what should i moisturize my hair with?

felicia

nothing seems to help. the WGO and greases i've used just seems to sit on my hair and it still seems to be dry. i'm getting nice progress, but its hair to retain length if i have to get my hair cut so often bc of split ends. my hair is soooo dry. someone please help. i have 4 a/b relaxed, colored treated hair. i don't color it often, maybe once a year.

thanks,
felicia

well, my hair is natural, but girl im LOVIN coconut oil as a moisturizer!!! its so light, and my hair just soaks it up and theres no greasy residue, but the hair is VERY soft!

also, keracare oil moisturizer with jojoba oil is fabulous!! im lovin that too...i use it on wet hair and it dries so soft and fluffy!

HTH!
~T~

Hi Felicia,
I am relaxed and have highlights. I currently work between Ultra Black Hair moisturizer as recommended by Denali (thanks girl
waytogo.gif
) and Pro-Line's coconut oil. I am absolutely in love with the latter. My hair doesn't feel greasy either.
loveeyes.gif

Hmm, could your problem be that you haven't put in the moisture to then "seal" it in?

If you're just putting greases and oils on dry hair, it most likely will not do anything for you except sit on top.

When you wash your hair, you need to then apply a leave-in conditioner (maybe creamy if your hair is really dry), then immediatley apply your oil or maybe a butter (I wouldn't recommend grease). The oil will seal in the moisture from the wash (water) and the leave-in conditioner.

Maybe for a while, you could keep your hair in a damp bun and spray it with a moisturizing mix throughout the day or twice a day. Make a mix with distilled water, conditioner, and oil...and maybe add an eo like rosemary to stimulate growth while you're at it.

For an oil, I highly recommend coconut oil but you could also use Proclaim 7 or Wonder 8 or any of those oil mixes. For butters, I really recommend shea butter though it might be too heavy for your relaxed hair.

I hope this helps! Throw out the grease!

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Hmm, could your problem be that you haven't put in the moisture to then "seal" it in?

If you're just putting greases and oils on dry hair, it most likely will not do anything for you except sit on top.

When you wash your hair, you need to then apply a leave-in conditioner (maybe creamy if your hair is really dry), then immediatley apply your oil or maybe a butter (I wouldn't recommend grease). The oil will seal in the moisture from the wash (water) and the leave-in conditioner.

Maybe for a while, you could keep your hair in a damp bun and spray it with a moisturizing mix throughout the day or twice a day. Make a mix with distilled water, conditioner, and oil...and maybe add an eo like rosemary to stimulate growth while you're at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA. I think the key to ulitmate moisture lies in the conditioning phase. Up your deep moisturizing conditioning treatments and follow through with a good leave in. I think Hairlove left some pretty good instructions. Give it a shot for a week or two and see if the condition of your hair changes.

ITA w/ hairlove...she gave good advice.
A couple of moisturizers u may want to try that arent expensive are elasta QP recovery and Organic Root Stimulator olive oil moisturizing lotion. I also am partial to the coconut oil others have mentioned.

[ QUOTE ]
so1913 said:
[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA. I think the key to ulitmate moisture lies in the conditioning phase. Up your deep moisturizing conditioning treatments and follow through with a good leave in. I think Hairlove left some pretty good instructions. Give it a shot for a week or two and see if the condition of your hair changes.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA. These ladies gave you very good advice. I have nothing more to add.

This helped alot when my hair was dry, I first shampooed it, the parted my my hair (while wet) and each part I took a cotten ball dipped in seabreeze and applied it to the scalp thought my entire head, I then applied cholesterol and placed a plastic cap on my head under a dryer for 15 - 20 mins, after that I rinsed and did a leave in. What occurred was that my scalp was closed and the seabreeze would open them, and stimulate growth, and allow the sebum to flow, hope this helps....

[ QUOTE ]
so1913 said:
I think the key to ulitmate moisture lies in the conditioning phase. Up your deep moisturizing conditioning treatments and follow through with a good leave in. I think Hairlove left some pretty good instructions. Give it a shot for a week or two and see if the condition of your hair changes.

[/ QUOTE ]
I always say my hair gets most of it's moisture through conditionings and leave-in conditioners. So, imo, this is one of the main keys.
smile.gif

I apply my coconut oil right after I apply my leave-in...in the same manner...throughout my hair in sections...from root to ends.

[ QUOTE ]
LorraineG said:
Hi Felicia,
I am relaxed and have highlights. I currently work between Ultra Black Hair moisturizer as recommended by Denali (thanks girl
waytogo.gif
) and Pro-Line's coconut oil. I am absolutely in love with the latter. My hair doesn't feel greasy either.
loveeyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just going to say the same thing
laugh.gif
. I hate greasy moisturizers but this does the trick
smile.gif
Thanks Denali
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:
is the pro line coconut oil a grease or the regular oil?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, maybe I didn't make my post clear. I use UBH creme moisturizer, I think Lorraine meant to say that but she uses it with Pro line coconut oil
smile.gif

BTW, UBH really does make a good moisturizer thats not greasy or heavy but actually penetrates.

HTH

Leslie, mine is in a small container and it is grease but when I apply it, it doesn't have that greasy dirty feel that most leave me with. HTH.

[ QUOTE ]
Britt said:
[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:
is the pro line coconut oil a grease or the regular oil?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, maybe I didn't make my post clear. I use UBH creme moisturizer, I think Lorraine meant to say that but she uses it with Pro line coconut oil
smile.gif

BTW, UBH really does make a good moisturizer thats not greasy or heavy but actually penetrates.

HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
smile.gif
Thanks girl.

ok, so how much does the UBH moisturizer run? What is the consitency? Is it thick like carrot oil or something or lighter light an oil lotion?

[ QUOTE ]
felicia said:
oh, another thing, is there any specific coconut oil i should get?
thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Look for extra virgin or unrefined cooconut oil. You should be able to find it at health food stores or online at vitaminshoppe.com, puritanpride.com

Back