What to do when hair is "done"

lovebug10

Hey Ladies,

I recently started washing & rollersetting my hair every week, and then passing a low blowdry on the roots. I do this at a salon because I think I deserve a pampering at least once a week. Plus its faster for me to go than for me to do it myself.

However, when I leave the salon my hair is silky and bouncy and then I want to wear it down. I don't moisturize or oil out of fear that my freshly "done" hair will be ruined & weighed down. I'm trying to get better at putting a little moisturizer and oil on my ends. Of course I wrap my hair at night but in the morning I unwrap and leave it down.

Everyone's been talking about how beautiful my hair looks. And I love feeling cute and having it blow in the wind. I just feel like its a waste of money and time for me to bun after having my hair done. But then I'm worried that by wearing it down so much my hair won't reach my length goals. Is this a crazy thought? Also will wearing my hair down everyday limit me from moving past SL? I really want to be APL by September.

Thanks for the suggestions & advice :)

Hey Ladies,

I recently started washing & rollersetting my hair every week, and then passing a low blowdry on the roots. I do this at a salon because I think I deserve a pampering at least once a week. Plus its faster for me to go than for me to do it myself.

However, when I leave the salon my hair is silky and bouncy and then I want to wear it down. I don't moisturize or oil out of fear that my freshly "done" hair will be ruined & weighed down. I'm trying to get better at putting a little moisturizer and oil on my ends. Of course I wrap my hair at night but in the morning I unwrap and leave it down.

Everyone's been talking about how beautiful my hair looks. And I love feeling cute and having it blow in the wind. I just feel like its a waste of money and time for me to bun after having my hair done. But then I'm worried that by wearing it down so much my hair won't reach my length goals. Is this a crazy thought? Also will wearing my hair down everyday limit me from moving past SL? I really want to be APL by September.

Thanks for the suggestions & advice :)

Hey Love,

Welcome to the board.

Yes. Wearing your hair down can limit your retention but before we go there, you need to share more information about your hair :yep:

Are you a 2, 3, or 4 ?

How often do you relax?

Whats your diet like?

Do you take supplements?

What's the longest your hair has been?

Sept. is 6 months away. Which would require you to grow and retain 3 inches. Do you grow a half inch per month?

What products do you use?

How often do you wash? Condition? DCondition?

We'll start with this :look:

Hey hey.
the reason most dont wear their hair down is because of the constant rubbing against clothing, tangles, and, ur ends wont be as moisturized. There have many peoole who have grown out their with wearing it out.
Before I started my healthy hair,journey I only wore my hair down constantly and wrapped it at night in the morning spraying it with oil sheen once in the morning and at night. That was my moisturizer lol. I alwys feared my hair being weighed down. My hair still grew, really didnt have breakage.
.i woukd say dont moisturize every night maybe once every three days. And use minium moisturizer.i believe u wont have a priblem :look:witg growth its just all about ur retaining that length. Ih abd since u at the salons better watch those scissor happy stylist!!! Lol
Hhg!!!

Last edited:
I wear my hair down all the time. That's just me though. I have reached my goal and just want to enjoy my hair.

I do, however, do protective styles at night and always wear a silk bonnet to bed. I keep a Goody ouchless hair elastics with me at all times for those times when I need to put my hair in a ponytail really quick and don't want my hair snagged or rubbing against my coat.

300.JPG

ETA: I don't wear the elastics to bed because it gives me a headache and might cause breakage

Welcome to the board!

i had no problems going to the salon and wearing my hair down all week. i did moisturizer with a liquid leave-in and used Profectiv oil sheen. i am going back to the basis of the tried and true. i roller set my hair and wear it curly. i just recently started using Shescentit leave-in spray. it is very light. i just spray a light mist. it drys quickly and doesn't leave a residue. i seal with an oil sheen. i don't sleep with a bonnet, but i do sleep on a satin pillow and sleep pretty. (i have mastered sleeping pretty! :lol: )

As everyone else said, baby your ends, try to see if moisturize+sealing with oil works for you (it doesn't for me) and don't feel that protective styling is your only option. Like others said, wearing your hair down can cause friction with your clothes but some women here have grown their hair without excessive protective styling (like me).

Try pincurling your hair at night instead of wrapping, find the best deep conditioner for your hair so that you don't need to moisturize every day. Your biggest hurdle will surely be going from SL to below shoulders to APL as that seems to be common here at LHCF.

Hey Love,

Welcome to the board.

Yes. Wearing your hair down can limit your retention but before we go there, you need to share more information about your hair :yep:

Are you a 2, 3, or 4 ?

How often do you relax?

Whats your diet like?

Do you take supplements?

What's the longest your hair has been?

Sept. is 6 months away. Which would require you to grow and retain 3 inches. Do you grow a half inch per month?

What products do you use?

How often do you wash? Condition? DCondition?

We'll start with this :look:

Hey so I realized I enver introduced myself! Sorry about that. I've been stalking... uhm i mean reading LHCF and other hair boards basically since the end of middle school/ beginning of HS. I remember asking my mom at 13 years old to buy me biotin & she said no. I wasn't obsessed then but as I got into high school I became more involved with my hair. I finally made an account & subscribed this year (I'm almost done with college now) and decided to actually be active on here.

Anyways let me answer your questions:

1) I am a 4 - a/b not sure exactly which one though

2) I relax every 8-12 weeks. Usually 12 because I'm busy but if i have an event or holiday I'll relax at 8 for that occasion.

3) I eat pretty healthy balanced meals. I usually only drink water but I'll have juice/ soda sometimes.

4) My supplements used to be biotin & fishoil but I switched to phytophanere supplements. I LOVE those & got good growth. I think I might switch to biotin though because its MUCH LESS CHEAPER. I also apply Bee Mine serum to my scalp.

5) The longest my hair has been is probably APL. The only picture i have that shows my length, the front of my hair (its in layers) was grazing APL & I was about 3 months post. I ended up cutting into a bob (stupid hairstylist) because of damage from color but now its SL!

6) I'm pretty sure I grow 1/2 inch per month. I don't have any trouble growing. My problem is always retaining :sad:

7) Right now I use HE LTR, Hairveda whipped creme ends hydration, kera care essential oils, hot six oil, Hairveda vatika frosting, NTM, kera care silken seal. I typiccally use the Hairveda closer to wash days b/c they are heavier & use the kera care essential oils w/ the HE LTR during the week (thats if i choose to moisturize at all). Also, paul mitchel super skinny is a MUST for all my rollersets. I also have a bunch of other products but I don't use them regularly enough to list.

8) Like I said, I wash every week at the hair dresser. I typically DC with every wash & I use aphogee 2 step the first wash after I get a relaxer. I also use aphogee 2 min if my hair starts to feel mushy. If i wash at home i use Mizani botanifying shampoo, or CON (depending on what I have at hand), & Mizani moisturefuze as the conditioner. I always rollerset with paul mitchell super skinny and then she blowdries my roots.

Sorry If I wrote too much...

Hey hey.
the reason most dont wear their hair down is because of the constant rubbing against clothing, tangles, and, ur ends wont be as moisturized. There have many peoole who have grown out their with wearing it out.
Before I started my healthy hair,journey I only wore my hair down constantly and wrapped it at night in the morning spraying it with oil sheen once in the morning and at night. That was my moisturizer lol. I alwys feared my hair being weighed down. My hair still grew, really didnt have breakage.
.i woukd say dont moisturize every night maybe once every three days. And use minium moisturizer.i believe u wont have a priblem :look:witg growth its just all about ur retaining that length. Ih abd since u at the salons better watch those scissor happy stylist!!! Lol
Hhg!!!

Yeah I'm starting with once every two days and If I feel like my hair needs more moisture then I will increase the frequency accordingly. And I don't let anyone cut my hair anymore. I have my own shears & search & destroy on my own. If I need to, I get a trusted friend or my mom to trim the parts in the back that I can't see

i had no problems going to the salon and wearing my hair down all week. i did moisturizer with a liquid leave-in and used Profectiv oil sheen. i am going back to the basis of the tried and true. i roller set my hair and wear it curly. i just recently started using Shescentit leave-in spray. it is very light. i just spray a light mist. it drys quickly and doesn't leave a residue. i seal with an oil sheen. i don't sleep with a bonnet, but i do sleep on a satin pillow and sleep pretty. (i have mastered sleeping pretty! :lol: )

:lol: "sleeping pretty" i need to learn this... my scarf always comes off! Do you use the Shescntit leave in spray before you rollerset or afterwards as a moisturizer?

As everyone else said, baby your ends, try to see if moisturize+sealing with oil works for you (it doesn't for me) and don't feel that protective styling is your only option. Like others said, wearing your hair down can cause friction with your clothes but some women here have grown their hair without excessive protective styling (like me).

Try pincurling your hair at night instead of wrapping, find the best deep conditioner for your hair so that you don't need to moisturize every day. Your biggest hurdle will surely be going from SL to below shoulders to APL as that seems to be common here at LHCF.

Yeah I can completely relate to that struggle. Right now My hair is V shaped and in between my shoulders and arm pit. I haven't considered pin curling but I'll give it a try!

I wear my hair down all the time. That's just me though. I have reached my goal and just want to enjoy my hair.

I do, however, do protective styles at night and always wear a silk bonnet to bed. I keep a Goody ouchless hair elastics with me at all times for those times when I need to put my hair in a ponytail really quick and don't want my hair snagged or rubbing against my coat.

300.JPG

ETA: I don't wear the elastics to bed because it gives me a headache and might cause breakage

Welcome to the board!

Thanks! And I try to keep a scrunchie or a jaw clip in my bag except I always end up losing them:look:

I totally agree. Good luck with the goals.

Thank you!

shortdub78 how?? Inquiring minds wanna know :lol::look:

Back