what is too hot?

newflowers

hi ladies,

thanks to the wonderful ladies here and the excellent, spot-on advice I've received over the last two years, my hair went from 2-4 jagged dry breaking inches to a lovely almost collar-bone length - and that's after the recent hair cut. I decided I'd like to wear my hair down every now and then, so I purchased a flat iron (the infiniti by conair). I was a little freaked out before the first use - I'd never used a flat iron before and the only heat my hair has felt in the last two years was during twice weekly deep conditioning and once weekly roller sets under the hooded dryer. I am really afraid that using the flat iron I'm going to end up where I was before, which I really, really don't want.

How hot is too hot? I have vision of the over-heated hair with bubbling and bursted ends pictures. The flat iron has specific settings of 310, 330, 360, 395 F degrees. The 310 setting sounded really hot, but didn't really give the curl I wanted on the ends. 330 was a little better, but the curls fell by mid-morning; 360 was better - curls until 1ish; I bit the bullet and tried 395 - my hair was beautiful - swinging, soft, shiney, with curls all day and into the night. But wow! that's almost 400 degrees.

Soooo ladies, how hot is too hot? Should I just go back to the bun? I really would like the enjoy this cut and length every now and then. I am still conditioning and deep conditioning; I purchased and started using the Chi silk infusion as a heat protectant. Please - what do you think?

I too recently purchased a flat iron (FHI) and I was afraid to use it at first, but I spent the $ on it, so I figured I needed to use it more:grin:... I tyink as long as you continue to use good hair care practices (deep conditioning, moisturizing, etc) your hair should be fine.

The Chi silk infusion, however, is not a heat protectant (from what i understand) :perplexedthe CHI iron guard works well (i heard). i personally used the chi silk infusion, then sprayed my hair with some aveda damage remedy spray type thingy (which is a heat protectant) and the results were magnificent (especially since i suck at flat-ironing):look:

Hope this helps, maybe more ladies will chime in!

Obviously, i need to revisit the concept of heat protectant.

How do you like the FHI? I bought a cheaper flat iron because I'm still a little squicky about using heat. I didn't want to waste mony if it ends up in the closet collecting dust.

Thanks for helping.

nope. it's more as a shine serum to help coat the hair. it's ok to use alone, but it does not replace the need for a heat protectant esepcially over extended use.

I thought the same as well, until several stylist told me otherwise.

I do enjoy the FHI and the results i get from using it! I purchased it for $80 on stylebell.com and it was probably the best iron i have had. I used the ion ceramic straightener and i loved the results, but it left my ends felling dry and scraggly so i took it back. then i asked my friend to buy it again for me (i have a hard time with decisions) and she came back with a gvp from sally's (the sales rep told her it was just as good as the chi, it's not good for my hair). anyway, i went online and researched the fhi and found one with the adjustable heat setting (207 RVI).

I'm honestly in HEAVEN with it!

I use chi products when i do straighten my hair, which probably helps with the reults.

I use the chi shampoo and infra treatment. then i section my hair in four sections, put some silk infusion in and try to get my roots as flat as possible with my metal clips. then i sit under my pink ion hair dryer for about 45 minutes.

After it's dry, i mist my hair with the aveda heat stuff (when i get home, i will tell you the name, it smells wonderful and it's magically delicios for my hair!) and then flat iron in sections.

I flatironed my hair on thursday anmd it was BEAUTIFUL (in my opinion, especially since i did it myself!)

I will post pics this evening when i get home!

Oh i forgot... the cheap flat irons, in my opinion, do more harm than good over time. it's best to invest in a ceramic iron, in my opinion. especially a 100% ceramic iron. those actually help your hair as opposed to those nickel-plated metal ones.

Closer - thanks so much for your help. I've heard so much about Aveda Damage Remedy, that maybe I'll give it a try. I use Phyto and Ojon products as a general rule, and I purchased the Chi specifically because I thought it was a heat protectant. A excuse to buy hair stuff - I like it. The flat iron I purchased says it's 100% ceramic. So... I hope it is.

I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.

The 1st attempt pics with the ion straightener are in my fotki under "flat iron pics" the second attempt with the fhi is not in there, but i do have a pic of the style after finishing with the products. it's under "comparison pics" and it's the pic dated september 4 2008.

the chi silk infusion is great for providing sheen/shine to the hair and helping to make the hair feel soft and manageable. i definitely use it, but i don't use it as my sole heat protectant.

the name of the aveda product is aveda brilliant damage control with camomile. it helps protect the hair from thermal and uv damage and reduces breakage.

Back