What protein treatment do you use on the wash after your relaxer?

metalkitty

By the wash after your relaxer I don't mean directly after the chemical service, but several days later. I was reading on the board about it not being a good idea to use a heavier protein within two weeks after your relaxer since it can supposedly cause the hair to revert a bit... Is this true, relaxers are permanant so how would this work? What recontructors or protein treatments a re safe to use a week or so after a relaxer?

I have used ORS Mayo hmmm...maybe 4 to 5 days after a relaxer, just to kind of stregthen it back up from the chemicals. IMO, I wouldnt use aphogee too soon after a relaxer, its just really strong! I love aphogee when I am doing those hard relaxer stretches though.

Yeah, I wouldn't personally use the big Aphogee on my hair after a relaxer, mostly out of paranoia and not knowing what would happen.
Does anyone think that Emergencee would be too heavy of a protein to use on the hair for my next wash? It seems to act as a moderate strength reconstructor on my hair.

I like the old formula of the Aphogee Keratin Conditioner. I also love to use the K-Pak treatment. Both of those are easy to apply to my hair and not too thick so I don't have to manipulate too much.

metalkitty said:
Yeah, I wouldn't personally use the big Aphogee on my hair after a relaxer, mostly out of paranoia and not knowing what would happen.
Does anyone think that Emergencee would be too heavy of a protein to use on the hair for my next wash? It seems to act as a moderate strength reconstructor on my hair.

I've used Emergencee. I did not let it harden, though. I just put it in and let it sit for a bit and rinse.

HoneyDew said:
I've used Emergencee. I did not let it harden, though. I just put it in and let it sit for a bit and rinse.

Hmm, do you think it'd be okay to let the Emergencee harden? I don't think it does much of anything for my hair if I don't use with heat and without a showercap....
I also have K-Pak which used to work well for me, but I'm not sure if the newer formula does anything... I should use it up though.. Do you highly reccomend it?

This is just my opinion and reasearch from beauticians and personal experiences. Strong protiens like Aphogee (the kind you set under the dryer and your hair gets hard) shouldn't be used until 2 weeks later, unless you have alot, alot of shedding that could cause bald spots. Light protiens espcially if mixed with moister like ORS Replinshing paks are fine.

I use Affirm 5-n-1 Reconstructor immediately following my relaxer and the next wash after my relaxer. Its my staple, makes my hair very strong and has slip out of this world!

Thanks for the imput, ladies! I think I'll try using K Pak since I need to use it up and it doesn't seem to be too heavy of a protein since it doesn't harden or anything.

With my last relaxer, a little over a week ago, I used the stronger Apoghee with no problem. I had a little shedding/breakage and it stopped it in its tracks.

I use either aphogee or nexxus emergencee... whichever one I choose I use with heat under the dryer and let it harden. I don't mind to use it a week or two after my relaxer application. Both are very hard proteins... I always need a good detangling conditioner after using. So I use the protein treatment then rinse out, then I do a deep condition and then I rinse that out and follow up with a rinse out condition for detangling. hth!

I used Motions protein reconstructor with my application and this week I will be using the Motions silk protein treatment with this wash. I use mane and tail which has some protein in it as well, so I might not have to do a harder protein treatment....just listening to my hair and seeing how that goes.

Babygurl said:
I use Affirm 5-n-1 Reconstructor immediately following my relaxer and the next wash after my relaxer. Its my staple, makes my hair very strong and has slip out of this world!

Cosign on the 5-n-1. This is my ish!! I love this stuff. I use it the same way!!

I usually go back to my hair stylist and let her do the protein treatment, but when I do it myself I use L'Oreal Mermade, and I love it. It leaves my hair feeling very soft, unlike some other protein treatments I've used in the past. It has marine life protein which I've read is supposed to be really good for the hair. Though I've never taken it, isn't the Viviscal that many of the ladies here take made from marine protein also?

Back