What questions should I ask before getting my hair braided (im transitioning)

monie20032007

For all you who are transitioning with braids what are some good questions to ask the stylist before deciding to give them your business? I got a few cards from a beauty supply store near my house and I found someone who is close to my house and at the bottom it says"healthy hair is my #1 priority." That's what got my attention. I left a message because there was no answer. I said that I was transitioning to natural so if she could work on my hair to let me know and I left her my number.

Also what is a resonable price for cornrows?

Make sure they explain there technique before they begin. I remember hearing about a girl who let them go up and down her braids with a lighter. Well you can imagine the rest when she finally took them down. I don't do braids (i'm super tenderheaded), so i don't know how much there costing these days. Best of wishes. Keep us updated.

Make sure they explain there technique before they begin. I remember hearing about a girl who let them go up and down her braids with a lighter. Well you can imagine the rest when she finally took them down. I don't do braids (i'm super tenderheaded), so i don't know how much there costing these days. Best of wishes. Keep us updated.

Thank you for your input cause i am not about to get my progress burned off:nono:

Are you getting extensions added or using your real hair? Cornrows are pretty basic so I can't think of any questions to ask regarding those. I would pay attention to how firm she's grasping your hair though. You don't want them too tight. When I get cornrows that rarely last past 3 weeks before looking frizzy.

My friend does my cornrows but my stylist wanted to charge $40 for a wash and cornrow updo with extensions added. An African shop wanted $90 for the same style but without the wash AND I had to pay for the hair :blush: :nono:.

I have a whole set of questions when I get kinky twists (is hair included, what's the policy if they become loose or slip with the first few days, how much to have the edges re-done)

Last edited:
I think that for cornrows anything over $50 is too much.

I think it is best to go look at their work in person before you decide to give them your service. Pictures don't always do the job. You should see for yourself how tight the edges look.

I am less of a question asker and more of a Iron Fist dictator.

If you have baby hair around your edges, tell them that you don't want them to catch that and braid it in. If they do, it will likely cause damage.

Do you like the kind of cornrows that start small near the front and get fatter? Or are you OK with the kind that have the knot at the front?

Make sure you know whether they can achieve the look that you want.
Also as they are braiding your hair, Do not be afraid to speak up and tell them immediately if something is pulling too tight. If you tell them right away then they can adjust the tension rather than having to do the entire row over again.

If you are going to have the extensions curly at the ends. The usual method is to roll the extension hair onto a roller and dip it in boiling water.
This is OK but you absolutely cannot allow your hair to be dipped in the hot water. So...they have to be aware of where your hair stops within the braid and only dip the extended part.

And find out if you need to bring your own hair or if they will provide the hair.

I think that for cornrows anything over $50 is too much.

I think it is best to go look at their work in person before you decide to give them your service. Pictures don't always do the job. You should see for yourself how tight the edges look.

I am less of a question asker and more of a Iron Fist dictator.

If you have baby hair around your edges, tell them that you don't want them to catch that and braid it in. If they do, it will likely cause damage.

Do you like the kind of cornrows that start small near the front and get fatter? Or are you OK with the kind that have the knot at the front?

Make sure you know whether they can achieve the look that you want.
Also as they are braiding your hair, Do not be afraid to speak up and tell them immediately if something is pulling too tight. If you tell them right away then they can adjust the tension rather than having to do the entire row over again.

If you are going to have the extensions curly at the ends. The usual method is to roll the extension hair onto a roller and dip it in boiling water.
This is OK but you absolutely cannot allow your hair to be dipped in the hot water. So...they have to be aware of where your hair stops within the braid and only dip the extended part.

And find out if you need to bring your own hair or if they will provide the hair.

Wow! thanks for all the information, I dont know what kind of hair to get though so that is something I need to think about, but I am not getting it curly ends

I wear curly ends too.

I just wouldn't want to dip my real ends in 212 degree water if I didn't have to.

The water has to be pretty much boiling in order to curl the hair. I wouldn't put any part of my body in water that hot, especially not my ends.

Make sure they braid past the ends of your hair to help protect them. If they're left out they could split and dry out, so you'd be losing whatever you gained.

Ask for hair recommendations if you're using extensions - the style you decide on can impact which kind would be best.

Soak the synthetic hair in a vinegar bath, and then rinse to remove the coating - the coating can cause itching and irritation.

Discuss the braid size before they start - I always get pencil sized braids. Micros are too small and would take forever on my head, but I want them small enough to wear up and manipulate w/o being too heavy.

Specify how you want the braids to be finished - if burning, make sure your own hair is WELL out of the way - dipping, same thing. They can also be finished with a small knot, and some people use glue. Just make sure your braids extend at LEAST 1.5" past your own hair - preferably more - to avoid damage.

When I first found the board I went at 5 weeks post to get cornrows put in and the lady pulled my hair so hard "bc the NG meant she had to pull the hair so much tighter". I had scabs in my scalp (so much for protective styling) and I had to take them out after a few days bc it was pulled so tight. So yeah, don't fall for that

Back