What is the shelf life of a relaxer?

Bosslady1

Hi Ladies,

I will be doing a at home touch up pretty soon. I am using the affirm line. I have a half full relaxer (the big tub) that have been sitting on my dresser from since last summer. It smells fresh...:confused:

Do you think I should use it or just buy a new one? ...I hate to have wasted $$$ for something that I only used half of!

...Please help.

What is the shelf life of a relaxer?

I've had my relaxer tub 2 years and it still works great.

My mother has had her amost 4 years.

I'm sure there's enough chemicals in it that it probably won't go bad.

I'm not sure but I think relaxers keep for years at a time.I only use half each time and I set mine in the freezer while I do my three month stretch it comes out fine.

texasgrl said:
I'm not sure but I think relaxers keep for years at a time.I only use half each time and I set mine in the freezer while I do my three month stretch it comes out fine.

My friend also puts hers in the freezer. Why do you do that?

texasgrl said:

This is sooo good! :clapping:

I just retouched w/Phyto & put the leftovers in the fridge.

:scratchch But freezer,hmmmm?!?!

For Affirm, the manufacture year is the first number in the code imprinted on the tub of relaxer. It's good for three years from that date.

I was told at Sally's that a relaxer is bad when the color changes from white to brown. If it starts to get tan or dark in any sense, throw it out.

LiLi said:
For Affirm, the manufacture year is the first number in the code imprinted on the tub of relaxer. It's good for three years from that date.

Thanks for that info. I'd been wondering how to tell if the Affirm relaxer tub I have is any good.

I was just at Sally's yesterday buying some ors relaxer and asked the exact same thing. The clerk told me it should keep for about two years and i should smell it to check if it's still good. She also told me that the first 4 numbers on the price tag tell the month and year when the product arrived at the store.

nubianqt86 said:
I was told at Sally's that a relaxer is bad when the color changes from white to brown. If it starts to get tan or dark in any sense, throw it out.

I've never heard of that but, just remember, that the strength of relaxers lessens the longer you have them. That is why it is important to know the manufacture date.

Back