What Salon Products are good for 4b thick hair?

November

<font color="brown"> I have thick mostly 4b 8" hair that's relaxed. Is it normal to have puffy hair even with a perm? I can't do anything with it unless I blow dry it? Still my ends look and feel so dry. See I haven't had hair since I was a kid, (My hair was always damaged, broken and braided-just a mess) This hair is frustrating because its not laying down like it used to after a perm, all silky. I feel like I have too much hair? I'm not complaining of the thickness, but my hair which I love have a mind of its own. Do anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? What do I use to flatiron it &amp; what kind of flatirons? I want it to lay like the shop looking shiny and healthy. I use currently Creme of Nature (red label) Shampoo, Nexxus Emergencee (after perm) following with Nexxus Humectress; Porosity Control Conditioner, ORS, EVO for hot oil treatments and Silk Elements (no more Bio Silk-Silk Therapy) before I blow dry.
I truly appreciate your comments
Thanks
</font>

Re: What Salon Products are good for 4b thick hair

I advise you to lay off the blow dryer
smile.gif

My favorite salon products are Deep Brilliance Reconstruct (that's the name of the product, but it's a really good moisturizer) and Kerna Moisturizing Conditioner.

Thank you Supergirl. Will the Deep Brillance make my hair lay down? I really want my hair to look smooth and silky.

November,

Have you tried rollersetting your hair? That's a great way to smooth your hair and it seals in moisture too.
smile.gif

Yeah in the past, but I haven't now bc my texture will still be nappy looking. I desire to look like I came out of the shop. bouny and Shiny.
ohwell.gif

Redken Smooth down is a great line as well.
I agree with Supergirl though, Its definitely the blowdryer!

Nexxus products are great for my 4a/4b hair so u are on thr right track there. Also, design Essentials is a great line of products and my hair thrived on them.

hmmm...To be honest with you Ive never been able to get that salon silky look at home bc I barely use heat anymore, the best I can get it to look is when I roller set it and then wrap it, but it doesnt last long. I love the way it looks when I go get it washed and flat ironed at the salon (that straight off the box of a perm look with silky shiny bouncy hair....*drooling* but thats some intense heat and Im trying to baby my hair back to health. Only on special occasions until I can truly say my hair is in exceptional health. Its a sacrifice Im willing to make though.

[ QUOTE ]
November said:
Yeah in the past, but I haven't now bc my texture will still be nappy looking. I desire to look like I came out of the shop. bouny and Shiny.
ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have thick 4b relaxed hair and highly recommend the following nexxus products:

-thereppe shampoo
-humectress conditioner
-headdress leave-in

I am NEVA without those 3 items, even when I stray and experiement with others, I keep these on hand just in case because I know no matter what, I get EXCELLENT results every time with them.

I 2nd supergirl advice to let the blow dryer go. You may want to revisit rollersetting, which can turn out not so great if you are inexperience -- it is a skill that takes practice to master. I learned by having my stylist do it for me and I watched like a hawk, asking aot of questions. She was very nice when I told her I wanted to try at home and even recommended certain roller size, etc. You may want to have it done professionally, that way you KNOW it will work for your hair, and then get the right tools and take the time. I would never have belived that MY hair could dry straight without a blow dryer either, I was absolutely STUNNED the first time I got a rollerset about 5 years ago, I haven't blown dried since. Heck, I don't even own a blow dryer anymore . . .

redken have a line called smooth down which is suppossed to help with the frizzies.
it consists of a shampoo, conditioner, butter treatment and heat glide.

other salon lines i like are
aveda
nexxus

i don't have any tips, but i guess having puffy hair with a perm is normal, i have thick hair too.

Thanks everybody, I appreciate all of your support and invaluable advice. I thought having a perm is supposed to make my hair lie flat and shiny?

I think too that my Nexxus Emergencee dried my hair out like the sun does the desert, I used the Humectress afterwards but still it feels dry and weird. My daughter tells me it looks beautiful and its not dry but I disagree. Am I suffering from Hair Hypochondria?? as silly as it sounds. But I read up everything about hair and everytime I speak with anybody I'm talking about hair.

I feel so helpless when its something that I can't control of mines. I'm going shopping for some products but I feel desperate to go to the shop (putting my faith in a stranger hands who may do more harm than good). Oh I feel so overwhelmed so many products out there. I really like the Mizani H20, I had tried it and I want something like that to give me moisture to combat the dryness I want something like that but its hard to find.

thanks for listening to my craziness..

Put the humectress on as a leave in (t doesn't do me ANY good if I wash it out) and air dry it. I would also put in some Skinny serum by PM. That should help smooth it and give it shine. Once it's dry you can flat iron it (with ceramic iron). It should be pretty smooth and moist. HTH

I have thick 4a/b texture hair and maybe your relaxer isn't relaxing your curl as much as you need...I don't know what kind of relaxer you're using but,it could be that your hair isn't processed enough...also rollerset with lots of larger rollers, using wide but thin strips of hair on the largest rollers you can use will help with the smoothness and give you more control of your hair thickness and you will be able to maximize upon your hair's thickness instead of working against it..also I don't every use any conditioner/shampoo that says "volumizing" or similar products...hth

oh and also try with a light heat protectant(Mizani has a good one or Thermasilk)using a small flat iron for just the roots, (but dont touch the ends w/the iron)then gently comb thru the strand to ensure there are no tangles and rollerset your hair...as for the dryness, castor oil is a wonderful oil/humectant for 4a/b hair textures...I leave it in for either an hour or overnight(depends on time constraints) and using a gentle shampoo(Dax Vegetable Oil Shampoo)and warm water, I slowly cleanse the oil out, spray on some surge, rollerset and I am good to go..hth

Aisha, are you saying you flat iron and then rollerset? If so, what rollers do you use?

I use Mizani relaxer and the entire Mizani line. Maybe it will work for you.

I don't think you're using the right relaxer for your hair type either. I have mostly 4b hair and when I used to relax (to straightness) with affirm lye or mizani no-lye it would get bone straight and remain that way until the new growth started coming in.

Back