What Prompted Your Hair Care Journey?

vestaluv1

:hiya2: Gals

For me I know it was:
1. Severe hair damage: breakage and bald patches left after a disastrous sew-in.

This then led me on
2. A quest for healthy NATURAL hair
because I really think that my damage only occured due to my hair being weakend by relaxers.

and

3. Now I want to finally get my hair past shoulder length now knowing that it can be done.

What made you start your hair journey?

For me I know it was:
1. Severe hair damage: breakage and bald patches left after a disastrous sew-in.

This then led me on
because I really think that my damage only occured due to my hair being weakend by relaxers.

and

3. Now I want to finally get my hair past shoulder length now knowing that it can be done...

Hi Vestaluv1! I didn't have bald patches though but I sho had some breakage and my edges were very thin from past braids. I just started my quest for natural hair. Also, I am fed up with hiding my hair, I always wanted long hair but needed to know what to do to achieve it so I started reseaching for both haircare tips and products which led me here. Hopefully, after this year I will never wear a wig or weave again because I feel ashamed of my hair appearance and it's like I have to hide...but if I do wear them, it will be because I want to.

What had happened was...I had hair (APL aboutish) but wanted MORE hair so I could have some swang. But see, I wanted it to look natural so I used glue instead of thread and the glue ate up and broke off my hair so horribly I had to get it cut to the length you see in my siggy pic which was eventually evened into a bob.

I never really cared much about my hair before that. Chin length was the shortest my hair had ever been in life and I wasn't used to it.

i just wanted to stop having dry hair!!!!!!!!!!so when i learned what my hair liked,the conditon of it improved and the length followed.

Basically Law school, more specifically stress induced by school. By the end of spring finals i had severe thinning and breakage of the hair on the top and back of my head. That summer (last summer), i went to get a perm and the stylist suggested i had to cut it even because the front was about 4 inches longer than the back (i had been hiding my head so no one would notice). So he cut it up to just above my ear. After that stressful year I vowed to start taking better care of myself, which of course included my hair. My hair is still trying to recover.:nono:

What had happened was...I had hair (APL aboutish) but wanted MORE hair so I could have some swang. But see, I wanted it to look natural so I used glue instead of thread and the glue ate up and broke off my hair so horribly I had to get it cut to the length you see in my siggy pic which was eventually evened into a bob.

I never really cared much about my hair before that. Chin length was the shortest my hair had ever been in life and I wasn't used to it.

WOW, lovely hair Startian. That is some mad growth.

It was actually my oldest daughters hair that led me on this hair journey. It was always so dry and brittle and I was searching for things to do to her hair in order to make it better.

After doing a lot of reading, I realized that my techique and products were all wrong. That's when I revamped mine and my daughters hair regime.

I have always loved my hair short. But some how, after having my daughter I had a strong desire to grow my hair out, after about 7 years. I want healthy longer hair. I don't need it to be WL or even BL, I would be happy with NL, but it must be healthy and shiny, and definelty longer!:grin:

Many things prompted my hair journey:

1. I never wore weaves; and if you saw me in braids it meant two things: that my hair broke off...AGAIN! or that it was summer and I needed a break. The first reason was more common.

2. I had the most driest hair I'd ever seen. And nothing would moisturize it but Wild Growth. And I didn't want to use that all the time. I knew there had to be more to hair; I just didn't know what it was...now I do.

3. I wanted my hair to be healthy for beauty and to maintain growth. I always would get to SL and beyond; and it would start to break little by little. I was too through! So, I bought a book; and found this site...which was like winning the lottery. I've been a winner every since! :grin:

I was a broke college student that needed to learn how to take care of my hair without going to the hair salon.

Knowledge prompted my hair care journey. I didn't know that my 4b hair could be healthy, thick and long, let alone how to make it happen.

Post partum shedding... My hair was SL all my life and was very dry and brittle due to bad habbits. But I didn't know they were that awful, I learned to live with that because my hair grows fast as well. But after giving birth to my son, things got worse and for the first time in my life I felt the need to do something about my hair... I googled black hair care 4 months ago and found LHCF, that was and is still being a life changing experience.

I LOVE LHCF:spinning:

I had a run-in with that d&@* Rio. I lurked at BHSGO for several years and learned so much about caring for my hair. I came out of hiding just before they dismantled the site. :rolleyes:

Former stylist sewed in a couple of tracks to thicken my hair over the sumemr.

It was my first time with weave, and I just did whatever she said. I was 19, and she was the type of stylist that acted like she knew better than some "child".

I went to her and she gave me a relaxer with the tracks still in. Needless to say when I took them out, my hair was FUBAR.

dryness- keracare products weren't cutting it anymore
felt like my hair was getting shorter (scissor happy stylist blunt trims) even though I had plenty new growth.

For me I know it was:

This then led me on

and

3. Now I want to finally get my hair past shoulder length now knowing that it can be done.

What made you start your hair journey?

We must be related! My answer would be the same as yours! If I learn to take care of my natural hair, it can grow. I won't have to spend so much money on weaves. I've always wanted to have long hair. With all the great info I get from LHCF, I believe I can finally get the MBL or Waist length hair that I've always wanted.

Last edited:
I was NL, coming out of a sew in, and had no clue what I should do with my hair next. I was dissatisfied with my length so I started looking online for healthy AA hair tips... and viola! I found the land of the hair boards. :yep:

I was sick of fake'n it with weaves. I wanted long hair and I wanted it to grow from my scalp however, my hair was do dry, brittle and weak from neglect I thought it was impossible to achieve long healthy hair. After finding Cathy Howse's Web site and book my faith was restored and I've been on a mission every since!:yep:

I decided to stop believing that my hair wouldn't grow in it's natural state, and since I always wanted long hair, I started looking for ways to get it. :yep: That led me to TLHC first, and then to BHM, and then to LHCF..... and I've learned SO much along the way.

Mine was 2 part. I always hated taking the 2 hours to do a relaxer and it was an act of rebellion against my then boyfriend because I knew it'd make him mad. (childish I know but I was young)

Well last July, I got a wake-up call after surfing for a quick weave

hairstyle pic to take the salon:rolleyes:. Mind you, my hair was tore up from the floor up:burning:- (Pls refer to my siggy as proof).

Well lo and behold, I came across SistaSlick's protein/moisture balance article:fan:.

I felt as if I was in a deep :sleeping: and after reading her articles I felt like doing this to myself :fishslap:. I was convinced that

my 4a/b hair CAN grow long and strong!!!!!

That same day, I started scouring fotkis' and living on this site and the

rest is history. I'm now :vette:straight to BSL!!!

:thankyou: God for you guys :clapping:!!!!!!!!!!!

Decided to grow my hair when I turned 30, but then I experienced some breakage last year, so I got braids. Then I really became serious about the journey and taking care of my hair.

My hair breakage is what prompted me. I couldn't understand why this one spot in the back of my head would continue to break. So I started looking on the internet for information and found this site. Since then I no longer have breakage and my hair started to grow. Now my journey is to have the healthiest hair I can.

After my 5th year natural anniversary, I realized my hair was severely heat damaged and had been the same length for 3 years. I started my journey again on October 07 and my 6th year natural anniversary is in July.

Back