What?!!! You don't detangle?

phyl73

Okay, so at work today, I read a thread about something and someone said they don't detangle when they co-wash, poo, etc. I was wondering, if it's time for the hair to shed or even break off, won't this happen once you decide to detangle? Is it even possible to never lose a shed hair even if you don't detangle? Help me understand......

hmm i see wat u saying.. like even if u dont detangle often when u finally do decide to detangle its just gonna be more shed hair coming out.. i dont really see the benefit in my opinion.... i like doing detangling more often caues first it makes it so much easier. I dont get how ppl dont detangle their hair after they wash it... even if i was gonna do a wash and go i would still try and detangle a bit with my fingers..

from experience I know that not detangling is problematic. You shed hairs everyday, no matter what. If these hairs are not removed, they wrap themselves around other hairs and tangle together which leads to unneccessary breakage.

I'm relaxed so I don't get a lot of tangles unless I'm using the wrong

conditioner....But I just run my fingers through my hair and detangle with

conditioner....I maybe comb my hair once a month and its still in the shower

with conditioner...But when I wash my hair in the shower I lose the shed

hair when I rinse...

from experience I know that not detangling is problematic. You shed hairs everyday, no matter what. If these hairs are not removed, they wrap themselves around other hairs and tangle together which leads to unneccessary breakage.

That's what I was thinking....I mean it just seems like you're postponing the inevitable and putting off what is going to happen therefore making the job tougher when you finally do it.

Remember some people shed more than others......I don't really shed a lot...I shed maybe a few strands at a time ...so I don't have this problem...I'm sure if I shed more I would have to detangle daily...

Some people find their hair does better when they do not detangle regularly. Apparently, when they finally do comb their hair, they have found gentle ways of getting rid of the mats/knots/tangles that develop and their hair thrives with very low manipulation. There is a thread all about it somewhere around here. Some people have lots of success with it. But it does not work for me. This form of low manipulation is high manipulation for me. That is, it actually does far more damage than the easy detangling I do a few times a week. Regular gentle detangling is what my hair needs.

It's just a matter of finding out what works for your hair. There's certainly no one right or wrong.

Really it's not even about the shed hairs.....it's more about the breakage. We all know that wet hair is very fragile, especially natural (because of more tangles) and some people get breakage while detangling so that's why they don't choose to do it for every wash. This helps to retain more length and keep ends thick. As the hair gets longer you have to do things differently to retain those very fragile, old ends.

I don't detangle daily and yeah my hair sheds but it'll come out when I do detangle......no biggie. It's not like it's bothering me or anything.....I don't even notice it.

Last edited:
I detangle every two weeks - yeah, there's shed hair in there, but because I'm wearing twists, it stays 'still' and doesn't have as much of a chance to tangle up with the other hair. If I wore my hair loose, I couldn't do low-mani styles.... I detangle as little as possible for the exact reason Pokahantas stated - I'm trying to reduce breakage, and no matter HOW gentle I am with my hair, ANYTIME I detangle/comb it, there's breakage.

I detangle every two weeks - yeah, there's shed hair in there, but because I'm wearing twists, it stays 'still' and doesn't have as much of a chance to tangle up with the other hair. If I wore my hair loose, I couldn't do low-mani styles.... I detangle as little as possible for the exact reason Pokahantas stated - I'm trying to reduce breakage, and no matter HOW gentle I am with my hair, ANYTIME I detangle/comb it, there's breakage.

Same here. I think you will get some degree of breakage no matter what you do so the key is to reduce it......that's where the low mani comes into play.

Have any of you seen the little bits of breakage when you shampoo? I used to wash my hair in the sink and I could see it easily in there where as shower washing you don't really notice because it goes straight down the drain. If you ever do experience seeing the actual breakage while shampooing you'll understand the reason for the low mani.

*nod* When I'm cowashing, as I stroke my hair, I see the tiny pieces of hair - my hair is finally long enough that I can almost determine if it's broken or shed just by length, and it's right irksome seeing those wee bits of hair. :nono: Makes me paranoid, sometimes - but then I realize just how much LESS breakage it is than EVER before, and I kinda calm down.

I'm still looking for the holy grail of breakage elimination, though. Low-mani is just as close as I've gotten so far.

I CW every day but I only detangle when I use shampoo. If I didn't detangle ever, my hair would be a mess and I would certainly lose a lot.

I do the exact thing as Nappy. I keep my hair in a bun until wash day. And for me It is a must that I detangle BEFORE I wash my hair. My hair is too weak when it is wet to comb it out. Especially now since I am almost 8 weeks post.

I haven't detangled for a month and don't plan to for at least 3 months.....
my hair is just fine, in fact i don't get single strand knots anymore

*nod* When I'm cowashing, as I stroke my hair, I see the tiny pieces of hair - my hair is finally long enough that I can almost determine if it's broken or shed just by length, and it's right irksome seeing those wee bits of hair. :nono: Makes me paranoid, sometimes - but then I realize just how much LESS breakage it is than EVER before, and I kinda calm down.

I'm still looking for the holy grail of breakage elimination, though. Low-mani is just as close as I've gotten so far.

Co-signing with nappywomyn/
I don't untangle my hair often either. Only when I take down my twists usually on a wash day. For this weekend, I'm not sure if I want to take them out and untangle or wash with the twists and keep going. My new goal is to keep twists or box braids in 1 month at a time- no detangling. When I do untangle, I spray in a detangler (sometimes I use S-curl instead of Giovanni cuz Gio is expensive IMO but water works fine sometimes) and gently comb each twist out individually. The less I comb, the less breakage I get.

The shed hair is the problem for me. If I don't remove it, it causes major tangles and then getting them out is where the breakage happens. I have to say, I don't get breakage when I detangle because I do it so regularly that detangling takes very, very little time and is a breeze. I can go three days or so without removing shed hair if my hair is in twists, though.

But I should add here that I don't get little bits of breakage just from washing my hair. :nono: If I did, I don't know what I would do. I'm sure I'd try to find a way to make low manipulation work. Somehow.

I haven't detangled for a month and don't plan to for at least 3 months.....
my hair is just fine, in fact i don't get single strand knots anymore

woa woa woa....how do you wear your hair? Now THAT's serious biz....

I 'm natural and i wear my hair in braids mostly. But someties i wear braidouts, buns, twistouts, twists, etc...

The key to doing this and not having tangled hair is TO ALWAYS WASH YOUR HAIR IN BRAIDS/TWISTS.

MY hair is never wet and loose at the same time; that is the formula for disaster tangled her.

I got this idea from NP :look:; i was skeptical at first but it my hair is doing really well. (i'm hair is 4b and really thick too)

I 'm natural and i wear my hair in braids mostly. But someties i wear braidouts, buns, twistouts, twists, etc...

The key to doing this and not having tangled hair is TO ALWAYS WASH YOUR HAIR IN BRAIDS/TWISTS.

MY hair is never wet and loose at the same time; that is the formula for disaster tangled her.

I got this idea from NP :look:; i was skeptical at first but it my hair is doing really well. (i'm hair is 4b and really thick too)

I do the same as you Moon and no problems here either. ie wash hair in twists or in sections, My hair wet and loose=disaster

I don't always detangle. I just run my fingers through. I had been doing it out of habit on wash day but it doesn't really make a difference either way. My hair just has a little less shrinkage if I comb through it. If I plan to do a braid out or twist out I'll just comb through each piece before I braid/twist it with a small comb.

I break all the rules.

I wear my hair loose everyday.
I only detangle once every 1-2 weeks (sometimes longer).
I co-wash 3x/week.

Learning how to detangle makes all the difference. There is a technique and if you learn it you don't have breakage. Tangles don't cause breakage how you handle it does.

I break all the rules.

I co-wash 3x/week.

Learning how to detangle makes all the difference. There is a technique and if you learn it you don't have breakage. Tangles don't cause breakage how you handle it does.

Do share, do share!!!!!!!!!!

I break all the rules.

I co-wash 3x/week.

Tangles dont cause breakage no but the manipulation can, at least 4 me. When i wash n the shower i dont c it as much because of course its getting washed straight down the drain but n the sink i can c up close and personal, thats how i know its there. Do u guys wash n the sink or shower?

Back