What Not To Wear...

dm81

I will just preface this by saying that I have a relaxer, so I'm not anti-relaxer...

Anyway, there is a young lady on the show who was natural for 5-6 years...they gave her a relaxer. Now I know they didn't put a gun to her head and make her relax, but I just hate that they never work with naturals on these shows. I remember one show a woman had locs, they actually put weave OVER the locs! It's just so annoying to me....:rolleyes:

End rant.

Oh yeah....can one of you darlings help me with finding Faipa Eko Line....thanks a bunch!

Basically, they don't know what they are doing. They have women of color on the show so they won't appear bias. But the hairologist, he has NO IDEA how to do "ethnic" if I have to say hair. He took out one woman's weave, washed her top, didn't do anything special to it, and applied new weave. She looked the same as when she first sat down, its just her weave was new. It didn't blend, the colors were different, and I was just like ooh okay, really.

I know he is the "expert" stylist, but his answer to everything is cut and color. Anything other than 1a/b, and he is lost. Cut and color - end of repetoire.

I will just preface this by saying that I have a relaxer, so I'm not anti-relaxer...

Anyway, there is a young lady on the show who was natural for 5-6 years...they gave her a relaxer. Now I know they didn't put a gun to her head and make her relax, but I just hate that they never work with naturals on these shows. I remember one show a woman had locs, they actually put weave OVER the locs! It's just so annoying to me....:rolleyes:

End rant.

Oh yeah....can one of you darlings help me with finding Faipa Eko Line....thanks a bunch!

im watchin the show now!!! it made me cringe to see that they gave her a relaxer after 5 years of being natural. UGH!

there was one episode, the time when they took someone to France with a $50,000 budget, where the woman was natural and they kept her natural. Nick Arrojo does do curly hair very well IMO, but i havent seen him do very good work witht he black women in the show. Usually though, they have weaves or really short hair, so it's not like he has a whole lot to work with. You can't rule out the chance that some of the BW refuse to NOT wear their weaves.

End rant.

OMG this reminds me my cousin paid like 120 dollars at an American salon (white) and they only washed and blow dryed...when we left she said in spanish....this doesnt look like blanca's (the dominican hair stylist)......

I was like well SHIRLOCK!!!!! the guy was white :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:doing ur napps

there was one episode, the time when they took someone to France with a $50,000 budget, where the woman was natural and they kept her natural. Nick Arrojo does do curly hair very well IMO, but i havent seen him do very good work witht he black women in the show. Usually though, they have weaves or really short hair, so it's not like he has a whole lot to work with. You can't rule out the chance that some of the BW refuse to NOT wear their weaves.

I was going to mention that. I didn't think he did a great job on the natural hair, but he did work with it.

And there was one episode where he did try to take some horrible weave out and the woman refused. :ohwell:

Most of the time the ppl who go on that show have seen it before and should know that Nick is all about the cut and color.

there was one episode, the time when they took someone to France with a $50,000 budget, where the woman was natural and they kept her natural. Nick Arrojo does do curly hair very well IMO, but i havent seen him do very good work with he black women in the show. Usually though, they have weaves or really short hair, so it's not like he has a whole lot to work with. You can't rule out the chance that some of the BW refuse to NOT wear their weaves.

actually, i have to agree with this. He does define curls pretty well.

And did you hear how he asked her why she wore her hair like that? As though it was a problem or she was going through something in her life.

I remember one episode where he cut and styled this woman's weave. Her hair looked better before. And another time he put some ugly spotted blonde pattern on a lady's short natural hair.

How did I know you all would be talking about this?

And did you hear how he asked her why she wore her hair like that? As though it was a problem or she was going through something in her life.

I remember one episode where he cut and styled this woman's weave. Her hair looked better before. And another time he put some ugly spotted blonde pattern on a lady's short natural hair.

I know. When she told him she hadn't relaxed for 5 years he asked her what made her wait so long. :rolleyes: I don't watch this show much, but it really seems like they usually straighten. They don't style outside of straightening and coloring. For those of you who says he does well with curly hair, what kind of curly do you mean? My kind of curly?

There was an episode where he put twists in a natural woman's head and there was one where he put spiral curls in one's head and then the big money show (London, I think it was) where he left the woman's hair natural as it was. I think he tries. But it's a TV show so we don't know what deals they make when they go on those shows. Those shows are about total makeovers, so I suppose they are trying to take the looks from one end of the spectrum to the other end. A total transformation, something different and unusual for them. I love that show and I think they all do a good job.

I dont think i've ever seen him work with hair curlier than maybe 2c-3a (besides the $50000 woman.. whose hair i didnt like before OR afterward). but he definitely says that he likes to work with the natural texture of the person on the show, and in general, if they have wavy/curly hair, he cuts and styles the hair the be curly, and they usually straighten it for one of the final scenes with Stacy and Clinton. (I watch waayy too much of this show. ) I agree, i've never seen him do something i've liked with a black womans hair on the show. However, i think that in most cases, it's not like he had a whole lot to work with in the first place. Generally, when people come in with hair that's already short, the transformation is kinda disappointing.

There was an episode where he put twists in a natural woman's head and there was one where he put spiral curls in one's head and then the big money show (London, I think it was) where he left the woman's hair natural as it was. I think he tries. But it's a TV show so we don't know what deals they make when they go on those shows. Those shows are about total makeovers, so I suppose they are trying to take the looks from one end of the spectrum to the other end. A total transformation, something different and unusual for them. I love that show and I think they all do a good job.

In the end the girl did look cute, Stacy and Clinton helped her pick out some nice clothes. I'm just hoping she can keep up with her hair....

I noticed that in the beginning he would define curls, work with people's texture....
I think somebody yelled at him because now he's gone a total 180

He does the same color and bob to every woman. I cringe every time i see him cut 20 inches of hair. I didn't see this particular episode, but I'm about to tune in now and see if they'll repeat it. I'm not against relaxers, but he should realize that now that woman has to maintain the relaxer. Plus why act like that's our ONLY option? I would've walked out of the show. Actually I would've ran out and taken the Visa card and new shoes.

I noticed that in the beginning he would define curls, work with people's texture....

He does the same color and bob to every woman. I cringe every time i see him cut 20 inches of hair. I didn't see this particular episode, but I'm about to tune in now and see if they'll repeat it. I'm not against relaxers, but he should realize that now that woman has to maintain the relaxer. Plus why act like that's our ONLY option? I would've walked out of the show. Actually I would've ran out and taken the Visa card and new shoes.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I'm on RCN and the guide says "24 yr old Nutritionist... bla bla bla" Is this the episode of WNTW? Because its on in one hour again...

You're right. He gives everyone a bob, type 1 or type 4 it doesn't matter. Unless the woman already has a bob, then he cuts it even shorter.

I think his best styles are on women with curly hair who tell him they want a super low maintenance style.

i think nick is just an all around bad stylist. he can barely even do white women's hair. like someone else said, his range seems to include one cut and color. :lachen:

I watched this show tonight and like most episodes he cuts way too much hair off. After the AA girl's hair was relaxed (the day before he styled) he took down her braids and said she had some pretty hair....it all looked healthy to me, so I don't understand why he had to take so much off. It was hard for me to watch him chop almost half of her hair off.

He could have also blown out her hair and flat iron for the same effect.

At the end they showed her sister and she was natural too.

I watched this show tonight and like most episodes he cuts way too much hair off. After the AA girl's hair was relaxed (the day before he styled) he took down her braids and said she had some pretty hair....it all looked healthy to me, so I don't understand why he had to take so much off. It was hard for me to watch him chop almost half of her hair off.

He could have also blown out her hair and flat iron for the same effect.

At the end they showed her sister and she was natural too.

Exactly.

I just have a feeling that girl is gonna go back to her scarf anyway....

How did I know you all would be talking about this?

I know. When she told him she hadn't relaxed for 5 years he asked her what made her wait so long. :rolleyes: I don't watch this show much, but it really seems like they usually straighten. They don't style outside of straightening and coloring. For those of you who says he does well with curly hair, what kind of curly do you mean? My kind of curly?

IF! I mean IF! I ever had to be asked why am I'm natural at a salon, 1. they'd get the SIDE EYE, 2. if they tried to persuade me to relax....boy they are in for it...NO!

OK I saw it... Her has was cute and I thought he did a great job. She wasn't doing anything with her natural hair. I'm sure its in a ponytail, covered in that dirty rag.

Back