what to about weave damage

amorette

I put a weave in my fine hair last year and it pulled it out, and it was as thin as ever...i have gradually cut about 4-6 inches off of it this past year, and now it is up to my shoulders. Still a little thin around the edges in front. What should i do to restore the thickness, and grow it out fast. I have really curly hair - like a type 3b, i dont use relaxers, I air dry most of the time. I also noticed some breakage the other day.Any suggestions? I am brand new to the site.:)

I have the same problem and am applying Dr. Miracles temple and nape balm to my thinning areas in the day. I was using MTG at night, but the smell was making my man angry, so I'm opting to use a combo of castor oil, sulful, vitamin e, cayenne pepper, rosemary, and almond oil. As long as the folicles aren't dead....you just gotta stimulate the hair to grow. Whatever regimine you decide, stick w/ it and don't give up. Trust me, I know....my hair is so awful and I feel so unpretty right now, but the key is staying motivated and keep in mind that hair does grow back. Also, read, read, and read more on what products stimulate the scalp and don't forget to massage. You need good blood circulation. These ladies know what they are talking about. I'm excited about this journey.....just can't wait until I get past this ugly period.......happy growing!!! I don't know what to tell you regarding the breakage.....maybe protein treatments or deep conditioning.............

Can I ask how long you had weave in? This is my first time wearing a weave and I have fine hair too. I have had mine in for a period of 4 weeks. Do you think the time you had the weave in contributed to your damage?

brownqt31 said:
Can I ask how long you had weave in? This is my first time wearing a weave and I have fine hair too. I have had mine in for a period of 4 weeks. Do you think the time you had the weave in contributed to your damage?

I would wear my weaves for a period of 8 weeks and then I'd take them down, wash, condition and re-weave. I don't know if this contributed to my damage cause I did this a lot as a teen and in my 20's with lots of success. I think stress, tight cornrows,age, and more stress contributed to my damage. I washed every 2 weeks and conditioned. Plus I think hair actually gets tired of being confined. Since this is your first time, make sure your cornrows aren't too tight and pay extra attention to your hairline, moisturize often, and you should be fine.

Thanks for the info. I plan on taking the weave out next week and I'll see how my hair is handling everything.

I took it out every 6-8 weeks and had a new one put in...i did this for 8 months...it was the kind of weave where they braid your hair and weave it into the braids...it is supposed to be "good" for your hair - well it wasn't for mine! It grew long - to my brastrap, but was a shadow of my thick hair!!

Back