what to use to tie twists up?

naturallyme

i would like to know what do u use to tie twists up so that they wont mess up or wont shrunk up. every time when i tie mines up they don't look right the next day like they shrunk up. oh and i twists my own hair i don't use extentions. thanks in advance!!!

My hair swells up by morning too, but it doesn't swell by too much. I tie my hair up with a satin scarf, and the results don't seem to be adversely affect by the swelling. Other than swelling, my twist aren't messed up in the morning.

I've had luck with pinning them down, kinda sorta like a wrap. I grab my hair in 2 sections as if I'm making 2 ponytails, cross the sections over each other and pin each section down using large hair pins. Sounds complicated but it's really easy and usually takes less than 2 min. Hope this makes sense - here's a pic:

P1010054-vi.jpg

Those are pretty Carefree. Does pinning them up that way make them flat? I like bouncy poofy hair, weird I know :D I'm going to attempt to twist my hair for the first time this weekend.

I learn something new everyday here! Thanks so much for those pics Carefree...I don't do individual twist but now you've given me an idea to prevent shrinkage for my twistouts.

Instead of letting my hair hang down with rollers I'm going to try pinning them toward the start of the twist. Thanks! I'll let you guys know how it works and if I see a big difference in length. :)

BLESSED1 said:
Those are pretty Carefree. Does pinning them up that way make them flat? I like bouncy poofy hair, weird I know :D I'm going to attempt to twist my hair for the first time this weekend.

Blessed1 - when I did it with big twists they didn't flatten that much, I think that probably will happen with smaller twists though. I prefer bouncy, poofy hair too - when my hair comes out flat I just let the steam from the shower hit it or run damp hands over my hair and it poofs right up. Good luck with your first twisting session!

I hope it works for ya JenMD!

This is my problem. My twists look good when I do them at night, but the definition is gone in the am. I braid mine going strait back from my head. My silk scarf didn't help. What am I doing wrong? :confused:

Carefree said:
Blessed1 - when I did it with big twists they didn't flatten that much, I think that probably will happen with smaller twists though. I prefer bouncy, poofy hair too - when my hair comes out flat I just let the steam from the shower hit it or run damp hands over my hair and it poofs right up. Good luck with your first twisting session!

I hope it works for ya JenMD!

Oh you know what you're right, I did them last night and they were flat this morning. Took me 3 hours but I wound up doing them kind of small, I'm going to do them bigger next time but overall I like them! I went to the gym this morning and got compliments, and I was only wearing them up in a bun. I put my hair in rollers when I got home, soaked in the tub and took the rollers out shortly afterwards and they were plumper already. I guess the steam really does work!

Back