What will you do when your DH retires?

janiebaby

It ran across my mind because I used to live in an area where most of the men were retired. I know one of the younger guys (40-45 maybe) was talking bout retiring. All of them are married to my knowledge tho I don't know what their wives do. I just don't have a good opinion of it unless the plan would be to do something else. Here's an article I came across.

http://www.retirementlifematters.com/relationships/help-my-husband-who-retired-0610/

Have you had the following lament, “Help my husband who retired AND he’s driving me crazy.” A retired husband can rock a relationship and many couples struggle to make the transition.

Many men struggle to find their way in retirement, despite the myths to the contrary. We’ve had a bit of fun at their expense and want to know if any of these describe your husband.

Mr. Fix-it – This describes my husband. He is always tinkering and puttering around the house and yard. And while projects get done, there are always many that are in various stages of completion.

Mr. Sportsman – He hits retirement and never looks back. Home is where he hangs his cleats. If he’s not playing golf, he’s hitting the slopes, kayaking, or hiking. As a spouse, your best bet is to join the fun or wait until his body gives out and then nurse him.

Mr Helicopterman – Lost and not sure what to do in retirement, he hovers around you. If you need to go the store, he’s right there. It can be fun at first, but after awhile many women want some breathing room.

Mr Computer Geek or Couch Potato – These are variations of the same theme. From the time they get up until they go to bed, they have their face in front of a screen. Try to drag them away and it’s like conversing with a zombie.

Mr Manager – This is usually describes a man who delegated to a lot people in his work. Now, all of a sudden, all he has is you. Even if you’ve survived for forty years without his help, now he feels the need to tell you how to clean, cook and run your home.

Retirement can be a very difficult transition for many men. Understanding on your part is important, but so is constructive communication. Helping them find balance is key. You need to have activities you do together, as well as a part. The most difficult situation is if he doesn’t have any interests and refuses to try new activities. Retirement can turn into a very long endeavor.

Written by Cathy Severson, MS

Last edited:
Dh is definitely Mr. Manager. I don't think he will ever completely retire. He would drive himself and me crazy.

I think Mr. Manager would be most difficult to live with....Mr. Sportsman may be the easiest out of the descriptions for me.

My dh was retired and still kept busy at 48, fixing computers, working on beats on his keyboard, and pee wee football with the boys.

Back