What Scents Are You Wearing In Your Hair for Valentine's Day (or anyday)?

Isis

Here is an article I found on www.naturallycurly.com site. I quoted part of it below. It explains we can use a few drops essential oils on our hair to enhance the smell and change our mood too. I dabbed some Ylang Ylang on my nape today and made my own lavender hydrosol. :rosebud:

St. Valentine’s Day: a Day for Aromatic Hair
February 2006
http://naturallycurly2.com/curlscene/articles.php?id=598

Essential Oils for Healthy Hair

Essential oils accentuate the effects of unscented shampoos, conditioning and finishing products. These precious oils are the condensed essences of plants, prepared as oil. Aromatic essential oils are regaining the popularity they enjoyed with our ancestors. They are well-respected for their ability to address a variety of issues, such as dull, dry, and thinning hair, as well as itchy, irritated scalp–these are aromatherapeutic benefits. The scent of essential oils provides a therapy of its own, sometimes referred to as aromacology because they affect our psychological make-up and mood. Because essential oils are highly concentrated, only a few drops are necessary to achieve great results. I suggest applying a light dab of the essential oils listed below to the nape of the neck, scalp or temples to serve as aphrodisiacs.

Sandalwood – unisex, earthy, bright yet sultry
Patchouli – unisex, musky, brings out animal instinct
Ylang/Ylang – high energy, very sweet, uplifting
Neroli – balances mood, joyful, attractive, easy-going and uninhabited
Geranium – a balanced floral with a suggestion of earth and fruit; hints at individuality

3-5 drops of these essentials oils (choose 1-3) added to a quarter sized dollop of pure aloe vera gel will serve as an alluring styling gel perfect for a romantic up-do, chignon, French braids or twists. It also works well for tightening the roots of freshly washed locs. As a finishing touch you might also securely pin a fragrant gardenia, opened rose or lily in your hair behind your ear before going out to a Valentine’s Day party or date. As a finishing touch, mist face and hair with lavender hydrosol before you step out the door – especially if inhibitions and tension are coming between you and a potential soul mate. Treasure the day.

Last edited:
As mentioned in the V-day sexy hair thread:

LAdies--- please,please, please, no M-T-G!;) (Regardless of what you put in it to mask the smell.)

Two scents that work:

The herbal scents in the Alter Ego products made my man go wild this weekend. (We had to celebrate early:grin: as he will be away next week:( )

He also likes good old Kemi Oyl (when applied lightly). I used to get so many positive comments from my school friends from using Kemi when I was a teen. Now I use it less for greasing/conditioning, and more for it's fruity/yummy scent.

For some reason I never was too crazy about Kemi Oyl maybe it was b/c I didn't care for the smell. What does the Alter Ego smell like?

That Alter Ego sounds interesting. Haven't tried MTG yet but I'm reading a lot here about the odor!

I've been thinking for quite a while now about Monoi oil, which I think contains Ylang Ylang and comes from Tahiti. Hairlove wears it and gets lots of compliments on the smell of her hair.

It has an herbal smell to it. Very "clean-like".

The Kemi has a fruity smell--which can overpower if too much is used.

Ylang ylang has a licorice type smell.

Oh yeah, Bath and Body works carries massage oils that my sister and I use on our hair. You can choose among lots of fragrances--essentially, it's a carrier oil with the scent pre-mixed.

Isis said:
That Alter Ego sounds interesting. Haven't tried MTG yet but I'm reading a lot here about the odor!

I've been thinking for quite a while now about Monoi oil, which I think contains Ylang Ylang and comes from Tahiti. Hairlove wears it and gets lots of compliments on the smell of her hair.

Isis, I smelled some of that MTG at a LHCF meeting and it smells just like bacon. Bacon-not good during a romantic tryst.

Oh, I heard Monoi is luscious! I will have to try it.

melodee said:
It has an herbal smell to it. Very "clean-like".

The Kemi has a fruity smell--which can overpower if too much is used.

Ylang ylang has a licorice type smell.

Oh yeah, Bath and Body works carries massage oils that my sister and I use on our hair. You can choose among lots of fragrances--essentially, it's a carrier oil with the scent pre-mixed.

Thanks for sharing this Melodee. My Ylang Ylang essential oil smells more like flowers though (strong like Gardenias) rather than licorice.

For some reason my bottle has a licorice smell to it. I do like ylang ylang, and have smelled prodlucts with ylang ylang that are floral and very oriental. What brand do you use?

This is a great thread, :up: . I'll have to try some of this.
OT: Just as I stated in the other thread, Men pay attention to everything even when you think their not.
melodee said:
As mentioned in the V-day sexy hair thread:

LAdies--- please,please, please, no M-T-G!;) (Regardless of what you put in it to mask the smell.)

Two scents that work:

The herbal scents in the Alter Ego products made my man go wild this weekend. (We had to celebrate early:grin: as he will be away next week:( )

He also likes good old Kemi Oyl (when applied lightly). I used to get so many positive comments from my school friends from using Kemi when I was a teen. Now I use it less for greasing/conditioning, and more for it's fruity/yummy scent.

Jasmine...more specifically Night Blooming Jasmine from the Oscar Blandi conditioning line. Smells yummmmmmmmmy!

melodee said:
For some reason my bottle has a licorice smell to it. I do like ylang ylang, and have smelled prodlucts with ylang ylang that are floral and very oriental. What brand do you use?

My Ylang Ylang is the Aura Cacia brand, 100% pure essential oil. It says "Sensual" on the label and on the back it says the aroma is "floral", it "sensualizes the body", "expands the mind" and "elevates the spirit".

*takes another wonderful sniff*:)

BeautifulWideEyes said:
This is a great thread, :up: . I'll have to try some of this.
OT: Just as I stated in the other thread, Men pay attention to everything even when you think their not.
Men sure do!! Every single detail...

I like lemon EO. I use it in my MTG, and I also add it to the water I use to humidify my bedroom. It smells so lovely. I'll probably use some of that on my Valentine's Day, which will actually be on the weekend :p

As for MTG, I ALWAYS wash it out my hair before I see my bf, even if the lemon EO covers the scent well. :lol:

Back