WHAT WAS YOUR A-HA MOMENT

Embyra

Regarding how you care/view your hair....

I had mine a few days ago while reading this..
http://livecurlylivefree.blogspot.com/2009/01/hair-porosity.html
it probably has been posted on here before

quote from article

Porosity is, simply put, the hair's ability to absorb and retain moisture. Porosity is a critically important factor in determining one's curly hair care. Since moisture is what defines and shapes our curls, the inability to keep moisture within the hair shaft will defeat the most valiant efforts to maximize curl potential.

If you don't know your hair's porosity, you won't be able to make the best product and maintenance routine choices to maximize the amount of moisture your curls retain. The existing "curl classification systems" never, ever mention porosity in their classification process. Since lack of moisture is one of the biggest causes of frizz, I personally find that odd in the extreme. Just one more reason I don't find those systems very helpful or informative.

my last thread i was asking about my hair type and sighing at why my hair is soo darn frizzy :ohwell:

the frizz is rampant in my hair now compared to when i was using a different shampoo

I checked the ingredients and saw Glycerin Aloe Barbadensis Hydrolysed Wheat Protein Panthenol.....all are Humectants which are VERY important to my low porosity hair

the shampoo i use now has Ammonium Laureth Sulfate the one i used in the past disodium laureth sulfosuccinate my hair below using the shampoo with humectants

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

i know my hair will always have a tendency to be frizzy but now i know how to tame the beast :lol: ill start using the curly girl method:yep:

Last edited:
My a-ha moment was when I washed my hair and just decided to let it air dry because I wanted to "examine it". I saw my true hair and boy let me tell you I figured out why my hair grows in like it does. It is like short in the front and long in the back and no amount of cuts (had 3) to even it up have made it any different. I then realized that I have VERY shrunken 4b in the front, from the area superior to my temples and forward. It's very shrunken. The area in the back from the center of my and back grows downward and is looser and softer. It is WEIRD and I hate that. My braids looks weird and I can never wear a puff because the front won't pull into the hair tie. It will pop up no matter what amount of gel you put on there. I mean....I still believe Im a slow grower in the front (crown) of my head but now I know part of that is due to the fact that I have two different textures in my head.

1st moment: for me it was seeing fotkis of other naturals. i started to become envious. then i was like "wait, my hair is naturally kinky, why envy when i could let my hair just 'be'"

2nd moment: seeing sera2544's youtube and realizing that i could have LONG natural hair.

1st moment: for me it was seeing fotkis of other naturals. i started to become envious. then i was like "wait, my hair is naturally kinky, why envy when i could let my hair just 'be'"

2nd moment: seeing sera2544's youtube and realizing that i could have LONG natural hair.

RIGHT:yep:

My ah ha moment was when i discovered how effective wigs/scurl daily and relaxer stretching is when it comes to my hair growth.

Realizing that a good detangler/leave in makes a world of a difference with transitioning/natural hair.

When I henna'd a week a go. Stopped all of my transitioning problems almost immediately from shedding and tangling to gray coverage. I think transitioning will be ok from this point on.

#1: Just recently when I realized what my hair is truly like when properly detangled. I thought I was doing it before but now it washes and dries smoother and somehow I'm retaining more moisture.

I grew up with a very negative self-image about my 4b hair. My aha moment was several years ago when I had no more money to constantly go to the hairdresser and I found these hair boards and read several books on hair care. I saw pictures of other women with 4b hair that I thought was gorgeous. I also recall looking at Cathy Howse's hair for a really long time and saying, "wow she's not mixed". It was the first time in a really long time that I began to stop thinking that my hair was "ugly" and would "never grow".

I still hear the SAME comments from the same family members about "good hair" and "good skin tone" but the difference is that now I don't blindly automatically accept it. I think that on some level I have been able to influence a few friends and family members positively.

My A-Ha moment -

*I realized my hair needs a moisturizing leave-in after each/wash..

*I have to re-moisturize my braids after the 3rd day & seal..

*My edges need JBCO daily

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:
I am still waiting for the big a-ha. My mini a-ha was learning better technique for washing and detangling.

Sent from my DROIDX using Long Hair Care Forum App

I had mine when changing hair products recently. I had tried a lot of different products with no success. Since using Komaza Care and Oyin Handmade, my hair is retaining moisture and retaining length. I am no longer a product junkie.:drunk::drunk: I am now enjoying practicing my twists. I am in the midst of a 6 month personal twist challenge. I'm getting a lot better at doing them and I hope to be able to show them to the you guys soon.

Last edited:
I feel like I've had tons of aha's during my journey so far, but my most recent one came when I dyed my hair for the first time. I realized just how much ANY permanently altering chemical damages hair.

I don't regret dying my hair because I've wanted to for years, but I now know I will never put ANY permanent chemical in my hair again.

my A-Ha Moment was reading a few threads about blunt ends and realizing that my ends weren't damaged. my hair just naturally doesn't grow evenly. I think seeing all progress pics for some reason it never occurred to me that the woman in said pic most likely trimmed. I wish I would've had that moment last year before all of the unnecessary trimming I did.

My first a-ha moment was finding hairboards. The pics, information etc; was such a huge relief. I knew "I had arrived" lol

My second a-ha moment was when I left my hair alone this winter with halfwigs. It retained sooo much length it was ridiculous.

Finding the hairboards FOR SURE.
Realizing that I was combing WAY too much (now i only comb on wash day)
Figuring out that Mane & Tail Conditioner really DOES make my hair grow longer and thicker.
Realizing that I need a vitamin for maximum hair growth.
When I figured out that I don't need to trim so often to "make" my hair grow - it grows regardless.
When I stopped using heat so often and upped the moisture and sealing routine.

All of those Ah-ha moments sent me from ear length to bra strap length and LHCF held my hand the entire way. Now I'm shooting for Mid-back length. But right now, I have the hair of my dreams.

Still waiting for my A-ha moment :lol:
I am gonna fall over if your hair gets any more gorgeous than it already is. Every time I see your avatar and siggy I think "why is my dream hair growing from her head???" :grin:

So when you do have your aha moment please share with the class!!!

-I've always had a sensitive scalp, one day it was particularly irritated and it was relaxer time. I was like why am I going to make the problem worse by putting chemicals on top of it? I took a break from relaxers and then finally said why not ever get them again?

-When I realized I have fine not coarse strands and my hair does not have the same needs as coarse strands

-Realized if I take my natural type four hair and pile it all up on my head like i'm in a shampoo commericial, its going to tangle like mad. So now I wash in sections

Back