What protein drink tastes best (hair related)

AnnDriena_

I read a post by one girl who got almost 2 inches of new growth in one month. She ate lots of fish and eggs and drank a protein shake once a day. Her protein intake ended up being like 132 mg a day. Have any of you ladies drank protein shakes before?
Which shake tastes the best and will give me the most protein?
Can I add a banana to thicken it up and help with taste?
Thank you for all your help.

Depends on how much you want to spend. I personally like EAS and Designer Whey protein products. The Slimfast does taste good, but if you are looking for a real protein boost, that probably won't be the best choice because it's not a protein drink, but a meal repalcement drink.

when i 1st started transitioning i drank Spirulina whey Protein-chocolate flavor shake alot. i didn't measure the new growth but it was around that time the trouble spots of my hair started growing out nicely

the product was from vitamin world. don't remember the nutritional value and i tried to look it but can't find it on the website yet

I think Spirutein tastes the best! And yes, you can add a banana to thicken it up. It tastes really good with a half of a banana!

I like MyoPlex Lite available GNC...Vanilla (mix in fresh fruits, yum!) and Strawberry (tastes like real strawberries, even has the little seeds) It can be pretty expensive though, but they offer deals on-line and ebay.

I second the designer whey tasting best...also vitamin shoppes brand isnt bad at all and u get a huge tub for 20 something bucks. I would get vanilla bc u can always add different things to give it different flavors. I just bought some chocolate too and it tastes good! also with the vanilla u can add a scopp to different stuff like oatmeal and cereal, u dont always have to make a shake.

Co-signing on the Designer Whey. My fave flavor is chocolate. I'm able to get it reasonably online.
smile.gif
It's delish and I look forward to drinking it.
lick.gif

[ QUOTE ]
good2uuuu said:
Depends on how much you want to spend. I personally like EAS and Designer Whey protein products. The Slimfast does taste good, but if you are looking for a real protein boost, that probably won't be the best choice because it's not a protein drink, but a meal repalcement drink.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. My husband and I used Designer in the past (for workout purposes-not hair). However, he bought EAS this last time. Both are good tasting and good sources of whey protein.

Try Met-rx vanilla , mix it in the blender with orange sunny d and a couple of ice cubes. Delicious and very thick.

Trader Joes sells them $20 for 12 which is a good price.

Thank you all so much.
Do all of these brands have the same amount of protein in the same amount of product. I don't want to have to drink tons of this stuff to get just a little proteing, know what I mean?

YUCK!! at spirutein. I got that in the vanilla flavor and that stuff was thick and NASTY to me....It was thick enough I don't know why you would add a bannana to make it any thicker. I didn't like the fact that it looked green and the smell was awful. It was so thick I could barely drink it with a straw. That stuff is gross. Tried it once and never again. I still got the can in the house.

I haven't tried one yet that tastes good to me. I just started eating protein bars called "CarbWise". They have only 2 net carbs and 20 grams of protein. They taste good.

I do protein shakes maybe 3 to 4 days a week, sometimes more when I'm really trying to be good. Here's my mix:

1. 4 cups vanilla or plain soymilk (start with good protein base!)
2. 1 cup vanilla or plain yogurt (for thickness, also more protein!) - can substitude fruit of choice here -- but I avoid fruits in my shakes and stick with high protein ingredients.
3. 2 heaping tablespons protein powder (soy, whey, whatever I can find cheap, doesn't matter to me)
4. 2 heaping tablespoons brewers yeast (extra shot of B vitamins!)
5. 2 tablespoons lecithin liquid or granules (if I have it)

Mix the above in a blender and good to go!

Now of course, you can mix and match stuff you like, sometimes I use wheat germ instead of brewers yeast. Sometimes I add flaxseed meal, whatever, just keep it healthy and raw . . .

Well, yes and no. You probably should replace a meal with them, or eat half a bar for a snack twice a day.

The bar doesn't have carbs (mostly bad sugars), but it does have 240 calories. If you have it in place of breakfast or lunch though...that's not bad. I wouldn't eat it with other food though.

ETA: Detour makes some good bars too. They are 310 calories, and have 30 g of protein, but they have WAY more carbs.

Carbwise bars are pretty good. Just remember to drink a full glass of water with it. The amout of protein varies, but I try to stick with at least 20 grams per serving. If it's a meal repalcement shake or powder, I make sure the carb/protein ratio is equal or close, like 20 gr protein and 22 grams carbs or something like that. If I am planning to add fruits, I just use straight powder. A good place to buy from is http://vitaglo.com or http://go.to/cheapsupplements , which ahs great info an all the nutritional supps. Good luck!

You guys are right. I read the can, and slimfast only has 7 grams of protein. But it least I can stomach it, and I have 4 six packs in the pantry!

I like Atkins protein shakes (Chocolate Delight). I am on the diet and have likely adjusted to the taste. Everyone else hates them. But hey, one inch or more a month is worth it!

Thanks. Do you know the best way besides Fish/eggs to get the most protein and gain the least amount of weight?

the Zone shake is good...never tried another one so can't compare but it was good to me

Vanilla and Chocolate ....but make sure you are working out consistantly...I gained 8-10 lbs after adding this to my diet...

I have sinced stopped using them but it was good for a while...... I've lost some weight since but I haven't been working out....the only thing I've done differentlty is reduced the amount I was eating......ANYWAY

Workout if you add protein ( plus with vitamins your appetite will increase as well)

The first protein shake I ever tried was EAS Whey Protein in Vanilla. It tastes pretty good. I've only mixed it with skim milk and once I added a banana and blended. It tasted great. I tried it with water once...ugh...disgusting!

Bolthouse Farms (see carrot juice challenge thread) makes a drink called Perfectly Protein. This has soyprotein, vanilla flavor and chai. It's delicious!! $3.99/qt

I bought the optimum whey and it taste grainy and not all that great. i can tolerate it for the time being but i need something that doesnt taste so blahhh and not so grainy. is designer whey good? everyone always mentions the chocolate flavor but has anyone tried any others? God bless you all.

I use the slimfast or designer whey....both in vanilla.

When I do the designer whey I add ice cubes, some water or skim milk or fruit juice, maybe a half a banana, some strawberries maybe a little low carb yogurt...I may add splenda too, if it's not sweet enough. But you have to watch the calories if you're concerned about weight gain, as the shake mix has some, as does the fruit and stuff you add to it. Start adding juice and stuff and you can easily make a 400 calorie shake without knowing it.
crazy.gif

May not matter to you so much, but it's a concern for me so I thought I'd mention it.
smile.gif

When I do the slimfast - which I do more frequently - I get 20 grams of protein and I don't have to do any extra work OR be concerned about weight gain. It's tastes well enough. I don't drink them for fun.
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
AnnDriena_ said:
I read a post by one girl who got almost 2 inches of new growth in one month. She ate lots of fish and eggs and drank a protein shake once a day. Her protein intake ended up being like 132 mg a day. Have any of you ladies drank protein shakes before?

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know where the orignal post is about this person? I vaguely remember it. She actaully mentions specifically everything that she is eating/taking.

[ QUOTE ]
ballet_bun said:
[ QUOTE ]
AnnDriena_ said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know where the orignal post is about this person? I vaguely remember it. She actaully mentions specifically everything that she is eating/taking.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey balletbun!!
wave.gif

I think that this is it... How I Got Two Inches in One Month

Back