What the heck is my hair type?

RavenMaven

Okay. I am transitioning right now, and I am just trying to figure out what styles I will be able to wear when I become all natural. My new growth behaves pretty well. It grows in very straight, and then once in a while I will find this HUGE wave lol and I'm like.... whoa.... because it looks like a huge hump. So I am assuming that when I am fully natural I will have loose waves?

idk maybe it's too early to tell, but I am searching for some opinions.

My hair does not coil at all :( . No coils whatsoever.:nono:

I have pictures in my fotki of my hair, but once again, it is very hard to tell the new growth because my NG is so straight unpressed

i cant really tell. if it helps well into my transition i didnt see much curls or coils. it was straight fluff unless i put products on it. when i cut my hair it coiled imensley although it still has the poof factor.

youll need at least a full inch preferably 2 in order to determine your hair type. also the best thing to do is to wash your hair, dont put any product in it/dont brush it and allow it to airdry. then you'll get a better idea.

but honestly you wont fully know unless you cut off the relaxed hair, as my hair grew in dead straight as well, after a few months into my last transition it looked like big waves 3a/3b. but once i cut off the relaxed ends i found out i was mostly 3c:)

good luck with your transition

youll need at least a full inch preferably 2 in order to determine your hair type. also the best thing to do is to wash your hair, dont put any product in it/dont brush it and allow it to airdry. then you'll get a better idea.

but honestly you wont fully know unless you cut off the relaxed hair, as my hair grew in dead straight as well, after a few months into my last transition it looked like big waves 3a/3b. but once i cut off the relaxed ends i found out i was mostly 3c:)

What she said, especially the bolded.

heres what my hair looked like last time i transitioned, and what it looked like after the bigchop to natural
S5300022-vi.jpg
S5300011-vi.jpg
S5300122.jpg

agree with the bolded

:yep:
Its waaay too soon to tell. How many months post are you? Do you remember what your texture was as a child? You have to have a significant amount of newgrowth to even guesstimate because the relaxed ends will stretch your texture out.
As a rule of thumb I think the smaller the waves the tighter the curl, but that of course doesn't take into account shrinkage.

:yep:
Its waaay too soon to tell. How many months post are you? Do you remember what your texture was as a child? You have to have a significant amount of newgrowth to even guesstimate because the relaxed ends will stretch your texture out.
As a rule of thumb I think the smaller the waves the tighter the curl, but that of course doesn't take into account shrinkage.
Well I have only been transitioning for almost a month and a half, but I have like two inches of new growth... lol is that enough to tell anything?

I couldn't tell. I don't know if you have enough growth to tell. I am still transitioning and I got 5 months in. I can't tell anything at this point, since I still got relaxed ends. Give it more time.

It's definately too early to tell your hair type now. Plus you have to think some of the hair MAY be scab hair (if your scalp is damaged in anyway) and plus because it has the weight of the relaxed hair pulling on it it might not look at coily/curly as it would when you BC... AND THEN as your natural hair gets longer the texture tends to change (might get looser, might get tighter depending on the person :spinning:).. you will never truly know until you get an adequate amount of NG, BC and grow it out healthy... before that you will never know. I originally thought my hair was 4a/b... then at it grew I thought 4a... and now thats its longer its 4a/3c :perplexed confuzzlin I tell ya.

Back