What Kind of Ponytail Holders do you use for Ponytail Rollersets?

I use "ballies" from the $1 store. I think there are 12 in a pack. If I feel any resistance when removing them I cut the balls off :saythat: and the bands fall right out.....I could never get the rubber bands out without assistance. and damage.

I have used ouchless bands and cut up stockings but both have been difficult for me to remove from my hair. I don't know what they are called exactly but I now use the children ponytail holders that have the little balls on them that you twist around each other to secure a ponytail. I attached a picture of some similar to the type I use. I use small ones so they do not get in the way of the rollers and also that do not have the metal part in the middle. The children ponytail holders are very easy to remove since all I have to do is untwist them so there is no pulling and I do not lose any hair. The drawback is it may be harder to put them in, but somehow I manage to hold the ponytail taut and twist the ponytail holder around it with the other hand, then fasten it.

I used these last week and it worked like a charm. I didn't notice any breakage but of course I worry all the time.

So glad to see this post because I was curious...

I have used ouchless bands and cut up stockings but both have been difficult for me to remove from my hair. I don't know what they are called exactly but I now use the children ponytail holders that have the little balls on them that you twist around each other to secure a ponytail. I attached a picture of some similar to the type I use. I use small ones so they do not get in the way of the rollers and also that do not have the metal part in the middle. The children ponytail holders are very easy to remove since all I have to do is untwist them so there is no pulling and I do not lose any hair. The drawback is it may be harder to put them in, but somehow I manage to hold the ponytail taut and twist the ponytail holder around it with the other hand, then fasten it.

I was thinking about getting these yesterday!

I use "ballies" from the $1 store. I think there are 12 in a pack. If I feel any resistance when removing them I cut the balls off :saythat: and the bands fall right out.....I could never get the rubber bands out without assistance. and damage.

I'm gonna try these. I'm using cloth bands but my roots are still puffy. :nono:

I was wondering how many ponytails is good. I did over 30 mesh rollers with pins. In a search I found old archived threads where it looked like 20 - 24 was the average. Do you do more than 1 roller per ponytail? I think I would have to get the duck bill clips if I reduce my number or rollers and/or did more than one roller per ponytail. I am concerned about being able to get straight hair. Any advice TIA.

I did 6 ponytails with 2 rollers on each.

- front to crown on the "mohawk" section
- crown to back on the "mohawk section
- on each side part from mohawk to ear, so 2 ponytails on each side

These are cute. Where can I buy them??

I don't buy them online, but I usually find the children ponytail holders in local BSS. I have not seen them in Sally's. I have seen some in Walmart but most have the metal band in the middle.

I used these last week and it worked like a charm. I didn't notice any breakage but of course I worry all the time.

So glad to see this post because I was curious...

I'm glad it worked for you too. I worry about breakage too, so this works great for me.

I do this too, but where do you find them without the metal part in the middle? I have taken to making my own with the leftover beads and strips of pantyhose.

The ones without the metal band are harder to find, but I buy mine at locally at asian beauty supply stores.

Didn't want to make a new thread but does anyone have any pics? I think I want to try this maybe this weekend. And please post if you were natural, or how many weeks post in the pic

that's a good question, La Femme!

thanks, and also, ladies, could you explain how you do the ponytail rollerset without getting a "hump" in your flat hair where the ponytail was?

LaFemmeNaturelle and grow, I don't have pics but after removing rollers, I wrap my hair using traditional wrap method and then wrap saran wrap over it, sit back under dryer for about 15min-20mins and that removes any dents/humps and provides the hair with more form.

Last edited:
I was wondering how many ponytails is good. I did over 30 mesh rollers with pins. In a search I found old archived threads where it looked like 20 - 24 was the average. Do you do more than 1 roller per ponytail? I think I would have to get the duck bill clips if I reduce my number or rollers and/or did more than one roller per ponytail. I am concerned about being able to get straight hair. Any advice TIA.

I do about 11 ponytails wit 2 rollers per pony with great results.

Back