WHAT IS THIS?!!

indigodiva

I was looking for a decent grease to apply to my scalp (Petroleum and Mineral Free) So after scouring the aisle at my local BSS, I found a product by Africa's Best Organics--Herbal Tea Tree Gro Lite Hair Conditioner that didn't contain Petroleum or Mineral oil. After washing my hair, I was ready to apply it, but when I put my finger in it, my finger was stopped by this strange, thick, gummy looking substance that was on grease. I should have known something was up. However, I peeled the substance off and applied it to my scalp. Things seemed fine with it, until I decided to apply some down my hair shaft. When I rubbed it together, I noticed it had a gritty texture! I've never had a grease with a gritty texture! Has anyone else experienced this. I'm afraid to put more of this stuff on my hair before I know whats the deal.

This is the gritty texture--I've never seen granules in a grease!! :angry:
gritty1.jpg

This strange gummy substance was on top of the grease..I dont know if its old grease, or what
gritty2.jpg

gritty3.jpg

Last edited:
Re: WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?!!

Oooh girl, I've never seen anything like that before. I wouldn't use anymore of that stuff. Try to see if you can get you can get your money back.

EWWWW!!! Looks like old grease to me. :eek: I would dump that stuff out right away and clarify my hair as well!

Eww! That stuff is probably old. I would try to take it back, although I know a lot of BSS are no refunds/no exchanges :ohwell:

oobrittany said:
Eww! That stuff is probably old. I would try to take it back, although I know a lot of BSS are no refunds/no exchanges :ohwell:

:eek::confused: :eek: Yes, I would definately take it back regardless. They can't fault you because it's not like you can open it up before you buy it. I'm sorry this happen though, I feel your pain.

Wow...that's really disgusting. I'd take it back to the store with a quickness.

Chayil

What's the expiration date? That looks like it expired and started forming a coat at the top. Switch it out and get yourself some good grease...:)

That is so messed up, take it back. I hope they let you exchange it if you are unable to get a refund.

I always thought Africa's Best had "herbal specs" in them. Part of the conditioning treatment maybe? But I have seen their hair ointment before and it had specs in it....

I would microwave it. Its used so Im not sure if they will take it back. And I know that some butters will get gritty if they arent melted all the way and then cooled down quickly. It may very well have semi melted and the different oils seperated (light oil rose to the top and the heavier oil settled at the bottom). I dunno... I like to experiment so melting it would be on my list LOL

That looks old or like it sat open for a long time. Take it back and make them open the next one there before you buy it.

A lot of the BSS's keep products shelved for YEARS until they sell it. They are notorious for that. You probably bought something that wasn't on the best sellers list. None of your products (especially not grease) should have a film like that at the top. The film on the top and the granules in the mix (most likely there are more settled in the bottom) means that the product has been sitting there so long that the blended ingredients have separated.

Like a lot of the other ladies have suggested, you should try to get your money back. If need be, maybe you can take camera with the pics that you posted here to show them what happened when you opened the product. I know that it's only a few bucks, but it's about the principal of the whole thing... It's principalities involved in this....:lol:

I've used that product before and it never had a gritty texture. Eww get your money back!!! That stuff has definitely expired!

That looks strange! TAKE IT BACK! I bought a product out of a Korean BSS and when I got home I saw some green stuff on top. Looked like mold to me. I took that junk back and DARED THEM not to give me a FULL REFUND! They took the product back and tried to issue me an in store credit. I told them I do not shop there regularly and wanted my CA$H back. They promptly rang up my refund.

If not, I would have let everyone in that store know they sell OLD and MOLDY products and not to shop there. I wasn't playing!

I'd be back at the store. That is digusting and it looks like the different oils separated. Don't know if that is suppose to happen but I wouldn't use anymore. They might exchange the product for you and you can get something else. The grit might be the herbs that are used in the products so that I wouldn't be too much worried about.

Definitely might want to clarify tomorrow, depending on how your hair acts tonight

wtf?? :eek: see that is why i ALWAYS open up the product and smell it before i buy anything.

bLaCkMaMa7_7 said:
wtf?? :eek: see that is why i ALWAYS open up the product and smell it before i buy anything.

I do that, too!!

That looks too nasty. I would most definitely be back at the store asking for a refund. If they don't give a refund, I would tell everybody and their grandmama that the store sells nasty, old, expired products. Shoot, I would probably letting everyone know about them even with the refund.

I use that exact grease, and it does not supposed to look like that. It seems as if you got and old/expired/bad batch.

If the store wouldn't take it back I'd send a letter to the manufacturer because that is grrr-ose!!!:eek:

asubeauty said:
I do that, too!!

That looks too nasty. I would most definitely be back at the store asking for a refund. If they don't give a refund, I would tell everybody and their grandmama that the store sells nasty, old, expired products. Shoot, I would probably letting everyone know about them even with the refund.

I did open it! More than one and they all looked like that. I didn't want to put my hand in all in it, but I did smell it and it smelled fine. I noticed it didnt look like regular grease, but i assumed maybe it looked like that b/c it didn't have any petroluem or mineral oil, so it would look all shiny and greasy. I am just going to call the company on Monday and let them know what is going on.

And I'm going back to my BB Super Gro..never had a single problem with that..My momma used it on my hair back in the day, it worked judt fine in my hair..and I like the way it smells! Brings back memories...I'm done being a product junkie!

sareca said:
That skin is kinda creepy. *shiver*

I agree. It looks like it might come alive or something.:lol:

I would've been afraid to touch it.:(

indigodiva said:
I did open it! More than one and they all looked like that. I didn't want to put my hand in all in it, but I did smell it and it smelled fine. I noticed it didnt look like regular grease, but i assumed maybe it looked like that b/c it didn't have any petroluem or mineral oil, so it would look all shiny and greasy. I am just going to call the company on Monday and let them know what is going on.

And I'm going back to my BB Super Gro..never had a single problem with that..My momma used it on my hair back in the day, it worked judt fine in my hair..and I like the way it smells! Brings back memories...I'm done being a product junkie!

Girl... Don't give up on the PJism! You gotta be a trooper and take the good with the bad. LOL! You know if you woke up tomorrow with thick & luscious MBL hair everyone of us would be searching for skunky grease!:lol:

asubeauty said:
I do that, too!!

Ditto, i always opn the jar before i buy it just to make sure no one else has stuck their finger in it and to see if there is anything dodgy about it.
Let this be a lesson to all of us.

I would definately take it back and don't take no for an answer. I hope u'v got ure receipt.

Back