what shape does your hair naturally grow into?

I think my hair grows into a natural v because my back grows so much faster. Even when I'm just getting new growth you can see I get more in the back than the front. Also the fact that my hair was cut a year and some months ago in the back to like 2 to 3 inches and that it rapidly grew and caught up to my front and is now a couple of inches longer than my front. it still amazes me

Usually a W at first then a V. I'm a side sleeper so the sides grow fastest, then the middle catches up as the hemline drops down a few more inches. My sides can be as much as 3" longer than the rest. Yesterday, I found a strand in my left hairline that reaches to my bikini line. The racer hairs seem to be on the sides of my head.

I really like finding racer hairs or lead hairs that are substantially longer than the bulk. It lets me know I'm no where near what many call "terminal length." I don't believe in that anyway. As long as the body has breath and life and nutrition, the hair WILL GROW. There's no magic cut off point where your hair says it's done growing. Idk who came up with that crap but logically it makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited:
Usually a W at first then a V. I'm a side sleeper so the sides grow fastest, then the middle catches up as he hemline drops down a few more inches. My sides can be as much as 3" longer than the rest. Yesterday, I found a strand in my left hairline that reaches to my bikini line. The racer hairs seem to be on the sides of my head.

Oh wow the bikini line?! It is weird when a hair is dramatically longer than the rest of the hair

Oh wow the bikini line?! It is weird when a hair is dramatically longer than the rest of the hair

Yeah girl it surprised the hell out of me. I had my hair down finger combing and came across a very long hair in the front. I thought it was a knotted shed hair attached to another strand. But when I looked closely, and pulled on it, I could see it was growing directly from my scalp. It's over 2" longer than the rest of the hair in the very front of my hairline.

Nobody can tell me Black folks can't have long hair. My hair has NEVER been this long in my whole life and I've chopped it off to a TWA 3 times since 2007, which is astonishing.

ETA. I used to trim my ends religiously way back because I thought the V or W shape was indicative of damage or breakage. Then, I learned my hair just naturally grows that way. So I no longer cut the longer hairs and I just let it grow how it wants.

Last edited:
I should have taken pics but I was super embarrassed. I just wore curls weekly (curlformers ) and looked like my hair was styled that way lol

My hair naturally grows into a V shape. I actually trimmed yesterday, cut off the tip of the hair. My ideal is a U shape, but no matter how many times I trim my hair reminds me that the V shape is here to stay.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

My hair is still short. I am just now feeling it touch the bottom of my neck, but I think my hair grows in a v shape. My nape always grows so much faster than anywhere else. The front (bangs) take forever to grow!

My hair naturally grows into a V shape. I actually trimmed yesterday, cut off the tip of the hair. My ideal is a U shape, but no matter how many times I trim my hair reminds me that the V shape is here to stay.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

This, the v shape actually looks best on me.

It grows into a 'W'. I suppose that's really just a choppy 'U' but that's fine. I never straighten my hair so I don't care. If I did though, I think I'd want a 'U' with a small tail. That'd be interesting.
My mothers hemline grows very straight, no tail no graduated sides, nothing just straight across.

My hair grows into a U/V. I have layers so it's a U right now. Once I cut it blunt it stays that way for a while

Mine grows into a v. I just chopped a bunch off and I managed to do it into a v and I don't know what I'm doing lol.

I love the U, that's my goal shape once I reach WL.

It grows into a V. I always have layers.

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4 using LHCF

Mine grows into a "V". At CBL the "V" makes it look like I have a tail and I have had people ask me if I added extensions. Now that I'm BSL and grazing MBL, the V is still there but the longer sides make it more less severe looking and the length difference isn't as shocking.

eta: @Lilmama1011 I told you were repping that "V" shape! :yep:

Last edited:
Mine grows into a V that I trim into a U. My left side grows faster than my right so I always have to trim that side a little more than the other .

Back