What the henna went wrong?

My Friend

My first attempt at henna has me looking like a carrot top:ohwell:

I bought henna from the Indian market. I put hot water, cinnamon, and olive oil in a bowl and let it sit for two days. I then applied it to my hair and sat under a dryer for a hour. I then rinsed with conditioner and then.........
:ohwell::ohwell::ohwell::ohwell:

What did I do wrong?

I am natural. I had a temp color applied to my hair in sept .

Hmmm....I'm not sure why it turned your hair orange. Do you have any indigo? If you put indigo on your hair like you did the henna it will make your hair black. Sorry it's orange. What did you use in your henna mix?

My gray and my ends are orange :ohwell:I would totally be in a panic if I wasn't wearing wigs and installs for a year (fingers crossed). I have thin strands and I wanted to thicken them up by using henna.

Well, sometimes it takes a couple days for it all to oxidize. It may (the greys turned orange) turn more reddish over the next couple days.

^^^werd. give it a couple of days to settle into its colour.

also, remember henna from different regions will have a different shade. some henna does go more towards orange than a red. AND also remember that henna is best when done repeatedly. to deepen your colour, henna some more :o) as long as you DC after each treatment all natural henna cannot harm you or your hair so have another henna day this week.

It's important to mix the henna with something acidic to encourage dye release. Your hair will turn out a much deeper color and much redder if you use lemon juice instead of hot water.

If you just want to thicken your strands try cassia as it does the same thing but doesn't deposit color on your hair. KinkyKurlyQueen on youtube uses it.

Maybe it was the hot water, I think it should be warm water rather than hot, but I don't know I'm no expert! And I think you let it sit for too long, most people let it sit for no longer than a day. I will be leaving it for 12 hours.

ITA.. I have this product at home and haven't used it yet and it recommends adding freshly brewed coffee, ACV, teas, etc, instead of hot water, for different effects:

fJDQHA5XtY3NDcvLnogyTBHyg5HAr-yTxDxLRpcxIDbgWQRD8ZbCvQaSwOcznZzOxlNpS0tvc5wZhZStt1WrvF42YqECfSGAdGAz5PHjUpGN0Ic0jhm8v09S8Jb4PyYC-qKpNy4v

Directions for use on Grey or White Hair

• Pour a 4 oz. jar of Rainbow Henna into a glass or plastic bowl.
  • Gradually add boiling coffee or tea to the Henna powder. See special recipes and hints below for exact Coffee & Tea use.
  • Add 1-2 Tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar.
  • Use a wooden or plastic spoon to mix thoroughly to a creamy soup-like consistency, (more liquid can be added if mixture is too thick).
  • For Rainbow Neutral Henna on Grey Hair: Mix 2 oz. (1/2 jar) with boiling water, do not use coffee and vinegar.
Best Recipes for Grey Hair:

• Dark Brown Henna + Coffee + 1-2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar = Dark Brown
  • 3 parts Black + 1 Part Medium Brown + Coffee + 1-2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar = Dark Brown
  • 3 Parts Dark Brown + 1 Part Medium Brown + Coffee + 1-2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar = Medium/Dark Brown
  • 3 Parts Black + 1 Part Dark Brown + Coffee + 1-2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar = Darkest Brown
Special Recipes and Hints
Substitute Coffee or Tea for Water to add these effects:

• Coffee – Use for Best Results on Grey Hair to help tone down red tones, deepens brown-red tones, & cover grey. Use brewed, black coffee or espresso (not instant or decaffeinated). After coffee or espresso is brewed, bring to a boil. Mix as directed above.
  • Teas- To have the following effects take place, substitute tea for water. Let tea steep for 20-30 minutes, and then bring to a boil. Mix as directed above.
  • Ceylon, Black China or Darjeeling Teas will help tone down red & deepen brown-red tones on Dark Brown, Med Brown, Burgundy, Mahogany & Sherry. Ceylon, Black China or Darjeeling Teas will add gold highlights to Light Brown Henna.
  • Red Zinger Tea enriches red tones in Burgundy, Sherry, Mahogany, Dark Brown, Med Brown and Red Henna.
  • Chamomile Tea brightens and adds highlights to Neutral, Blonde, or Marigold Blonde Henna.
Apple Cider Vinegar – To help all colors hold on grey hair, add 1-2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar to Henna mixture.

Lemon Juice – To lighten blonde shades, add 1-2 tbsp. lemon juice to Henna mixture.

To Deepen Red Shades – Red, Sherry, Mahogany, or Burgundy can be deepened by mixing a darker shade. For example, 3 oz. (3/4 jar) Mahogany + 1 oz. (1/4 jar) Dark Brown = Dark Auburn.

Dry or Damaged Hair – Add 1 Egg, or 1-2 tbsp. of Olive Oil, or 1-2 tbsp of Plain Yogurt to the Henna mixture. These natural ingredients not only condition, but help with the application and rinsing processes. Choose any 1 of the 3 options listed above for similar results.

It's important to mix the henna with something acidic to encourage dye release. Your hair will turn out a much deeper color and much redder if you use lemon juice instead of hot water.

Thank you all for sharing. My color has stabilized. It's more of a red than a orange now. Because I was afraid of drying my hair out, I immediately bagged my moisturized head after I applied henna. It wasn't until I took off the baggy for a whole day that the color started to change:blush:

Thank you all for sharing. My color has stabilized. It's more of a red than a orange now. Because I was afraid of drying my hair out, I immediately bagged my moisturized head after I applied henna. It wasn't until I took off the baggy for a whole day that the color started to change:blush:

I told you it would :yep:

Glad it worked out for you!

Glad to hear things it worked out well for you OP!

..BTW, that's one of the cleverest thread titles I've seen in a while.. :laugh:

^^^^

THIS

I find that using an acid to develop the colour before applying, results in a stable colour (coppery red) without having to wait for it to settle.

Last edited:
Back