What is this cones???

Saida

I've heard alot of people talking about cones and I think sulfate or something im not sure..

Whats bad about cones? and what exactly is it, what does it do??

TIA :D

I think I read somewhere that they coat the hair. I'm not really sure if that's the only reason they are bad. I would like to know the correct answer also.

Silicones cover the hair with a thin film. This film helps the hair to resist humidity (not frizz up so fast), can make the hair silky and easier to comb, and also can reduce moisture loss from the hair. Some silicones build up on the hair though and can be hard to remove with regular shampoo so a clarifying shampoo may be needed. Silicone can make your hair feel really good on initial use but, over time, hair with silicone build up doesn't allow conditioners or treatments to penetrate and can get dry, straw-like and damaged.

There is a good write-up on silicones at the Beauty Brains: http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/01/29/are-silicones-bad-for-your-hair/

Hey thanks for the info :yep:

So if basically its not bad for your hair unless you use it for a long period of time without clarifying? or?? :look:

Wow! Thanks for the info. So basically they are good to se every now and again.

Saida said:
Hey thanks for the info :yep:

So if basically its not bad for your hair unless you use it for a long period of time without clarifying? or?? :look:

Well... You really have to watch your hair and see how it reacts. Some people have found that their hair really doesn't agree with cones at all. I find that as long as I am clarifying and deep conditioning regularly I can get away with products that have some cones in them, like rinse out and leave-in conditioners. I don't use pure silicone serums because I found that these built up and dried out my hair really fast.

HHG

HHG=Happy Hair Growing

The ingredients usually end in -cone or -conol and sometimes in -siloxane.

A few ingredients that silicones are: Dimethicone, Dimethiconol, Cyclomethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane.

If you're natural, cones are not good because the build up requires you to use a harsh clarifying shampoo that contain sulfates, which are really drying to natural hair.

Back