What kinda curl pattern is this?

Re: WTF kinda curl pattern is THIS shyte???

lol sorry OP but your post was so dramatically written I read it that way :lol: like already mentioned most of us have more than one texture. Try not to go to war with them and you'll keep your sanity. The real problem is keeping all the different textures moisturized with one product :ohwell:

Re: WTF kinda curl pattern is THIS shyte???

whiteoleander91 - I really haven't used any heat... I've been airdrying and whatnot... haven't used a flat iron all year... and my blowdrying (as well as any other heat) I use two protectants on my head... shouldn't this help? I mean, if it grows out like this, then it just does... you're right, it's all okay... but it wasn't expected at ALL... and I need to find a hair twin... cuz I'm lost on how to make my hair look neat.

ahh I see. I only mentioned heat damage b/c the last few inches of your hair seemed a lot looser than the first few inches in some spots. I promise you, your hair looks fine! Don't let this stress you out. All hair requires a lot of trial and error, give yourself some time.

lol sorry OP but your post was so dramatically written I read it that way :lol: like already mentioned most of us have more than one texture. Try not to go to war with them and you'll keep your sanity. The real problem is keeping all the different textures moisturized with one product :ohwell:

Lol... beauti - I guess it was written dramatically... but that's how I was FEELING at that moment! Just... ARGH!!!!:drunk::spinning:
I guess me being a bit of a perfectionist, I'm thinking I'll get a certain style and it isn't working and there is NOTHING I can do about it so far... I've bought soooo much product it's ridiculous, Like, I stalk every store for their hair care aisle and even if I don't need it, I will buy SOMEthing or almost buy it because I am seeking this look that is just UNattainable to me... and it's not like I'm a 4c trying to achieve a natural look that a 3b may have... I technically SHOULD be able to rock a wash n go with no problem, I just don't get it... :nono:

ahh I see. I only mentioned heat damage b/c the last few inches of your hair seemed a lot looser than the first few inches in some spots. I promise you, your hair looks fine! Don't let this stress you out. All hair requires a lot of trial and error, give yourself some time.

whiteoleander - Yes, I've been stressing trying to get this to work, you're right... I need to let it go... but its so hard getting a style to work, I do not enjoy looking like a HAM while I'm trying to figure out how my hair works...lol

With you thinking high porosity... Have you incorporated more protein?

Hey cwmarie - I haven't. I took forever to try to do that porosity test... and when I finally did, I read that the test isn't even that accurate, but honey did that strand drop like a brick! Well, once I stuffed it in... at first it just sat on top when I dropped it in, like it didn't even get wet... until I pushed it in.

I've since bought some ORS (the big bottle, which is the same as the ORS condish pak) and some cholesterol... I'm scared of Aphogee...

Do you have any tips for me???? :lick:

Hey cwmarie - I haven't. I took forever to try to do that porosity test... and when I finally did, I read that the test isn't even that accurate, but honey did that strand drop like a brick! Well, once I stuffed it in... at first it just sat on top when I dropped it in, like it didn't even get wet... until I pushed it in.

I've since bought some ORS (the big bottle, which is the same as the ORS condish pak) and some cholesterol... I'm scared of Aphogee...

Do you have any tips for me???? :lick:

Aphoghee 2 Min Reconstructor isn't scary lol. It would be a good Ievel to start. I follow up with a protein free conditioner afterwards or apply it on top after the Aphoghee. I used the ors when I was relaxed. Can't remember how high protein was on the ingredients list.

I would try some light protein just to see if it makes a difference. I also agree with whoever said clay might have some positive effect.

I wonder if oil rinsing or HOT's would help.

I would try some light protein just to see if it makes a difference. I also agree with whoever said clay might have some positive effect.

I wonder if oil rinsing or HOT's would help.

What are HOT's Honey Bee ???
I think ORS is supposed to be a light protein... I've thought about oil rinsing... looks a lil complicated from the youtube vids I've seen...

Aphoghee 2 Min Reconstructor isn't scary lol. It would be a good Ievel to start. I follow up with a protein free conditioner afterwards or apply it on top after the Aphoghee. I used the ors when I was relaxed. Can't remember how high protein was on the ingredients list.

cwmarie - people I know irl that used aphoghee said it made their hair super hard and crunchy... I'd do it, but there are soooo many aphogee products, I'm not sure which one to buy. I don't know how to recognize what proteins are, they aren't listed in normal speak... it's always a list of crap I can't pronounce. How can you tell what a sulfate or paraben or protein really is when they list their ingredients? I actually looked at the Aphoghee 2 min reonstructor and I "think" you needed to use two products at once or something??? It sounded confusing, coupled with the horror stories I've heard... I just put it down because I don't know the right way and I don't have anybody to help me figure it out...

What are HOT's ???
I think ORS is supposed to be a light protein... I've thought about oil rinsing... looks a lil complicated from the youtube vids I've seen...
HOT= hot oil treatment

People in the online hair community like to get extra with stuff :look:, but oil rinsing really shouldn't be complicated. Two methods: Put the oil on dry hair, cover with cap. Leave for a while or sit under a hooded dryer for a few minutes. Rinse with conditioner. Or, wash, pour oil over your head, rinse with conditioner. (I prefer the former, not trynna bust my tail on an oily shower floor. :lol:)

When I was relaxed, I used Aphogee 2 min recon about twice a week. I also put it in my relaxers. But then, I have fine hair made finer by overprocessing. The one that makes your hair hard is the Aphogee 2 step. You're right to be nervous about it. I use it myself about two or three times a year, but it ain't nothing to play with. :lol: The only reason to avoid the much milder Aphogee 2 min. would be if your hair is protein-sensitive. Most report that it feels very moisturizing, your hair just happens to feel stronger too.

krikit96 have you tried raking product in for your wash n go's? You get more definition that way. What styles do you usually rock and how are they working out?

What are HOT's Honey Bee ???

cwmarie - people I know irl that used aphoghee said it made their hair super hard and crunchy... I'd do it, but there are soooo many aphogee products, I'm not sure which one to buy. I don't know how to recognize what proteins are, they aren't listed in normal speak... it's always a list of crap I can't pronounce. How can you tell what a sulfate or paraben or protein really is when they list their ingredients? I actually looked at the Aphoghee 2 min reonstructor and I "think" you needed to use two products at once or something??? It sounded confusing, coupled with the horror stories I've heard... I just put it down because I don't know the right way and I don't have anybody to help me figure it out...

There's the 2 Minute Reconstructor and the two step treatment. Never tried the two step and yes I've heard those horror stories. The 2 Min is just that. Leave it in for 2-5 minutes and rinse. It's a mild protein. Shouldn't harden your hair.

I have a website ingredient dictionary link on my laptop. I'll try to remember to post when home.

krikit96 have you tried raking product in for your wash n go's? You get more definition that way. What styles do you usually rock and how are they working out?

beauti - I tried finger taking... Once I even used my denman... It didn't clump at the root, just the length... So it looked funny and I got frustrated and put the whole thing into a puff...

I do mostly twistouts, but I have to retwist every night if I want to be presentable for work. That's a LOT of manipulation and I feel like I lose a lot of hair...detangling and retwisting every day.

I usually can only wash on the weekend. When my twist-out gets old and I don't retwist, I have a shrunken fro, which I make into a high puff... Ecostyler my hair and tie it down for 10 minutes and I'm out...

There's the 2 Minute Reconstructor and the two step treatment. Never tried the two step and yes I've heard those horror stories. The 2 Min is just that. Leave it in for 2-5 minutes and rinse. It's a mild protein. Shouldn't harden your hair.

I have a website ingredient dictionary link on my laptop. I'll try to remember to post when home.

cwmarie -You have a website ingredient dictionary link??? My gawd!!! I never knew such a thing existed!!! You should post that and make it a sticky!!! You'd be a hero!

Maybe you need a heavier moisturizer or oil or use a serum. I find those can react like gel. Like for example I could use water, a heavy moisturizer and a scarf to simply hold my edges down and I'm 4a and 4b mixed I assume. But I was wetting my hair applying a lighter moisturizer, a heavier one on top for slicking down hair and sealed with an oil and put a scarf on and it was 100% frizz free. But since your doing a twist out you could avoid the scarf and just put it on edges only and put bonnet on top. I don't knows if you did it on wet hair but how ever the hair is set on wet hair it stays if you don't manipulate it while drying. Then the next day use oil to take twists apart

Last edited:
I think if you smooth your hair soaking wet with product that frizz will clump away. Also consider combing less (or not at all) in favor of finger detangling. Sounds crazy I know and will take some getting used to but since I no longer comb I have super definition and no frizz. I am a very defined 4a.

beauti - I tried finger taking... Once I even used my denman... It didn't clump at the root, just the length... So it looked funny and I got frustrated and put the whole thing into a puff...

I do mostly twistouts, but I have to retwist every night if I want to be presentable for work. That's a LOT of manipulation and I feel like I lose a lot of hair...detangling and retwisting every day.

I usually can only wash on the weekend. When my twist-out gets old and I don't retwist, I have a shrunken fro, which I make into a high puff... Ecostyler my hair and tie it down for 10 minutes and I'm out...

The secret to root definition is no combing after your final rinse...learned after much trial and errror!

What are HOT's @Honey Bee ???

@cwmarie - people I know irl that used aphoghee said it made their hair super hard and crunchy... I'd do it, but there are soooo many aphogee products, I'm not sure which one to buy. I don't know how to recognize what proteins are, they aren't listed in normal speak... it's always a list of crap I can't pronounce. How can you tell what a sulfate or paraben or protein really is when they list their ingredients? I actually looked at the Aphoghee 2 min reonstructor and I "think" you needed to use two products at once or something??? It sounded confusing, coupled with the horror stories I've heard... I just put it down because I don't know the right way and I don't have anybody to help me figure it out...

The Aphogee 2 Minute is just a light protein conditioner. You leave it on for a couple minutes. That is different from the 2 STEP which is a 2 step process and is a hard protein treatment. The one I love is Aphogee Green Tea & Keratin Reconstructorizer. I can use it weekly w/no problems for a boost of protein if I don't feel like doing an actual in the shower session. It is a leave in spray.

BTW, your hair looks fine to me. :look: Mostly no one has the same curl pattern on the same head (well except my dd whose hair I envy for that reason. lol)

You should see mine. It is puffy and curly as well. I'm a 4a/b mix. I keep it simple with my hair in twists pulled into a bun, twist outs that I simply preserve by putting in two big braids at night, or twp large twists on either side of my head (if I'm lazy).

cwmarie -You have a website ingredient dictionary link??? My gawd!!! I never knew such a thing existed!!! You should post that and make it a sticky!!! You'd be a hero!

krikit96

Lol. I'm sure other people have this link but here it is http://tightlycurly.com/ingredients/

ETA. This is just a reference. Not a bible, meaning isn't not an authority on what ingredients are good, bad, and ugly :)

Last edited:
The secret to root definition is no combing after your final rinse...learned after much trial and errror!
Wow, I wonder if that will work for me... I'm gonna get myself all worked up again, hoping for something to work...
The Aphogee 2 Minute is just a light protein conditioner. You leave it on for a couple minutes. That is different from the 2 STEP which is a 2 step process and is a hard protein treatment. The one I love is Aphogee Green Tea & Keratin Reconstructorizer. I can use it weekly w/no problems for a boost of protein if I don't feel like doing an actual in the shower session. It is a leave in spray.

BTW, your hair looks fine to me. :look: Mostly no one has the same curl pattern on the same head (well except my dd whose hair I envy for that reason. lol)

You should see mine. It is puffy and curly as well. I'm a 4a/b mix. I keep it simple with my hair in twists pulled into a bun, twist outs that I simply preserve by putting in two big braids at night, or twp large twists on either side of my head (if I'm lazy).
YESSSS @ the bolded... if I had my lil daughters head of hair you couldn't tell me NUFFIN!!! So, you can preserve your twistouts by putting your hair in two big braids? Two braids, like two single braids? Or like french braids? I would be scared that the definition would go away if I tried that on a twistout...

krikit96

Lol. I'm sure other people have this link but here it is http://tightlycurly.com/ingredients/
:yay: Thank you!!!

Op, I could've written this myself. The top section of my hair makes the cutest little ringlets but the frizz is killing me. Don't get me started on the rest of my hair. :ohwell:

So far I've found that using a finisher helps a lot. I use Curls in a Bottle from Curl Junkie. I'm also about to start oil rinsing too because Naptural85 rarely has a stitch of frizz when she styles her hair and she oil rinses often.

Y'all,

I've been hearing about this curl junky curls in a bottle... I wish they were sold somewhere on the ground... I have soooo many products that I can't return, but I guess one more ain't gonna kill anybody. Where's the best place to order from?:look:

Also, I picked up this huge bottle of Xtreme Wetline Hair Gel from sally's and tried another wash n go... the hair in the back looked like it totally loved it, I had more definition than I've ever had with Eco styler... maybe I need some more practice... the hair in the front that waves up instead of curls, I just did a goddess braid around the front of my hair and left it alone, the back, looked like a bunch of springy coils... at least when I first did it... As it dried, I have no clue what it looked like, but the shine was gone. I think I'll try playing around with it. I have no idea why it's soooo hard to figure out ones own hair!

Back