what should be my "wig" wearing regimine?

tri3nity

I am going wig shopping a co-worker on Thursday to her wig spot. Now before when I wore wigs it wasn't for hair growth. And even though I was careless and carefree with it, my hair grew out quickly. I remember only washing my hair weekly and because I was hiding my hair I let it air dry (dont scream) no deep conditioning! (i didn't know any better guys) and just piled on a stocking cap and my wig of choice for the day. Now I'm thinking if I can attain that type of growth without the knowledge that I've gained on LHCF then I should be "booty" length in no time.

I'm thinking by weekly deep conditioning, in about 8 to 10 plaits with a mesh wig cap and moisturize and seal every night if needed. I'm thinking the plaits should hold good moisture if I use a leave in and moisturizer when I twist them up.

So what do you ladies think? Should I change something up or any tweaking I should do?

Your plan sounds good. I would use a silk cap instead of the mesh cap to cover my hair under the wig, just to ensure that there isn't any friction or drying out during wear. You can always put a flesh tone cap over it if you are rocking a lace front.

No lace front. I want to be able to take it off to let my hair breath at night. So i'll get the satin. Thanks. I thought the mesh would allow for my scalp to breath better

I started wearing lace fronts last month to minimize manipulation for this 52 week stretch I'm on. I keep my hair cornrowed and redo them every two weeks. I even wash in braids when I'm in the shower, CW. And I juice and oil daily. I don't use adhesives to attach it. I put it on and take it off every day. I've had no issues with my hairline with them. In fact my edges are growing in nicely. Check out some youtube vids for reviews of them, there are a lot of nice ones that you can make look very natural. Here are a few of my favs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBxoKYY7RUc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K17f2ZxiHU0&feature=channel

Since I have a TWA now I just do mini pixies and cowash at least twice a week, DC once a week; moisturize as needed; redo pixies after 2 weeks

I have been wearing my halfwig lately. I think I am gonna rock it most of the summer, since I am sitting inside a cool office during the week.

I have my hair in about 7 plaits, I wear a black satin bonnet over them. I place my half wig on the bonnet and bobbi pin it down. I cut out at least the front comb, if not both.

I apply Amla and Olive Oil Cream to my edges and smooth Elasta qp clear gel over it. I usually, apply a little castor oil over my edges and nape when I get home. My bobbi pins have been bothering me in the back lately, so I might look into sewing some wig clips in. I spray juice/moisturize as need.

Your plan sound fine and like BrownEyez22, I cut the combs from my half-wigs also b/c I believe they were causing breakage. I use 4 bobby pins and the half-wigs does not comb off no matter how windy it is.

No lace front. I want to be able to take it off to let my hair breath at night. So i'll get the satin. Thanks. I thought the mesh would allow for my scalp to breath better ....

You're right. The mesh is cooler for the summer. Silk is warm and protects your hair in the winter. I am wearing the mesh caps now under headwraps while I get my weave hair together - this is comfortable even with temps in the 90s. I will be making my own wigs - i.e. buying weave hair, sewing to mesh caps and then style it.

Re: Lace fronts you don't have to glue them on. Some people just hold them in place with combs, wig clips, etc. This is very secure and they can be taken off every night. Check out some wig videos on youtube - there are lots of people who have demonstrated this option.

so leavin the plaits twisted up a couple of weeks won't hurt so long as I cowash a couple times a week?

tri It doesn't hurt mine at all, I wouldn't go longer than that though personally. Initially I planned on doing 4-6 weeks but that definitely wouldn't work for me

I pretty much do the same thing as SvelteVelvet. I wear diffrent lace front wigs that I take off every night, and i cowash maybe once or twice a week. I have had my hair cornrowed up for 3 weeks now.

Last edited:
I just found a half wig that I am in love with. My coworker actually thought I had got a weave and its so natural looking i just ordered my 2nd one.

But I'm wearing mesh wig caps. I need to get another one.(thats the one with the net right)---if not then i wear a net looking one, but I dont braid my hair down which i probably need to do. But I cover my hair all the way back from where my ears are .

But thank you for starting this thread because i am lookin for a regimen that i can do while wearin my half wigs so i can get the most growth!! :) And the one that you mentioned sounds good!

Where can you get wig clips..I start working Monday and will be doing the half wig thing but I know my nape got jacked up by those combs.

I am going wig shopping a co-worker on Thursday to her wig spot. Now before when I wore wigs it wasn't for hair growth. And even though I was careless and carefree with it, my hair grew out quickly. I remember only washing my hair weekly and because I was hiding my hair I let it air dry (dont scream) no deep conditioning! (i didn't know any better guys) and just piled on a stocking cap and my wig of choice for the day. Now I'm thinking if I can attain that type of growth without the knowledge that I've gained on LHCF then I should be "booty" length in no time.

I'm thinking by weekly deep conditioning, in about 8 to 10 plaits with a mesh wig cap and moisturize and seal every night if needed. I'm thinking the plaits should hold good moisture if I use a leave in and moisturizer when I twist them up.

So what do you ladies think? Should I change something up or any tweaking I should do?

actually, your wig reggie sounds right on point :yep:. i wouldnt chane a thing.

Where can you get wig clips..I start working Monday and will be doing the half wig thing but I know my nape got jacked up by those combs.

yeah I was talking to my coworker about the combs today. She say she don't use them because the wigs she wears comes with this band as well and it stays on just fine. What are wig clips and how do you use them?

WigClip_0A_01.jpg

These are wig clips they snap on your hair with out all the pressure and irritation from what I hear..

I Co-Wash and DC Weekly. I Moisturized Daily. Right now I am using Karens Body Beautiful Hair Milk and just a wee Spritz of Qhemet's Karkady Tea. (and I do rotate the Hair Milk with either Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizing Balancing Cream, Aveda Universal Styling Cream or Jane Carter Hair Nourishing Cream.):look:

I apply my Netted/Mesh Wig Cap and Go. My hair stays highly moisturized all throughout the day (even in this heat & humidity) and I really haven't had to worry about my 9-10 week Post relaxed hair.

The Mesh/Netted Cap has helped tremendously. This winter I wore a Satin (Men's Du-Rag) which was good for keeping everything warm and sealed in.:yep:

At first, I didn't think I would be able to "Wig-It" this summer, but the few adjustments I made has really helped to keep my Hair on Point, even in this heat.:grin:

I was wondering if using the HE LTR Leave-in would be cool to twist up my hair to go under my wig? I have about 5 or 6 little 1.7 oz bottles that I found at BIG LOTS. I love the way it smells and it makes my hair really soft.

I just found a half wig that I am in love with. My coworker actually thought I had got a weave and its so natural looking i just ordered my 2nd one.

But I'm wearing mesh wig caps. I need to get another one.(thats the one with the net right)---if not then i wear a net looking one, but I dont braid my hair down which i probably need to do. But I cover my hair all the way back from where my ears are .

But thank you for starting this thread because i am lookin for a regimen that i can do while wearin my half wigs so i can get the most growth!! :) And the one that you mentioned sounds good!

did you order it online? if so, do you mind sharing the link?

WOW, i want to do this to becuase im loving my "long" hair right now that i just dont want to watch it grow, i want to be surpised when i take my half wig off lol. i want to buy a wig but my boyfriend will be pissed off if he catches me wearing one. lol i can understand why tho, he wants me to have long hair but FOR IT TO BE MY OWN. im still getting a wig tomorrow hahahaha. thanks tri3nity! in 07 when i first started my hair journey i wore a half wig everyday for about 7months! and my hair grew and grew! i wont like the fact that im feeding into the sterotype that "black girls always wearing fake hair" but i gotta do what i gotta do.

WOW, i want to do this to becuase im loving my "long" hair right now that i just dont want to watch it grow, i want to be surpised when i take my half wig off lol. i want to buy a wig but my boyfriend will be pissed off if he catches me wearing one. lol i can understand why tho, he wants me to have long hair but FOR IT TO BE MY OWN. im still getting a wig tomorrow hahahaha. thanks tri3nity! in 07 when i first started my hair journey i wore a half wig everyday for about 7months! and my hair grew and grew! i wont like the fact that im feeding into the sterotype that "black girls always wearing fake hair" but i gotta do what i gotta do.

my husband is going to be upset too. But I know I have hair under there, so I could care less if someone thinks I don't. That's what I'm trying to get my husband to understand!

my husband is going to be upset too. But I know I have hair under there, so I could care less if someone thinks I don't. That's what I'm trying to get my husband to understand!
he will understand once your hair is sweeping the floor.. lol

Im sure he won't be complaining then. Trust me, i get the same complaint all the time from my boyfriend but i know in the long run, he wont be able to keep his hands out my hair! goin for the goal baby!

he will understand once your hair is sweeping the floor.. lol

Im sure he won't be complaining then. Trust me, i get the same complaint all the time from my boyfriend but i know in the long run, he wont be able to keep his hands out my hair! goin for the goal baby!

Girl right! I'm not thinking about him. wthinking about stretching to Thanksgiving!

Back