What Went Wrong!!!!???

l_choice2001

So ladies i dont go to the salon until Saturday but i hair was itching really bad it was a week since i washed it, at the salon i get wet roller sets

so during the week i tried to maintain it with dry sets which always failed miserably

i assumed it was because my hair was dirty or from product buildup

so i was super excited for wash day and i had all my ducks in a row or so i thought

i used motions shampoo, and conditioner (i left it in for 15 min before rinse,) then i used motions leave in and the foaming wrap and setting foam

i used magnetic snap rollers, (i havent been able to master the duck bill clip method) got under the bonnet dryer (which kinda sucks because the drawstring in the bonnet it broken but it stayed on relativly well

i was under for about an hour, checked the curls they looked good!

i slept on the rollers overnight got up finger combed and picked out the curls and but the time i get to work my hair looks like crap!

i dont know what went wrong none of the curls are defined or formed well

i also need my ends cliped could that also be a factor? or am i using the wrong products ?
this is very frustrating

im trying to be a diy girl for my off weeks on the salon (i go every two weeks) but every attempt i make fails

ive tried twists braidouts dry rollers sets everything and i thought it was because of the above mentions product buildup/dirty hair but i washed my hair and it still was a miss

ladies helppppppp :(

Last edited:
So ladies i dont go to the salon until Saturday but i hair was itching really bad it was a week since i washed it, at the salon i get wet roller sets

so during the week i tried to maintain it with dry sets which always failed miserably

i assumed it was because my hair was dirty or from product buildup

so i was super excited for wash day and i had all my ducks in a row or so i thought

i used motions shampoo, and conditioner (i left it in for 15 min before rinse,) then i used motions leave in and the foaming wrap and setting foam

i used magnetic snap rollers, (i havent been able to master the duck bill clip method) got under the bonnet dryer (which kinda sucks because the drawstring in the bonnet it broken but it stayed on relativly well

i was under for about an hour, checked the curls they looked good!

i slept on the rollers overnight got up finger combed and picked out the curls and but the time i get to work my hair looks like crap!

i dont know what went wrong none of the curls are defined or formed well

i also need my ends cliped could that also be a factor? or am i using the wrong products ?
this is very frustrating

im trying to be a diy girl for my off weeks on the salon (i go every two weeks) but every attempt i make fails

ive tried twists braidouts dry rollers sets everything and i thought it was because of the above mentions product buildup/dirty hair but i washed my hair and it still was a miss

ladies helppppppp :(

Umm....the bolded part got my attention. I love Motions products; they are my staples, but I don't use the wrapping foam because it contains SD Alcohol, which dries out my hair. I think your set will come out better if you use just a few sprays of the leave-in and work it through your hair...for me, less product on my hair works best. Then, seal with a little-bit of serum (I use Proclaim 'cuz it's cheap.). Make sure your hair reamins wet while setting by keeping a spray bottle with plain water nearby to squirt each section as you "roll" along.

Last edited:
Umm....the bolded part got my attention. I love Motions products; they are my staples, but I don't use the wrapping foam because it contains SD Alcohol, which dries out my hair.

*Making mental note to toss bottle of Motions wrap lotion in the trash tonight*

You also should try a more "moisturizing" wrap foam, like Silk Elements (I love it; you can get it for $3 and change at Sally's), Keracare or Nairobi.

I also agree with Prospurr; keep a bottle of water handy to spray as you roll...and spray again right before you sit under the dryer.

For extra moisture, I add SAA, coconut oil, and serum to my misting water.

Have you ever tried an ACV rinse after your DC? That should help, too.

Was your hair 100% dry when you took the rollers out? That might be the problem. You're guaranteed to get frizzy, messy results if the rollers don't get a chance to dry all the way.

and p.s. what can i do with my hair now to fix this mess until i hit the salon

TIA

You have enough hair to pin up. It's longer than mine...and that's what I do btwn washes. Twist up the back, then pin with a couple bobby pins and "pouf" the top and pin the back of that, too. I'd add a side sweep, too.

I get lots of compliments, even though my hair is a mess!:blush:

yeah i checked to make sure it was totally dry, i think i will use not setting foam next time , or try lotta body i hear great things aboutit, and i will spray each section with water

any style options for my hair now since its washed and i dont go to the salon until sunday????

or try lotta body i hear great things aboutit, and i will spray each section with water

Watch that Lottabody...you THINK Motions could dry your hair out? Girl! You ain't seen nuthin!

If you gotta use Lottabody, be sure to dilute it with water. Your hair seems fine-textured like mine; you really don't need a lot of product on your hair to make it bounce or curly.

Been there, done that...wasted mad money and time.

I had the exact same results from my first rollerset. Took the rollers out when I was positive that my hair was dry. Curls seemed fine. 20 minutes later it was a mess. I gave it some thought and decided a couple of things...

The reason why I tried the rollerset in the first place is because my ends were especially ddddrrrrryyyyy. So dry that I was afraid to put direct heat on it. Although I DC'd and used leave in, my ends weren't truly moisturized. So after 20 minutes they dried out again and curled right back up to their previous fried state.

Second I think I used too much leave-in trying to compensate for my lack of moisture. This made my hair sticky and mushy so that it couldn't hold a curl.

I haven't used the products you used, but I really think we had similar experiences. The other day I used ORS Replenishing Pak for the first time and for the first time in a long time I really feel like my ends have moisture.

Good luck

When I go to the salon for wash and sets and do it myself I never use a setting lotion. It has stiff stuff in it. A leave in conditioner should be suffiecient. when I take out the curlers I wrap it before I get in the shower and after I get dressed I un wrap it. since you may not have time in the morning to fic the curls the way you want it the wrap may be best. A good hairstyle for right now will be a ponytail..i usually gel and tye down my edges.

When I go to the salon for wash and sets and do it myself I never use a setting lotion. It has stiff stuff in it. A leave in conditioner should be suffiecient. when I take out the curlers I wrap it before I get in the shower and after I get dressed I un wrap it. since you may not have time in the morning to fic the curls the way you want it the wrap may be best. A good hairstyle for right now will be a ponytail..i usually gel and tye down my edges.

do you think if i i rolled it again for a dry set it would work since the setting foam had worn off???

i would roll and sit under the dryer for like 39 mins maybe??

I like to fancy myself a rollersetting diva thanks to the tips I've learned here and other places. some tricks, don't put too much hair on each roller especially if airdrying. The less thick the section of the hair you roll, the straighter it will be. Spray each peice until it is sopping wet with serum! Each peice!! comb through each small peice with a rat tooth comb until it is smooth. Shouldn't take you but three passes or so, but do it until it lays down sleek. Once you've got that section sleek, grab your magnetic roller base (I use these too, they work for me), while holding the section of hair you just combed taut. You can choose whether to roll your hair from the end or base. I roll the hair at the base. THE KEY IS NOT TO GET A FISH HOOK, so make sure that the end of your hair is FLAT TO THE ROLLER, and wrap it around several times (depending on length, to be sure, and then as you are rolling, keep tightening the hair, so that all the hair rests around the roller as smooth. TRY IT, let me know how it works out for you, keep the faith....I rollerset, and bun only right now, only put heat on my hair post relaxer.

Other styling options are buns, and a braidout :)

Last edited:
You can, but if you want your hair to have "wavy" texture then you should really be braiding it while it is pretty soaking wet. At least it makes my hair wavy, when I braid soaking wet. Wash your hair, moistrise, detalingle, moustirese again, seal with oil, then just braid it. YOu can use serum if you want, or wrapping or curl defining mouse. I use silk elements curl defining mousse. I like the look it gives. Good luck to you :)

I might add that you will have to rewet your hair the way it sounds to style again, because it's probably not salvagable. But you can just "rewet" remoisturise your hair if it's not to heavy with product. this way you don't have to dry it out with shampoo again. Rewet hair, remoisturise, detangle, and braid out. Put it in I suppose around 16 braids looking at your siggy pic. Sleep in them, put them up in a bonnet or whatever. Unbraid them in the morning.

M.

Back