What makes a DC a good DC to you?

leigh.hill

I am a newbie to LHCF. I used my DC yesterday which I have had for more than one year. I applied the DC (SalonExclusive Moisture Silk Creme) to my hair with a little coconut oil (a tip I learned from you ladies). I left it on my hair with shower cap and turbie for more than an hour. I took the cap off and I saw the conditioner just sitting on my hair, like I just pick it in. This seemed "bad" to me :nono: and my hair felt just "okay". So my question to you is...what makes a DC a good DC to you? How do you know that you made the right choice? From my previoius thread, I am on the verge of buying AO Honeysuckle Rose...then I saw a thread about silicon mix (a product that I had a long time ago)...:ohwell:.

My two favorites,THE BEST

Nairobi Humecta-Sil Conditioner
nairobihumectasilcondit.jpg

and
ORS olive oil replenishing conditioner

deepconditionerblog.jpg

:lick:

Basically, for me, if it doesn't feel or look like it is just sitting on my hair, it's good. But, more importantly, my hair has to feel soft and moisturized once it dries.

A DC is good to me if my hair remains moisturized days after...Only two DC's do this for me: AO HSR & Silicon Mix

Really...these are the two conditioners that I am thinking about buying (AO HSR and Silicon Mix)! I was not "knowledgable" about good v. bad conditioners when I had the Silicon mix in the past. I do remember it smelling good and feeling really soft on my hair, but what about the mineral oil in it? I have an issue with dry hair. Does that not scare you?

I said it before and i will say it again, Shea Butter and Olive Oil are like heaven to my hair as a DC...

Really...these are the two conditioners that I am thinking about buying (AO HSR and Silicon Mix)! I was not "knowledgable" about good v. bad conditioners when I had the Silicon mix in the past. I do remember it smelling good and feeling really soft on my hair, but what about the mineral oil in it? I have an issue with dry hair. Does that not scare you?

I waited so long to try Silicon Mix because it had mineral oil and I was missing out! I mean the mineral oil in it doesn't have a negative effect on my hair and since it's rinsed out, I think it's fine.

You won't really know until you have tried different products. But a good conditioner is supposed to at least do what it advertises. And like the previous poster said your hair is supposed to stay moisturized for days after.

A good DC is on that makes my hair strong (less breakage while detangling) and adds moisture and enhances shine to my hair.

Have not experienced more strength or less breakage either...you ladies really have be thinking about doing some more research on conditioners. Thx. Keep the suggestions coming.

The ingredients and the order of the ingredients. A lot of conditioners can "feel" good and have great slip because the first few ingredients listed are all sufracants and emulsions, but the good ingredients are listed way down on the list :nono:. Nothing wrong with cetyl alcolohol and the like, but I prefer them listed after the stuff that actually moisturizes.

I use Trader Joe Nourish Spa: Purified water, organic rosemary oil, organic valencia orange citrus, organic mango, organic lemongrass, organic ginko biloba, organic echinacea, organic willow bark, organic sea kelp, organic chamomile flower, organic textured soy protein, organic lavender, organic grapefruit citrus, Tocopherol (Vit E), Acetamide MEA, Cetyl Alcohol, Citric Acid, Methylparaben, propylparaben, botanical fragrance

A good DC sinks into my hair, and makes it shiny, moisturized, and slippy. Not too many DCs can live up to those requirements... My favs were ORS replenishing, Aubrey Organics + EVOO, Silicon Mix, and my newest addition to the list, Joico Moisture Recovery Balm.

this may sound weird, but after taking off my shower cap, i want my hair to feel HEAVY...like the moisture has sunk into my hair. i have used DCs like motions moisture plus that have done nothing for me...i mean, there is no worse feeling than standing under the shower head rinsing it out and my hair feeling dry UNDER THE RUNNING WATER! if it is rinsed out and my hair feels moisturized instead of just wet, i know we have a winner. kenra mc, gvp conditioning balm, and ION effective care intensive therapy treatment all do this for me.

Anybody have the ingredients for the ORS conditioner? I actually like the idea of trying it out in a small packet (and now I know there is a bottle!!!!). And littlesparke I feel you on the sitting under the dryer putting all this time into a DC to only feel DRY HAIR UNDER WATER. ughhhhhhhh

Hey Lola Laugh - I have both Trader Joe's conditioners!!!! I use them to co-wash. Do you ever use it as DC?

Thanks ladies. This is definitely helping me.

I third (or fourth?) the Silicon Mix (which is what I'm using now) and the ORS Replenishing Pak (I like the condish in the little packets, not the bottle, for some reason).

Dominican conditioners are very moisturizing for coarser hair types (2C and above; 3, 4, whatever). I'd research which one is best for your hair. I also like Miss Key 10 en 1 A LOT. Here's a site to research these conditioners: http://roundbrushhair.com

Also, have you tried pre-pooing? EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil), coconut oil (it's heavy though, so not too much if you have fine hair) and sweet almond oil (which is on the lighter side) are good.

Yes I have been pre-pooing with EVOO, EVCO, honey and a little bit of conditioner - I found it on another thread. I will check out the website. Thanks.

If my hair is soft and I can comb through it with ease, it's a good DC. I LOVE ORS Replenishing Pak (sealed with EVOO) and I tried AO Honeysuckle Rose for the first time Saturday. I like it too (with EVOO of course).

I also do my DC with heat for at least 30 min.

My hair has to be soft, easy to detangle, and very strong in order for me to consider a DC to be a GOOD DC. If my hair snaps while I comb it with a wide-tooth comb or it feels dry, the conditioner can just go in the trash because I won't use it again. I've used too many to remember, but the one that I'm using right now and that really works is Aussie 3 Minute Miracle. I can't believe something so inexpensive can be so good. My hair feels conditioned for days after I use it.

I want to try silicon mix... after I run out of the 50-11 conditioners I have in my stash

Okay here is my question about the silicon mix, because I am the verge of spending the $4 for a $8 bottle! If the second ingredient is mineral oil, how does the conditioner penetrate your hair? Also, some of you talked about strength. Can you get strength from a moisturizing (non-protein) conditioner?

Okay here is my question about the silicon mix, because I am the verge of spending the $4 for a $8 bottle! If the second ingredient is mineral oil, how does the conditioner penetrate your hair? Also, some of you talked about strength. Can you get strength from a moisturizing (non-protein) conditioner?

I don't know what brand will do that for you either. I've started adding an egg to my most moisturizing mixtures. I get a nice balance of strength/moisture.

The Silicon Mix makes my hair soft, but not to the point that it's super mushy or feels weak.

I also recommend Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner. It's available in a lot of drugstores, and is great. I use this as well. Here's the site: http://www.giovannicosmetics.com/

Out of curiosity, what's your hair type, and do you have thick or fine hair? Knowing these things may elicit better, more precise responses from the hair gurus on LHCF.

Uhhhh, I never did the hair alphabet/number test, but I would say that my relaxed hair is more thin than thick and coarse/kinky.

Back