What to do with a sore scalp

LondonDiva

I touched up yesterday and even though it looks real good /images/graemlins/smile.gif and I'm happy with the actual hair, I think I may have overdone it in the scalp area. I based the hell out of my hair with vaseline, but (and it's my own damn fault) I left it on just a tad too long (I was dancing to In da Club in the bathroom /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif /images/graemlins/nono.gif). And I know this because even the water which I had to use on cool was stinging my scalp.

I can't remember if I itched, I might have done as I cut my nails yesterday before I relaxed so I may have itched with my nails sub-conciously and not realised.

Anyway I know my scalp is sore underneath this ponytail and I wondered if there is any oil I can get after work to make this subside. I don't want to put anything on the scalp like the profectiv stimulant

Growthnhealing.jpg

because it will make my scalp TINGLE even more.

I have Olive oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil and wildgrowth oil at home. I have some essential oils like lavendar, rosemary, cedarwood, thyme also.

Please help a stupid sistah like myself and her scalp. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

i have a wild idea, if your scalp is on fire, put any of your oils in the freezer till they are just cold and then apply to the whole of your scalp and massage GENTLY to spread.

LMAO picturing LD dancing around the house with relaxer in her head! /images/graemlins/drunk.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/drunk.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have only used oilive oil out of your list of oils that you mentioned, but know it has been used to heal inflammed skin for centuries.

GiGi I was, believe me like a total utter prick, dancing around the bathroom like I was 'in da club' for real. I need to whoop my own ass for that. /images/graemlins/spank.gif

Thanks for the recommendation though. I will try the Olive oil tonight.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
LondonDiva said:
......(I was dancing to In da Club in the bathroom /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif /images/graemlins/nono.gif)......

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm3grin2orange.gif
@ dancing to In the Club. Girl, you're too much!

ArmyQT I used the Affirm Lye relaxer mixed with loads of olive oil, the more Olive Oil I added the better it was on my hair, it took a lot quicker. I did each section in about 6 minutes and had 4 sections. I washed them out in the order I applied them too but left the nape and the hairline LAST and had the cream on for 5 minutes there as I'm very vary of these areas as they are so delicate.

LD, I bet your hair looks really nice!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif A few more questions....
1) How long have you been using the Affirm?
2) What were you using before?
3) What results does the Affirm give compared to your last relaxer?
4) Is this the relaxer you plan on using from now on?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm getting an Affirm touch-up in March and would like to get some specifics on what I can expect. Thanks LD. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
LondonDiva said:
ArmyQT I used the Affirm Lye relaxer mixed with loads of olive oil, the more Olive Oil I added the better it was on my hair, it took a lot quicker

[/ QUOTE ]

thats an ashtonishing find.was it the regular or mild affirm?

Oooooh ArmyQT apart from the tenderness on the scalp it looks hot. I'm very pleased with my results considering I did it myself and I added MORE Olive oil to it which for some strange reason made the hair take that bit quicker. Who knows it might have something to do with the fact I whip up the relaxer and make it smooooooove rather than just use it straight out of the tub, therefore minimizing me having to smooth the relaxer into the hair afterwards.

1) I have been using the affirm for close to a year now. I'm at the end of my 5lb tub I bought less than a year ago. I'm very pleased with the Affirn although it is a lil harsh on the scalp so base well and don't itch. And under any circumstances DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT jam to any hip hop in the bathroom.

2) I was using the Motions lye (without oil) before and prior to that the bodiphier. Both were piles of /images/graemlins/censored.gif on my hair and I was using the Motion Super as my hair can't take anything too well, it's very coarse and resistant.

3) Smoothness, no undreprocessed look, with the added olive oil a lot more shine. I've had NO hair problems since using the Affirm. No dull undreprocessed hair at all. Be careful though this stuff takes quickly so if you don't like the bone straight look time it and watch your hair. But if you do like the BS look then you'll like it. I do remember you saying that your hair was superfine, but in that case I'd use the lowest strength and coat your hair very well before use or something.

4) Yes without a doubt. Unlike hair products which I like to chop and change to see if there is something better I have not in the least bit been tempted to switch from affirm. I get the salon look at home and I'm happy with it and so is my boyfriend's sister who I relaxed with it 2 weeks ago (she was using No lyes before) and she won't switch back.

Don't apologise. That's what we're here for. I like answering questions. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
Hell, ask me more /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks sooo much for that review. I can't wait to get my relaxer now!!! I'm so glad that it's working for great for you. I'm like you, I may be a big "PJ", but when it comes to relaxers, I want one that I will use and love forever. Where did you get the Affirm and did you get the other stuff from their line? If so, how would you rate them? More specifically, I'm fishing for a review on the 5 n 1 reconstructor for after the relaxer. Lord knows I have enough neutralizing shampoo (Elucence).

Oh BTW LD, I'm going to the salon to get this done, hence the stylist interview I posted about last week. After underprocessing my hair on the last 2 relaxers, I really need some professional help right now. After I get a good handle on that, then I can go ahead and start back doing them myself. Just an FYI. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would suggest that you use the lavender on your scalp, it is known for its healing properties. I think you need to add it to a carrier oil first though.
When I had a hurtin' scalp from my last stylist experience I broke open vitamin e capsules and put them on. Later the next day I found some comfrey salve that had lavender oil in it and put that on my scalp. it really helped.

i have also heard people spraying isoplus oil sheen to heal damaged scalps, this is actually listed on the can!

ArmyQT you're welcome /images/graemlins/smile.gif
I use only step one which is the protector that you apply to the hair before the relaxer. I don't notice anything spectacular when I use it as it's just a protector so it doesn't get relaxer on it anyway. I use motion neutralizing shampoo and for a conditioner I use the elucence one straight after I rinse the relaxer out then I shampoo about 3-5 times really well.

ArmyQT ask your stylist to add some olive oil to your relaxer and make sure it's whipped up real good like a yoghurt/cream consistency I found that the use of olive makes my relaxing experience a whole lot better, the oil penetrates into the hair shaft, and in general I think the mixing up of it fair pretty well overall.

I used the 5 in 1 on Nicole's hair after I rinsed the relaxer and guess Affirm products complement each other but I noticed nothing incredibly special afterwards. Some people use all the products when relaxing I just make sure I have the neutalizing shampoo on hand and a good ph balanced conditioner after my relaxer. For the price they wanted for some of the other stuff I would of have to have taken out a second mortgage. I think I'll stick with the motion neut. shampoo next time after it's done any way cause it gets the job done and is better on my pocket. Some people just don't fell comfortable using different products during toucuh up time.

Scalpacin is a clear liquid and will heal the scalp in a couple of days.

Thanks to all the ladies that recommended something for my sore scalp /images/graemlins/smile.gif. I settled for a concoction of olive oil with added drops of lavendar essential oil in the end.

This was the most tender my scalp has ever been, but I handled it very gently last night rubbing it all over. I think what made it so sore was the itching, that I never realised I did so badly until after the touch up. My scalp doesn't feel so bad today, so I'm hoping the lavendar did it's thing over night. I'm going to continue applying it daily for a few weeks just to be on the safe side and give my hair a a good 4-5 days from today before I wash it, I'd rather the scalp heal up and the tenderness all gone before I go and aggrivate it again. Let this be a lesson learned to me. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back