Votes: 57 22.3%
  • Sew in's

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • Natural Hair

Votes: 69 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 55 21.5%

• Total voters
this is a good thread. i would like to hear more from some ladies that didn't use any type of weave (i.e. braids, sew ins, phony pony) or any type of wig (i.e. lacefront, fall, regular wig). i'm in a small town and no one does the weave thing and i don't like wigs. i'm only neck length as well. anybody else grow from this length without the help of protective style?

This is a good thread. Well i'm not neck length, but this is what I do. I braid or band @ nite. Take loose and wear natural. I don't care for wigs or weave either ITCHY, ITCHY, ITCHY:yep: BC'D 09-07-08

Last edited:
I have committed to rollersets for six months. No direct heat. I sit under a hair bag for 20 minutes to let the hair dry a little and then I let it air dry for the rest of the night with the rollers in. When it starts to look ratty then I pull the front back and pin it or twist it and manipulate it so that I look decent. Silkydreamgirl

I transitioned for 8 mos and I went back and forth between braids and sew-ins; wearing my natural hair in between to give my hair a break.

this is a good thread. i would like to hear more from some ladies that didn't use any type of weave (i.e. braids, sew ins, phony pony) or any type of wig (i.e. lacefront, fall, regular wig). i'm in a small town and no one does the weave thing and i don't like wigs. i'm only neck length as well. anybody else grow from this length without the help of protective style?

when i was relaxed i just wash and wrapped weekly and when it got collar then shoulder length, i started getting rod/roller sets. that was it. it grew to apl and then i decided to go natural and i had cut my hair to a fade. well i did that again this year and now all i have been doing is wash and gos. i'm too lazy to twist it right now. oh i oiled and moisturized my hair faithfully and i always tied it up at night or slept on my arms.

I'm at 13 weeks post and still growing it out. I'm wearing a bun faithfully on top of my head or in the middle.I'll be doing this until the process is complete.

Mine are spirals. I get them done every two weeks. To keep them cute and fresh until the next wash, I pin curl. See below for my pin curls. The nape area is all natural and the rest is about 80% natural.
View attachment 42842

Last edited:
I'm doing twist outs & Caruso curlers until I can bun with my real hair, then I'll bun 100% until BSL. I moisturize once a day and oil it twice a day focusing heavily on my ends.

ETA- I retained all my length before I cut my hair by bunning 24/7.

Last edited:
I wear sew ins as a grow out style. I started over in January with a fresh TWA and I got my first install on Feb 9th and then again on April 1st. My hair has grew significantly. If i continue at this rate, i will be SL by the end of the year. Im very happy with the progress that I've made so far. The key is to moisturize or oil your scalp if not every day, then every other day. Also wash your weave, that way it looks fresh and new all of the time.

while growing out my relaxer I used cornrows and individual braids. For growing out for length I used two strand twists. They're great but they get boring so you add some flowers or jewels and you're good. I'll probably do individual braids this summer hopefully.

Back