What will my natural texture be like?!

Candy_C

i'm going natural soon, (the next 12 months or so or maybe NOW, as i'm sure for a relaxer, but i cant be bothered anymore) and i'm wondering what my natural texture will be like. i cant even remember what it was like b4!!!

i remember it being very thick ,and wirey
not curly as such, but wavy

not sure what texture it was?? maybe a coarse 3b/c?...

littlemeviae9.jpg

(oh and, dont watch the teeth please! OR THE BUSHY BUSHY BROWS lol)

and because i was relaxed for nearly 10 years, will my natural texture have changed somehow??
how would you look after hair like this?

i was thinking of doing mostly what i do now, comb with planty of amla oil in, wash straight back in the shower and condition etc.

apply a leave in and avocado butter with water mix, and when 80% dry, finger comb to rid of any knots...

two strand twist on a random, and when wake, undo the twists and style, so i will have some good curl (my natural hair wasnt curly)...

watcha think? i will be goin natural soon for definate this time!!

I'M EXCITED! i just dont wanna cut into a lil twa, cos i dont do short hair. :lol:

Last edited:
I have read that since you have been relaxed your texture might not be the same. However, personally, my mom says that my hair is the exact same as it was when I was growing up without a perm. So you are just going to have to see. Congrats on your decision to go natural...I am struggling with that one myself but I haven't given up.

Also your roots/new growth might be an indication of how your natural hair is going to be, at least I would think.

Your texture will probably be the same as when you were younger except it may be more beautiful, because you know how to take care of it and keep it moisturized etc....you never know, you may come to find that you prefer having waves than curls.

But I think with your type hair 3b/c, you will get better results and more defined waves if you do your final comb out in the shower with conditioner in it instead of when it is 80% dry, because the finger combing will make it frizz and break up the wave defination.

foxy kc said:
Your texture will probably be the same as when you were younger except it may be more beautiful, because you know how to take care of it and keep it moisturized etc....you never know, you may come to find that you prefer having waves than curls.

But I think with your type hair 3b/c, you will get better results and more defined waves if you do your final comb out in the shower with conditioner in it instead of when it is 80% dry, because the finger combing will make it frizz and break up the wave defination.

yeah that sonds good, would finger combing be approprate seen as i would have combed it before the shampooing

you knwo what, i'm transitioning right now. i know exactly what style i'm going to wear aswell, i'm gonna two strand twist my hair and wear it out alot or in buns.

i function better @ the spur of the moment and this is the right time for me to do this!!!

Blackoutzangel05 said:
I have read that since you have been relaxed your texture might not be the same. However, personally, my mom says that my hair is the exact same as it was when I was growing up without a perm. So you are just going to have to see. Congrats on your decision to go natural...I am struggling with that one myself but I haven't given up.

Also your roots/new growth might be an indication of how your natural hair is going to be, at least I would think.

hmm yeah true,

well at the back my roots are about 2inches long and nice and wavy. i have loose curls not tight ones.

at the front not so curly or wavy. more so wavy and coarse - frizzy.

i cant wait

It may take awhile to see your true texture Candy. My newgrowth for the first 2 months is totally different than what is coming out of my scalp now at 3 months. It is exciting to see the different textures as they come in though.

gradygirl said:
It may take awhile to see your true texture Candy. My newgrowth for the first 2 months is totally different than what is coming out of my scalp now at 3 months. It is exciting to see the different textures as they come in though.

Yeah, I agree. I thought my hair was allover 4b, but when I did a mini BC in the back, my natural hair was more 4a and I have a few small patches of 3c in some areas.

Everyone's different, but it took my hair six months into my transition to show the texture that I would see as a natural. My hair is curlier (tighter with more shrinkage obviously) than my transitioning natural hair, but otherwise, the texture looks the same.

I can't recall my childhood natural texture, because I was usually pressed.

Blackoutzangel05 said:

This should give you some idea but you also have to remember that your relaxed hair is weighing the natural hair down. So this could make your natural texture appear to be looser bc the weight of the hair is stretching it out. My hair curled up more once I chopped my relaxed ends.

You also have to think about scab hair. Everybody doesn't experience it or even believes that it exists. I believe that I did experience it. But it depends on how long and how often your hair was relaxed. Somebody who relaxed for a longer period of time might take longer for their true texture to show. HTH...

I will say that my texture has changed since I was a child. It has gotten a LOT curlier :lol: the thickness is still the same however.

@ Bmoreflygurl you are right the relaxed strands definitely weight the natural roots down. I would have never guessed from my new growth that I would have spiral curls when I BC'D. well even when I BC'D the curly effect didnt come into play until about 4 or 5 months later. i need about 2 inches of hair inorder for spiral curls to form.

Back