What To Do After Removing Braids

cyninmon123

Usually after I remove my braids(micro's that have been in for 2months) I immediately perm my hair. But since I've been here in the forum I realized that it is very damaging for my hair. This will be the first I have ever removed my braids without perming it afterwards. SO my questions is after I remove my hair and detangle it what should I do to keep it from getting tangle and to make it managle to comb through because I am already 4months post relaxer. My hair is 3c/4a and I would appreciate all the advice I can get. THanks

Vitamins: GNC Ultranourish,GNC Hair, Skin, and Nails

~*In love you must compromise never settle*~

cyninmon123 said:
Usually after I remove my braids(micro's that have been in for 2months) I immediately perm my hair. But since I've been here in the forum I realized that it is very damaging for my hair. This will be the first I have ever removed my braids without perming it afterwards. SO my questions is after I remove my hair and detangle it what should I do to keep it from getting tangle and to make it managle to comb through because I am already 4months post relaxer. My hair is 3c/4a and I would appreciate all the advice I can get. THanks

Vitamins: GNC Ultranourish,GNC Hair, Skin, and Nails

~*In love you must compromise never settle*~

Great post!!! I am in the same position. I know that I am supposed to wait but, I never have. How long do you wait? I will 3 months post relaxer.

I plan on flat ironing my new growth once I take out my braids (I'll be 5 months post last touch up). This will be the first time. Usually I don't do any thing just keep my new growth well moisturized and two - three weeks later get a touch up.

When I removed my braids after 4 months I would take out each braid then rebraid my own hair in it's place. This kept the hair from getting tangled...long process, but it was worth it. Since you have mircos though, I would take out 4-5 at a time and rebraid those at once.

After I did that, I would section my hair into parts and take out the braids I put in my own hair...maybe 10 braids to equal one braid. I did this throughout my hair and ended with maybe 20 braids in my hair. After having the 20 braids I would wash my hair and let it air dry with a silk sarf over it. Once air dried I took the braids out and made one pony to go to the salon for a blowout.

I waited a month before getting a relaxer after having my braids out and I was 9 months post relaxer!!!

I have pictures of my braid aftermath: http://public.fotki.com/JenniferMD/snap_shots_from_the_past/aftermath_of_braids/

I usually wait 1-2 weeks before relaxing. In the meantime I just wash and blow dry or flat iron it. I moisturize and condition a lot. This keeps it from tangling up.

Stormy said:
I usually wait 1-2 weeks before relaxing. In the meantime I just wash and blow dry or flat iron it. I moisturize and condition a lot. This keeps it from tangling up.

Me too. I do a something similar to Jennifermd's method of washing with hair in 4 large braids (with lots of conditioner while combing each section with large comb) to help reduce tangles and then I blow dry and wait at least 1 week before relaxing.

Back