What Is Your Opinion On Vow Renewals?

If they are done because both parties are truly happy then I'm all for them. Sometimes they are used to gloss over issues and that is when I side eye them.

With so much darkness in the world, I am all for celebrating true love!

eta: I have absolutely no experience:lachen:

I think they're fine (if that's what Y'ALL need :look:), but I think it's kinda tacky to have a whole party surrounding it. That's the couple's personal business and having a party is like trying to have your wedding all over again- IMO. Keep it to yourselves and work on the commitment to each other and strengthening the union. I have zero experience with this.

I like them and think they are beautiful for milestone anniversaries. However I don't want one for myself. My initial wedding was small/intimate but was still expensive and a lot of work. I wouldn't want to do that over again(in terms of those who treat renewals/rededications like full fledged wedddings). Also, I was very disappointed/surprised by the behavior some of my most cherished female loved ones displayed around my wedding as a result of being in their feelings about their own relationships that surfaced and got unloaded on me the month of my wedding. My husband and I shared the wedding with friends and family. We were extremely accommodating FOR FRIENDS AND FAMILY about the wedding itself, but the marriage marriage is just for us. I'll take jewelry and vacations as grand gestures. We take everyday "act right" and appreciation for marital maintenance, affirmations and reminders of what our marriage means to us.

These are just my personal feelings, no offense to anyone who believes differently:

DH and I were going to renew for our 25th anniversary. Not because we are trying to mask any issues or because we hope a renewal will "fix" our marriage but because our wedding was not the glam show I wanted it to be. But as I started putting ideas together, I was like nope! 75% of the people I would invite, I don't even like or associate with on a day-to-day, it is going to cost more than I am willing to spend, and I don't feel like being bothered. Our wedding was what it needed to be at the time. It was small, cheap and only our closest friends and relatives attended. I didn't need a glam show, that day was a great representation of who we are so no need to renew or redo anything.

Instead, we are going to take a really nice, 7 day trip and call it a day.

I think they can work. I eloped when I got married and will have a vow renew ceremony and party at 5 years. My grandparents had a JOP because he went to Germany the next day to train at the army hospital. They renewed their vows at their 50th anniversary. So I think vows are cool.

I want one because I want to have an excuse to plan another trip. Tried to get one at five years, but dh squashed that. I made him promise me that it will be fine at 10. It would just be us and the kids-just an excuse to buy a dress and wear a face full of make up. I'm thinking Hawaii because the kids will be old enough to have a pleasant flight.

I think it’s cute when people renew their view after 40 or 50 years. The grandchildren can go and there’s an entire generation or two that can participate.

If I went to your first wedding I’m not sure I want to go to your vow renewal. Maybe just an anniversary party? And even still, I think those are the most fun for family members.

It’s a no for me. I didn’t pay for or plan my actual wedding, so I’ll just ride this one on out.

Never seen irl, but I would probably side-eye an invitation. If you are just celebrating your love, then host an anniversary party and call it a day. A vow renewal would make me speculate that there is trouble in paradise. Also, a big NO to being a bridesmaid.....
There is no bride because she is already a married woman.... what the heck would they need a bridesmaid for?

I like vow renewal when they are married 25-30 plus years, it's cute then. My parents have been married for 47 years so I would love for them to do it if they were interested.

Some people use them as relationship bandaid's.

My parents renewed their vows for their 25th anniversary and it was lovely, but it isn't something that I would want to do. My wedding was beautiful, but the drama I endured was disheartening. I spent more time tending to everyone else needs and the people who should have been the most supportive caused the most drama. If we were to do a vow renewal it would be on a beach with just us and maybe our kids.

I'm fine with whatever other people want to do, but for myself I think I'd rather have an informal anniversary party instead of an actual vowel renewal ceremony.

I think they should be reserved for milestone anniversaries. Less than 25 years, only if you didn't have a wedding. After 25, I'll be happy for you. I went to a 50th anniversary vow renewal which was nice (but slightly ratchet cause their budget was short).

These are just my personal feelings, no offense to anyone who believes differently:

DH and I were going to renew for our 25th anniversary. Not because we are trying to mask any issues or because we hope a renewal will "fix" our marriage but because our wedding was not the glam show I wanted it to be. But as I started putting ideas together, I was like nope! 75% of the people I would invite, I don't even like or associate with on a day-to-day, it is going to cost more than I am willing to spend, and I don't feel like being bothered. Our wedding was what it needed to be at the time. It was small, cheap and only our closest friends and relatives attended. I didn't need a glam show, that day was a great representation of who we are so no need to renew or redo anything.

Instead, we are going to take a really nice, 7 day trip and call it a day.

I want to plan the same thing for our 15 yr anniversary next year. It is the only option that makes sense at this point.

Dh didn't want a wedding because it would be too expensive(he has expensive taste) and I am resentful I didn't have one.

I think splurging on a nice trip will make up for it.

We thought about doing an anniversary party but I really don't want to be bothered, plus I don't have family that's worth paying for them to come(family cant afford to come), so it would really just be Dh's family and friends that attend. :sad: that's sad.

So an all inclusive trip is the best bang for our buck.

Last edited:
Back