What Works, What Doesn't

CORBINS

I've used so many different products within the last 2 years to help my hair grow faster. Of them all, only a few have actually worked. I just wanted to share with everyone, as well as get feedback on what work for you and what didn't. I think different products work better for different people. I have 4b type hair and it normally grew 1/4" per month during the winter months, and 1/2" during the summer before starting my vitamin regimine.

Vitamins:
Shen Min- Worked - I noticed and increase in the thickness, darkness and amount of growth per month. This is the best vitamin for hair growth I ever purchased. I had to discontinue my use because of the expensive price of the product. Highly recommend.

Super Hair Energizers - I've been taking them since November 2004. My hair grows 1/2" per month on average. My hair usually grows 1/4" during the winter so it increased my growth by 1/4". I would recommend.

Ultra Nourish Hair (GNC) - Didn't work for me. I took them for 4 months. no comment.

Maxi-Hair Maximized - It had everything that my hair needed, but I didn't notice anything wonderful about the product. I used it for 6 months. I would recommend if you just want healthy looking hair.

L-Cysteine - I've noticed the most growth with this product. I get 3/4" per month when I take it faithfully. I've been trimming like crazy but I'm still noticing an increase in length. I'm still on schedule for the amount of growth that I should have this month even though I've trimmed 1/2" twice in the last 2 months. Highly recommend, take with caution. Take with Vitamin C to prevent renal stones.

Flaxseed Oil - No difference in growth, but a difference in the look and luster of my hair. my hair is shiner and healthier looking. I would recommend, especially because of it's health benefits.

Grape Seed Extract - I liked taking these, I just didn't notice any difference in my hair, but yet, my hair was doing well when I was taking them. I would recommend.

Products:
Wild Growth Oil - I don't believe that this product was intended to increase your hair growth. It makes my hair so soft and easy to manage, I think that is where it helps with hair growth. It helps you maintain the hair you have and keep it healthy. I love this stuff, but hate the smell. I would recommend.

Mane-Tail-Growth - "Hated it!!" This stuff stinks something fierce! It didn't do a thing for my hair, it made my forehead breakout into some kind of patchy rash. I used it for 1 month. I'm wearing braids so I dare not use it especially because it's summer and I read that you should avoid the sun while using it. I wouldn't recommend.

Surge Hair Revitalizer 14 - I got major "itchies" with this product. I can say that this may be the only topical product that I've used that worked. It didn't increase my growth by much, but it was noticable. I would recommend.

Super Hair Energizer Follical Spray- Didn't work. Will never waste my money again. Would not recommend.

Doo Gro Stimulating Growth Oil - The oil is good, has a wonderful smell, but I didn't notice anything amazing. I would recommend it though.

I guess I'll stop there. I can't remember everything I've taken. I'll look when I go home. If anyone has any information on what they've taken, please share!

I haven't tried:
Hair Formula 37
Hairtopia
Viviscal

I'd like to know if anyone is getting successful growth rates with these. Thanks!

Last edited:
CORBINS said:
Surge Hair Revitalizer 14 - I got major "itchies" with this product. I can say that this may be the only topical product that I've used that worked. It didn't increase my growth by much, but it was noticable. I would recommend.

When I first started using this, I noticed a dramatic decrease in shedding, but it took about a month before I noticed increased growth. I use it once every day or sometimes every other day with pretty fair growth results (3/4 an inch a month), but I use it mainly for shedding.

Corbins, are you taking the L-cysteine and vit c on an empty stomach? I started taking l-cycteine & vitamin c this week.

Thank you so much for sharing your honest point of view.

Based on the products listed, here are my reviews:

Wild Growth Oil - Makes my new growth VERY manageable. I can comb throught it with a fine-toothed comb even with tons of newgrowth. I apply it to my ends after misting them with water when I wear my hair in a ponytail. HIGHLY recommend it. Smell fades after a while.

Surge Hair Revitalizer 14 - I use it only after washing on my roots. Helps with shedding and great aid while detangling. I think it's excessive to use it everyday though. Yes, and the itchies will make you scale the walls! (Is that a good thing?)

Vitamins - I have tried GNC Ultra and Hair, Skin & Nails . . . with no noticeable increase in growth/health. It's hard to tell with these vitamins b/c at the time we begin taking them, we are also taking better care of our hair in general. I will try the L-Cysteine though as I hear nothing but good reviews.

I am not loyal to any products at this time, with the exception of the above two. I figure:

Water + oil = softer, moisturized hair

Nutritious diet w or w/o the help of supplements for deficiencies + water = shinier, healthier-looking hair

Protein + moisture = stronger and therefore longer hair

In most cases, it's not the products or vitamins themselves but the techniques that make all the difference.

nikki1971 said:
Corbins, are you taking the L-cysteine and vit c on an empty stomach? I started taking l-cycteine & vitamin c this week.
I tried taking it on an empty stomach but it made me feel sick, like I wanted to throw up. I eat something light before I take them.

Hairformula 37 works. Didnt measure the growth though. I only used it for 2 months. well, I wanted to get back on it since I got great results but they raised the price right nicely.

Doo gro tripple strength (purple) works for me.......sulphur is #4 ingredient

Liquid Amino acids work for me ....just have to find a taste I can deal with

Seems like my hair grew much faster with daily CO washes

oh....and when I was on a seafood binge, i got a lil growth spurt

and when I CO washed every 3 days with Cathy Howse homade pepermint CO, my hair grew faster than normal

CORBINS said:
I've used so many different products within the last 2 years to help my hair grow faster. Of them all, only a few have actually worked. I just wanted to share with everyone, as well as get feedback on what work for you and what didn't. I think different products work better for different people. I have 4b type hair and it normally grew 1/4" per month during the winter months, and 1/2" during the summer before starting my vitamin regimine.

Vitamins:
Shen Min- Worked - I noticed and increase in the thickness, darkness and amount of growth per month. This is the best vitamin for hair growth I ever purchased. I had to discontinue my use because of the expensive price of the product. Highly recommend.

Super Hair Energizers - I've been taking them since November 2004. My hair grows 1/2" per month on average. My hair usually grows 1/4" during the winter so it increased my growth by 1/4". I would recommend.

Ultra Nourish Hair (GNC) - Didn't work for me. I took them for 4 months. no comment.

Maxi-Hair Maximized - It had everything that my hair needed, but I didn't notice anything wonderful about the product. I used it for 6 months. I would recommend if you just want healthy looking hair.

L-Cysteine - I've noticed the most growth with this product. I get 3/4" per month when I take it faithfully. I've been trimming like crazy but I'm still noticing an increase in length. I'm still on schedule for the amount of growth that I should have this month even though I've trimmed 1/2" twice in the last 2 months. Highly recommend, take with caution. Take with Vitamin C to prevent renal stones.

Flaxseed Oil - No difference in growth, but a difference in the look and luster of my hair. my hair is shiner and healthier looking. I would recommend, especially because of it's health benefits.

Grape Seed Extract - I liked taking these, I just didn't notice any difference in my hair, but yet, my hair was doing well when I was taking them. I would recommend.

Products:
Wild Growth Oil - I don't believe that this product was intended to increase your hair growth. It makes my hair so soft and easy to manage, I think that is where it helps with hair growth. It helps you maintain the hair you have and keep it healthy. I love this stuff, but hate the smell. I would recommend.

Mane-Tail-Growth - "Hated it!!" This stuff stinks something fierce! It didn't do a thing for my hair, it made my forehead breakout into some kind of patchy rash. I used it for 1 month. I'm wearing braids so I dare not use it especially because it's summer and I read that you should avoid the sun while using it. I wouldn't recommend.

Super Hair Energizer Follical Spray- Didn't work. Will never waste my money again. Would not recommend.

Doo Gro Stimulating Growth Oil - The oil is good, has a wonderful smell, but I didn't notice anything amazing. I would recommend it though.

I guess I'll stop there. I can't remember everything I've taken. I'll look when I go home. If anyone has any information on what they've taken, please share!

I haven't tried:
Hair Formula 37
Hairtopia
Viviscal

I'd like to know if anyone is getting successful growth rates with these. Thanks!

Did you get rid of the MTG yet ? If not I will take it off your hands for a reasonable price.

I would like to add a review to this thread.
I've been taking MSM faithfully for the last 2 months. I take 4,000mg in the morning and 4,000mg in the evening, both with food. My hair growth is really taking off! My growth went from 1/2" to 1 1/2". I don't have headaches anymore, all of the negative side effects disappeared around the 1st month. I also have had an increase in my energy level, so that's an added bonus.

Another product that I'm trying is Nioxin Recharging Complex. I take one in the morning and one in the evening. I've only been taking it about 1 1/2 weeks, but I have noticed that my scalp is itching like crazy, it almost hurts (IS ANYONE ELSE HAVING THE SAME SYMPTOM?). I just braided my hair 3 days ago, and I know this sounds unbelievable, but they are getting loose already! I plan on NOT washing my braids for 2 to 3 weeks to see if I'm not seeing things. I'll try to remember to take pictures.

Corbins - Thank you so much for the product reviews. It looks like you used them regularly and over a prolonged period of time to give the a chance to work.
I know you're having fun testing products too:grin:

Glad to hear that about the Nioxin Recharging Complex.... i just ordered a 3-month supply from eBay last week. :grin: Cant wait til it arrives.

These reviews were really helpful. ITA w/most of the reviews, esp. Wild Hair Growth and Surge not contributing to growth but helping w/overall softness.

On the other hand, Ive gotten REALLY great growth with mtg.... but have also heard the same about avoiding use of this in the sun. I will probably use the m.n. over the summer, for this reason.

Thanks for the reviews!

I also got much better growth from Surge 14 than MTG, and I was willing to be STINKY for longer hair. :p Surge helped my Mom grow in a thinning crown area.

I've been taking Vita World's Mega Hair Vitamins along with others faithfully for months now, but can not tell if they are making a difference. :(

I also tried Scurl, and have no plans for ever putting this bottle down-- it helps to keep my nautral hair moisturized. :p

Corbin thanks for the reviews.

I have the MTG but cant bring myself to use it because it smells so horrible.

What's worked for me:

Elasta QP Oil Moisturizer - used with Jojoba Oil to seal
Elasta QP Mango Butter - used with Jojoba Oil to seal
Jojoba Oil, Olive Oil.
Being healthy - eating well, exercising, getting lots of sleep and drinking tons of water.

What hasn't worked:
NeXXus. Stuff was expensive and didn't do anything for me.
Hair Vitamins

comike said:
are you able to sleep when taking msm in the evening?

I used to take it at night with no problem. I took it last night and I was up all night. I am drinking more water than usual so maybe it's working better.

so what is MSM actually doing for you. Has it increase your hair growth? Does you skin look better?

WesternEyes said:
thanx corbins! that shen-min is sounding good.

I didn't like this. i think you have to take it 2 or 3x a day. it gave me headace. i don't thing taking a hair vitamin is nessassary, all you need is a good multivitamin, it has everything you need for over all health

Castor oil has been a God send for me.

Porosity Control of any kind is horrible for my hair.

I had the best success with hair growth when i was following Bargello's Vitamin Regimine.(i was taking my vitamins twice a day and the growth was crazy). I am back on this regimine for the summer- only taking vitamins once a day.

I am also gonna cosign on loving Surge 14 plus hair revitalizer- this stuff is great. Also infusium 23 frizz control leave-in is great too.

Castile soap is another God send for me.

Shea butter- for some reason it's just ok to me- not fabulous.

CORBINS said:
I would like to add a review to this thread.
I've been taking MSM faithfully for the last 2 months. I take 4,000mg in the morning and 4,000mg in the evening, both with food. My hair growth is really taking off! My growth went from 1/2" to 1 1/2". I don't have headaches anymore, all of the negative side effects disappeared around the 1st month. I also have had an increase in my energy level, so that's an added bonus.

Another product that I'm trying is Nioxin Recharging Complex. I take one in the morning and one in the evening. I've only been taking it about 1 1/2 weeks, but I have noticed that my scalp is itching like crazy, it almost hurts (IS ANYONE ELSE HAVING THE SAME SYMPTOM?). I just braided my hair 3 days ago, and I know this sounds unbelievable, but they are getting loose already! I plan on NOT washing my braids for 2 to 3 weeks to see if I'm not seeing things. I'll try to remember to take pictures.

:eek: Wow! MSM is doing wonders for you then. Thanks for the review. I am getting good results also but I have been also using Surge. I am going to slowly up my dosage of the MSM. I am only taking 2000 mg. Do you take the pills or the powerded form and what brand do you use? TIA :)

JazzyDez said:
:eek: Wow! MSM is doing wonders for you then. Thanks for the review. I am getting good results also but I have been also using Surge. I am going to slowly up my dosage of the MSM. I am only taking 2000 mg. Do you take the pills or the powerded form and what brand do you use? TIA :)

I use NOW MSM Lignisul in capsule form

I think (actually I KNOW) hair vitamins didn't work for me because well...I'd take 'em once in the morning on Monday and then maybe Tuesday night and then Thursday morning, and then Sunday.

So lemme retract my first statement and say that I didn't work for hair vitamins. :ohwell:

Back