What to do when you go to a salon for a trim

MSCHICHI

I went for a trim a month ago with great results.

I decided to be as proactive as possible, and I think that made the difference. Here is what I did and I advise anyone to do:

1. Take a carpenter's retractable tape measure with you (the kind where the tape is made of thin metal, and locks in place)

2. Make sure they cut it dry, and naturals should thermally straighten the hair if you want it even. I pressed and flatironed it myself.

4. If you want it cut from the very bottom only as I did, specifically say this. (I also told him I wanted it combed straight back before he trimmed it, so it would be very even.) If you want it trimmed throughout, explain this too.

3. Roll out as many inches on the tape measure that you want cut off, and lock it into place. Show it to your hairdresser. One reason hairdressers take off too much is that they guesstimate. What they cut, and what they think they cut can be very different.

4.Tell them they need to hold the tape measure up against the hair as they cut. When they make the first cut, have them show you the hair they have cut, and measure the cut hair with tape measure. If you want to, have them do this for each cut they make.

5. Make sure you can see exactly what they are doing. Do not let them turn you away from the mirror. Ask them to trim slowly so you can see.

If your hairdresser doesn't like any of this, then find a new hairdresser. This is YOUR hair, and YOU know what YOU want. Do not be afraid to stop them at any point, or walk out if you have to.

I was nervous because this was my first appointment with this guy, and the first time I had been to a hairdresser in a long time (trust issues /images/graemlins/smirk.gif) He was totally comfortable with all of this, and it took 10-15 mins tops for the trim (I needed 2 inches off) and another 5 for a quick curl. HTH /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
2. Make sure they cut it dry, and naturals should thermally straighten the hair if you want it even. I pressed and flatironed it myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had this done to me and i liked it. i saw immediately how much was taken off because sometimes when the hair is wet it is stretched and when it dries especially with curly hair it is a lot shorter than anticipated. i always thought it would work better if it was wet dont know why but with it cut dry surprisingly the difference was noticable and the breakage i had experienced stopped all without one drop of water applied to the hair. God bless you all.

Hi MSCHICHI,

If your hairdresser doesn't like any of this, then find a new hairdresser. This is YOUR hair, and YOU know what YOU want. Do not be afraid to stop them at any point, or walk out if you have to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definately agree with that. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I don't go to salons anymore, but if I ever do go, I will definately use your tips! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

That's some good advice Mschichi, I would say to those who are afraid of asking their stylist to do this for them, to print this off and give it to them.

NubianAngel had a GREAT suggestion too. Make the hairdresser hold the clippings in her/his hand and show them to you so you can actually SEE the length! All of these tips are GREAT and I will put to PRACTICE!!!!!

bumping..... in light of Azalia's recent experience

NayNay....I did what NubianAngel did as well! I had him show me the clippings in his hand and I measured them.

I really agree with all of the suggestions!! You can not be too careful. Recently I went to get my hair trimmed by my hairdresser.

I have weird experiences with her, and so something is telling me that soon I will have to do my own trims.....

But anyway,I got 1/2 inch trimmed, and I think one of the things that kept her "honest" was that I took my camera with me.

I had her take a picture of my hair BEFORE the trim, and I made her take one after and I told her it was so I could "compare the pics and see if did what I asked and if you are slowing up my progress" (I'm too blunt). She ended up TRIMMING only.

All the suggestions above though will really ensure honesty, and then I think a camera for your own review will help as well.

That is so, sad, when you got to take a camera..
Sad, sad, saaad.

LOl, If I go again, I'm gonna get a signed contract, stating that if you take millicentimeter more than i asked, you agree to pay me the sum of $1,000... LOL

LOl, If I go again, I'm gonna get a signed contract, stating that if you take millicentimeter more than i asked, you agree to pay me the sum of $1,000... LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, if you find a hairdresser who agrees to that, let me know so that I can go there. /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mindymouse said:
That is so, sad, when you got to take a camera..
Sad, sad, saaad.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Actually I took the camera for MY sake. I happen to be one of those people that think I am NOT making progress, AND my eyes play tricks on me "I think she took too much" etc.

Well, when I took the camera, I see that 1. She didn't take too much 2. My hair is making great progress.

I learned to be a photo taker from one of the gals here /images/graemlins/wink.gif and it helps in keepig things in perspective. Not to say that some hair dressers aren't weed wackers, but I think if you had a "before" and "after" pic, you can make a true assesment of how much she really took off. But obviously in the case of 4" being taken off, you can't be too careful IMO.

But I agree that what's sad is when you go to a <font color="red">professional </font> and get all your damn hair cut off like what happened to Azalia!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

This makes me mad to hear about, and if a camera, a ruler, a contract, a protractor, and a witness and a priest, and a lie detector test, with a broadcast on local cable t.v. keeps my hair on my head.....let the games begin!!
ROFLMAO /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

MSCHICHI said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, you know you have just given me an excuse to go BACK to the Sally's so I can buy a flatiron? And, if, some other products happen to, um, jump in the basket, /images/graemlins/look.gif that's just a risk I have to take.

I don't know why I think i am too scared to do this. Its not I am afraid of my stylist. I dunno I just feel like she will look at me like "you're kidding right?"

carribean_dream said:
I don't know why I think i am too scared to do this. Its not I am afraid of my stylist. I dunno I just feel like she will look at me like "you're kidding right?"

I always get that look when I ask, but I still insist. I've had the same stylist now for about a year, so she knows what I want and does exactly that so I don't make her use the tape measurer anymore. I will if my needs ever change and I want exact measurements beyond what she has been doing, I sure will bring it in again.

Don't let anybody intimidate you. This method prevents them from claiming ignorance and coming up with excuses like "I thought you wanted this much off," or "It seemed right when I was cutting."

If when you click that tape measurer to exactly the inches you want them to take off, have them follow all these steps and they still don't get it right, then they are downright negligent.

I feel strongly that any hairdresser worth his or her salt should be more concerned with what the client wants (if it is healthy) than them wanting to be right or controlling.

Last edited:
Back