What is your purpose?

BlkOnyx488

Hey all
I have been challenged with something that I disagree with about THE SECRET.
They say that you make your own purpose. We have to figure out why we are here and go with that

I believe we have a Godly purpose, and we have to figure out the purpose and the plan God has for us.

When I was in college I took this philosphy class and this creepy student
asked me, "What are you built for?" He was trying to say my only purpose as a woman was to make babies. l laid into him (this was long before I was saved so I didn't hold back). Anyway I asked him how can you say my only purpose is making babies, when I can write poetry, songs, paint, build things, mildly sing, make people laugh, love, and learn new things.
How can you say my only purpose is to make babies, because I happen to be a woman.

I continue to struggle with what God wants me to use my talents for, but I must having my boys has given me a purpose, but it is not my only purpose, if it was my search would be over.

So anyone here find their true purpose?
Later
Onyx

Last edited:
I know that my main purpose here is too serve God and do His work. Everything else is extra.

Knowing who God is and what His plan for my life is, helps to understand your purpose...nothing should supersede that. We have been sent by Him to live a life that is pleasing to Him. He gives us everything we need for life and Godliness. As we choose life, our lives begin to unfold His resurrection power in us, and then we are able to go forward with His plan for us. We do have different seasons that we go through, and nothing here on this earth is perfect, but if He has given you a gift/gifts, He has given it to you for you to give Him the Glory with it...He wants glory from it, my sister.

I find that if you are not sure what to do with your gifts, just ask Him. He will reveal His plan for you and those gifts will be put into operation, I guarrantee it!

Blessings.

BlkOnyx488 said:
Hey all
I have been challenged with something that I disagree with about THE SECRET.
They say that you make your own purpose. We have to figure out why we are here and go with that

I believe we have a Godly purpose, and we have to figure out the purpose and the plan God has for us.

When I was in college I took this philosphy class and this creepy student
asked me, "What are you built for?" He was trying to say my only purpose as a woman was to make babies. l laid into him (this was long before I was saved so I didn't hold back). Anyway I asked him how can you say my only purpose is making babies, when I can write poetry, songs, paint, build things, mildly sing, make people laugh, love, and learn new things.
How can you say my only purpose is to make babies, because I happen to be a woman.

I continue to struggle with what God wants me to use my talents for, but I must having my boys has given me a purpose, but it is not my only purpose, if it was my search would be over.

So anyone here find their true purpose?
Later
Onyx
First and foremost the 'Secret' is not of God. It never was nor will it ever be. I don't care who says or tries to prove/state otherwise. However a 'God' has been made out of the 'Secret' by those who have either given up upon God; those who doubt God to be God; and those who just don't have a clue as to who and how much God...God really is.

Bottomline, there is no truth in what is not of God. Hence the the #1 error of the 'Secret' that one makes their own purpose/or actually it is saying that one is their own God.

But it's nothing new, except a new name to disguise satan's ultimate plan to distract man from honoring God for all of whom He is and always will be. God says, He will simply turn those over to themselves...those who choose other gods.

God created us with His purpose in mind...not ours...HIS. Therefore, it is up to us to surrender our all to Him and just accept the fact that there is no other God, but Him, whether we, ourselves have knowledge of His plan for us or not. That's where we TRUST HIM and not wander off seeking other options.

:nono: Lord have mercy upon our souls...Have mercy.

Shimmie said:
First and foremost the 'Secret' is not of God. It never was nor will it ever be. I don't care who says or tries to prove/state otherwise. However a 'God' has been made out of the 'Secret' by those who have either given up upon God; those who doubt God to be God; and those who just don't have a clue as to who and how much God...God really is.

Bottomline, there is no truth in what is not of God. Hence the the #1 error of the 'Secret' that one makes their own purpose/or actually it is saying that one is their own God.

But it's nothing new, except a new name to disguise satan's ultimate plan to distract man from honoring God for all of whom He is and always will be. God says, He will simply turn those over to themselves...those who choose other gods.

God created us with His purpose in mind...not ours...HIS. Therefore, it is up to us to surrender our all to Him and just accept the fact that there is no other God, but Him, whether we, ourselves have knowledge of His plan for us or not. That's where we TRUST HIM and not wander off seeking other options.

:nono: Lord have mercy upon our souls...Have mercy.

I am soooo glad you wrote this. I have been debating about whether or not I should read 'The Secret'. I even bought the book but I let it just sit there for 4 days before I returned it. Then I went back and started to read the first few pages in the book store. Something still didn't feel right and I felt as if it were blaspemy to read it. I prayed that God would help me know if it were "okay" or not. Then the scripture "...Lean not to your own understanding..." popped in my head and I knew that I shouldn't read it. I'd love to hear what others think about 'The Secret'.

Shimmie said:

Lord have mercy upon our souls...Have mercy.

blueabyss333 said:
I am soooo glad you wrote this. I have been debating about whether or not I should read 'The Secret'. I even bought the book but I let it just sit there for 4 days before I returned it. Then I went back and started to read the first few pages in the book store. Something still didn't feel right and I felt as if it were blaspemy to read it. I prayed that God would help me know if it were "okay" or not. Then the scripture "...Lean not to your own understanding..." popped in my head and I knew that I shouldn't read it. I'd love to hear what others think about 'The Secret'.

I agree with you Shimmie. I actually bought a book on the "Law of Attraction," which "The Secret" takes some of its principles from. When I was in the bookstore, I was going to buy "The Secret," but something told me "The [only] Secret" I needed was God and the bible, and to only buy the Law of Attraction book. Interestingly, the "Law of Attraction" book is based on the teachings of Abraham in the old testament of the Bible, what it really focuses on is how the things we put out into the world (which are based on our thoughts) are the things we get back. I hear this every week in church, so I don't feel the "law of attraction" contradicts the bible. But I do think some of the principles of "The Secret" are too new age for me.

As for the OP's question, I believe that God gives us a purpose to live out. As long as we are living in His purpose, I think we are okay. I do believe we have a certain amount of free will. For example, if you wanted to start a particular ministry, God may give you a certain free will as to what ministry to start. Sometimes He is extremely specific in the way He wants something done, and other times, I think He allows us to have certain decision making power (as long as it's in His will).

I also believe that when our hearts are truly with Him, there's really no wrong way to turn!

Nice & Wavy said:
I know that my main purpose here is too serve God and do His work. Everything else is extra.

Knowing who God is and what His plan for my life is, helps to understand your purpose...nothing should supersede that. We have been sent by Him to live a life that is pleasing to Him. He gives us everything we need for life and Godliness. As we choose life, our lives begin to unfold His resurrection power in us, and then we are able to go forward with His plan for us. We do have different seasons that we go through, and nothing here on this earth is perfect, but if He has given you a gift/gifts, He has given it to you for you to give Him the Glory with it...He wants glory from it, my sister.

I find that if you are not sure what to do with your gifts, just ask Him. He will reveal His plan for you and those gifts will be put into operation, I guarrantee it!

Blessings.
I agree! Very well explained! :up:

And I agree with Shimme as well.... THE SECRET is NOT of God!!!

Nice & Wavy said:

Blessings.

ITA (does that stand for i totally agree?)

Back