What to do with Apoghee Essential Fatty Acids ? (EFA)

Stella B.

I just purchased a bottle of Aphogee's Essential Fatty Acids for the hair. The mixture is concentrated, and the directions say to mix 1/2 tsp. into any perm wave lotion. It's gentle-you can also add it to your bath water to soften the skin. My plan is to make a mix with cholesterol, conditioner, EFA's and a little coconut oil and use it as a part of my deep conditioning treatment, with heating cap, and then rinse it out. I have been reading that all hair needs and loves fats of this kind, as the fats (omega 3,6, and 9) improve the condition of the hair. So, should I mix it with cholesterol, or dilute it and make a rinse? What's the best way to use this???? I know a lot of you have used this before, so I'd appreciate any suggestions or ideas on how to add EFA to my regimen. Thanks!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I just purchased a bottle of Apoghee's Essential Fatty Acids for the hair. The mixture is concentrated, and the directions say to mix 1/2 tsp. into any perm wave lotion. It's gentle-you can also add it to your bath water to soften the skin. My plan is to make a mix with cholesterol, conditioner, EFA's and a little coconut oil and use it as a part of my deep conditioning treatment, with heating cap, and then rinse it out. I have been reading that all hair needs and loves fats of this kind, as the fats (omega 3,6, and 9) improve the condition of the hair. So, should I mix it with cholesterol, or dilute it and make a rinse? What's the best way to use this???? I know a lot of you have used this before, so I'd appreciate any suggestions or ideas on how to add EFA to my regimen. Thanks!!!!!!!
I just squirt some in my DC when I think about it or I read some peeps use it as an oil rinse....

It's an oil and yes you can get it at Sally's. It's called Aphogee Essential Oils for Hair. I add it to my relaxer.

I'm not sure if Sally's has it, I got mine from another local bss- Longwood. The ingredient list reads: Soybean oil, Linoleic acid, Oleic acid, Polmitic acid, Linolesic acid, Stearic acid, Lecihtin, Sesame oil, Corn oil, Benzoic acid, Proplyparaben

Label on bottle reads:
E.F.A oil concentrate
This special all natural, cold pressed and raw, unrefined combination of oils helps restore the natural beauty of processed hair. It makes hair soft and pliable with a superb sheen and enables you to achieve a healthy permanent wave with extra lustre.

Sounds like it adds shine and moisture, and not a lot of protein.

Thanks AtlantaJJ, and Tishee, this could possibly work in any part of my routine, where I add oil!

Last edited:
You both are welcome! Stella, I'm assuming you have the old bottle. They have repackaged their products. They're still the same, I don't think they've changed any ingredients. Does yours look like this
EssentialOils.jpg

I must have the old one, because my bottle looks nothing like this. Its in a white squirt bottle with purple lettering. I will go back to the bss to make a comparison, although I think we're comparing two different oils. What I purchased is an essential fatty oil concentrate that needs to be mixed with another product, and washed out. The essential oil pic that you posted looks like a scalp oil blend that you can leave in your hair. I'll go to the bss to check it out today.Thanks for bringing this to my attention!!

My bottle looks like this (with the dent on the side and all)...:ohwell:
Sorry, the image did not load in. You can google it to see what it looks like.

Last edited:
I must have the old one, because my bottle looks nothing like this. Its in a white squirt bottle with purple lettering. I will go back to the bss to make a comparison, although I think we're comparing two different oils. What I purchased is an essential fatty oil concentrate that needs to be mixed with another product, and washed out. The essential oil pic that you posted looks like a scalp oil blend that you can leave in your hair. I'll go to the bss to check it out today.Thanks for bringing this to my attention!!

If you can return it because an oil bottle with a dent means the oil is old and could be rancid ...I never purchase them when they have dents in the bottles.

That's what I was thinking, but every one of the bottles (there were at least 8 bottles) had a dent in it on the side. Weird!!

Every bottle of Aphogee EFA (Esential Fatty Acid) Ive ever seen has a dent... Its more like a vacuum seal causing the bottle to indent...

FWIW, Essential Fatty Acid has been DISCONTINUED ( was about a 24-30 oz green & white bottle) .... ID kill for some...have seen it from time to time in lesser used BSS...

Aphoghee has replaced it with a less economical "Essential Oils for Hair" which comes in a approx 6 oz purple & white bottle with spout on top

My bottle looks like this (with the dent on the side and all)...:ohwell:
Sorry, the image did not load in. You can google it to see what it looks like.

Girl, yes you have the original one. This is the one that I was wanting. It seems like it's better. What are you suppose to mix it with?

Every bottle of Aphogee EFA (Esential Fatty Acid) Ive ever seen has a dent... Its more like a vacuum seal causing the bottle to indent...

FWIW, Essential Fatty Acid has been DISCONTINUED ( was about a 24-30 oz green & white bottle) .... ID kill for some...have seen it from time to time in lesser used BSS...

Aphoghee has replaced it with a less economical "Essential Oils for Hair" which comes in a approx 6 oz purple & white bottle with spout on top

Yes, i believe all the bottles have dents. The new ones I seen at Sally's all had dents.

Back