What products do you use for...

cdixon

Twists? I want to try a twist out/ and do my first set of twist, or a coil out, but I know that my hair will probably look like crap since I don't know what I'm doing. Can someone please tell me what products do you use for twist out?

What works for me are shea butter and a little bit of gel on wet hair. Let your hair airdry then unleash for a juicy twistout.

Hmm.. I investigated this and tested thoroughly.. these are my favorite items.. now mind you at thetime... I was 30% natural and 70% texlaxed.

My spray and creamy moisturizers and sealing oil...(whatever these are for you)
Then either...
Curls Milkshake (light and airy)
Curls Souffle (More defined)
Blended Beauty Light Styling Lotion
Blended Beauty Curly Frizz Pudding

I would then use Shescentit Jojoba Serum and put the flexees on the ends.

Initially used ORS lock/twist gel then some Ecostyler gel then tried some Long Aid gel, IC gel, last attempt has been with S-Curl which I really like because it leaves my twists fluffy and really moisture laden for a fuller looking twistout. I will not stick too long with the S-Curl because one of the top ingredients is alcohol{need to research to find if it's a baddie form}...may not be a bad one but the thought of alcohol dryness is a turn off. I often seal with sheabutter/jojoba/peppermint mixture.

So many options, so little time!!

I've really fallen in love with the Afroveda butters for doing my twists, particularly the shea amla, ginger almond, and cocolatte :lick:. OMG the cocolatte is fantastic! I haven't tried the hemp though, but I use so little for my entire head. I've also used a gel before, but I actually get enough hold with these to last as twists for a few days (4) before taking them out.

Regarding the twists themselves, I DC and then put on a leave-in conditioner, some oil, and then keep the hair wet with a setting lotion/water combination (VERY diluted). I know a lot of people just grab sections and twist, I look a HAM if I do that. So I start in the back and section rows. I spray each section with the water mist and then put whatever butter I'm using on top of it. I then finger part, comb through (yes I do use a fine-toothed comb--the shame!) and twist. Sometimes I alternate directions, sometimes I twist all one way. I do that until I'm finished, which I know takes longer than the grab and go method, but this method works for me. Good luck!

This is a good thread. I meet a natural stylist with a beautiful twist out( the really defined niceeee kind). She said it lasts 3 weeks too :look:, not sure about that part, but.......

She stated she uses the miss jessies babybutter cream on wet hair. Maybe next year when my hair is longer, I will treat myself to a professional twist out. I'm gonna look in my stash and try some of these suggestions for now.

I'm twisted up right now and everytime I take the time to twist it up the folks at the chu'ch house just go bananas!!!:lachen: I'm fully expecting one day for someone to pass the pastor a note saying, "Let's get Sis. Info down to the alter so that we can touch her hair as we go around the offering table". :lachen:

From start to finish I
  1. Pre-poo with Amla, coconut and assorted oils.
  2. Tea rinse with Shikakai and Amla powders (or if I need something resembling a protein treatment I do a bentonite clay treatment)
  3. Rinse with AOHSR
  4. DC with either Lustrasilk Shea Cholesterol or Cantu Shea Butter
  5. Wash out with ice cold water
  6. Use Giovanni Direct Leave In or Paul Mitchell The Conditioner Leave in
  7. Add AfroVeda Kissi Seed Moisturizing Lotion
  8. Seal with EVCO
  9. Use Spray bottle of plain water or half water, half aloe vera juice
  10. Using the grab and go method starting at my nape and going forward, I dip my fingertips into a jar of Black and Sassy Setting Cream and pull down the length of the section.
  11. I mostly finger comb but if I hit a snag I'll use my Denman detangling comb.
  12. Then I'm good for a week and a half to two weeks. I'll just steam in the shower and add EVCO.
A beautiful, shiny, luscious set of twists everytime!

Usually I just use NTM Leave In, Castor Oil to seal and a little Victoria Secret's straightening gel.

I use straightening gel because it helps my hair to hang a little longer and the gel sets the twists.

Sometimes I may add a little curl cream or VitaPoint for shine.

Njoiocreation Herbal Styl Pudding-Soft hold,little goes a long way,not crispy,very moist.
Happy Hair Growing!

Initially used ORS lock/twist gel then some Ecostyler gel then tried some Long Aid gel, IC gel, last attempt has been with S-Curl which I really like because it leaves my twists fluffy and really moisture laden for a fuller looking twistout. I will not stick too long with the S-Curl because one of the top ingredients is alcohol{need to research to find if it's a baddie form}...may not be a bad one but the thought of alcohol dryness is a turn off. I often seal with sheabutter/jojoba/peppermint mixture.

really? wow...didnt know that....what is the name of this alcohol and did uu do the research yet? id love to know ur results:)

Back