What is this ponytail holder called?

anon123

I am looking for a hair accessory, a ponytail holder. It is usually plastic and cone shaped. You can open and close it like a clamp. The wide base of the cone is against your head, and your hair comes out the narrow top end of the cone. It looks a little like a volcano. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

i just googled "cone shaped ponytail holder" and there's and ebay seller offering them.

sorry somehow I cant copy the picture.

ok got it now

ebay seller is glassman8959

Attachments

• cone.jpg
    cone.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Are you thinking of a banana clip??? I tried uploading a picure of one but I can't get it to load. Maybe you can google it?

Btw - I had to lol at "looking like a volcano"

Does the base have little spikes that grip your hair? I think I know what you're talking about...

Is it round? Kinda looks like a miniature bun or pile of poop? Lol I'm serious.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

^^^ That sounds likethe same thing I'm talking about, I'm trying to find a picture but don't know what it's called!

These things were big in the 80's. I remember having one and not being able to wear it in my hair until I got box braid extensions. Loved them back then. No idea what we'd call them. Hair cones? :perplexed No clue where you could find them these days except for some person on ebay.

Attachments

• cones1.jpeg
    cones1.jpeg
    12.7 KB · Views: 80
Do you mean this one:

ad563dee-0441-5207.jpg
ad563dee-047d-3f6e.jpg

Not sure what it's called but I got it at Target near the hair clips.

ETA SimJam, that tortoise shell one you posted is cute, I think I may need to buy that :)

Last edited:
i just googled "cone shaped ponytail holder" and there's and ebay seller offering them.

sorry somehow I cant copy the picture.

ok got it now

ebay seller is glassman8959

That is really similar, yes. Very close.

I recall something like this from the '80s. Is that what you referring to?

Yeah, they were really popular in the 80s, right!

These things were big in the 80's. I remember having one and not being able to wear it in my hair until I got box braid extensions. Loved them back then. No idea what we'd call them. Hair cones? :perplexed No clue where you could find them these days except for some person on ebay.

This is exactly it! I want one of those! Who knows where I can buy them?

Zaz, Hmm, that might work, too. Is it prone to tangling in your hair? Do you have to pull your hair through it rather than clamping it around your hair?

That is really similar, yes. Very close.

Yeah, they were really popular in the 80s, right!

This is exactly it! I want one of those! Who knows where I can buy them?

@Zaz, Hmm, that might work, too. Is it prone to tangling in your hair? Do you have to pull your hair through it rather than clamping it around your hair?

If I'm not mistaken I saw them at claire's or at cvs..good luck

It didn't snag my hair but I haven't worn it in a while since cutting my hair. I liked it because I could pull my hair back without it being tight. I could also wrap my hair around it and turn a ponytail into a quick bun.

I am looking for a hair accessory, a ponytail holder. It is usually plastic and cone shaped. You can open and close it like a clamp. The wide base of the cone is against your head, and your hair comes out the narrow top end of the cone. It looks a little like a volcano. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I know exactly what you're talking about. I think it's made by Scunci, if not them then Goody. I bought mine at CVS.

i was just looking for youtube reviews on this thing last night. I couldn't find any cuz i didn't know what it was called. What a coincidence

@mwedzi, I'm with everyone who's wondering how you plan on putting that mane in anything sold in a store. They aren't ready for that glorious head of hair. :giggle:

I have the clip that @Zaz posted. I got it from CVS. I use it for my tiny bun. It's made for little hair Mwedzi. :lol:
Twistsinaprotectiveishstyle-vi.jpg

But I tell ya, if you placed an order for one, you probably could get one made and be the one endorsing it. Think$ about$ it$ Girl$!!!!

mwedzi they are right. You have super thick luxurious hair :lick: you're gonna have to wear it full on 80's if you wanna wear that clip. Half in ponytail, half down (like the 1st style in the pic). I came across this when looking for a pic of that ponytail holder, LOL.

Attachments

• 80shairtrends.jpg
    80shairtrends.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 72
If I'm not mistaken I saw them at claire's or at cvs..good luck

Thanks. I actually stopped into a Claire's looking for one today, but this one didn't have any. Boo! I will check CVS

I remember those!!!! Mwedzi how are you fixin to get all that lushness in that small holder??

Hmm, I hadn't figured that part out yet. I semi-straightened my hair last week, so it probably could have fit then. Don't know about this week . . .

I know exactly what you're talking about. I think it's made by Scunci, if not them then Goody. I bought mine at CVS.

Oh, I'll check Goody's website!

@mwedzi, I'm with everyone who's wondering how you plan on putting that mane in anything sold in a store. They aren't ready for that glorious head of hair. :giggle:

I have the clip that @Zaz posted. I got it from CVS. I use it for my tiny bun. It's made for little hair Mwedzi. :lol:
Twistsinaprotectiveishstyle-vi.jpg

But I tell ya, if you placed an order for one, you probably could get one made and be the one endorsing it. Think$ about$ it$ Girl$!!!!

Oh, is that how you wear it? So the hair isn't pulled through like a ponytail holder, but it's a bun holder. Aww. But there are other bun holders that are bigger:
http://majestichairflower.com/index.php?q=node/14
I really want to try one of those one of these days.

@mwedzi they are right. You have super thick luxurious hair :lick: you're gonna have to wear it full on 80's if you wanna wear that clip. Half in ponytail, half down (like the 1st style in the pic). I came across this when looking for a pic of that ponytail holder, LOL.

Yeah, I might try it half up. I wanted to recreate the look of when you hold your hair in your hand like a ponytail, and this cone thing seems to come closest.

mwedzi

The device Nonie showed is called the "Scunci Expandable Ponytailer". There's a thread on it from July. Just search "Scunci". I'd include the link, but I don't know how, using my iPhone. You're supposed to pull all the hair through - into a ponytail, but the general consensus was that it was a no-go for long and thick hair. All of the posters with long hair broke ours, lol.

The cone thingy is cool - getting ready to order one. I remember those from the 80's :yep: After I get mine I'll post a pic in the Everday Hair sticky thread.

I get sick of y'all making me spend $$$ everytime I log on...

Last edited:
@sipp100 is right; that thing can be used either way, @mwedzi, as shown on the card it comes with:
414f6cDvZ6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But I think your hair would have to be straightened, Mwedzi, for you to be able to use it as a ponytail holder, just so you can twist your hair and get a narrow pony to fit in it. The way I'd use it is make a pony with a friendly elastic and then add it as an accessory so you're not pulling hair through it.

Last edited:
@mwedzi, I don't think I've seen the phrase "bun cage" since way back when Jade with her classic length hair was on the forum. The whole idea that hair could be so long/big that it had to be kept in a cage was mind-blowing to me and exciting to a point of delirium. :drunk: Oh how I wish...
41XY2zYEw-L._SX385_.jpg

eBayISAPI.dll

@mwedzi, I don't think I've seen the phrase "bun cage" since way back when Jade with her classic length hair was on the forum. The whole idea that hair could be so long/big that it had to be kept in a cage was mind-blowing to me and exciting to a point of delirium. :drunk: Oh how I wish...
41XY2zYEw-L._SX385_.jpg

eBayISAPI.dll

Oh wow! I remember these things from the 80's also! Did we stop using those accessories because they were bad for our hair or simply because they went out of style?

Back