What is the function of a rinse vs. a conditioner?

dreamgurl

I've noticed a lot of people saying they use rinses, but it sounds almost like a conditioner...how do they differ from one another? This I'm referring mostly to the Dominican product users. TIA

A rinse is much thinner than a conditioner, and is usually more for detangling. Dominicans will often condition w/ one product and comb a rinse through after that (at least the salons that I've been to). I think the main difference is that a conditioner contains ingredients that are supposed to do something to the hair, i.e. add protein, moisture, shine, nourish split ends, add volume, etc., and a rinse is just supposed to make the hair more combable after shampoo. Just my .02 cents though. HTH

Ayana, that's one of the best explanations I've seen on the net. I was actually googling for hours yesterday, trying to find a straight answer of exactly what a rinse is. I've always suspected that they are redundant and product-excessive.

But I purchased my first rinse yesterday. Now that I am more informed of their uses, I've decided to try one and see if it enhances my hair regime. From what I know, they do all the things that Ayana spoke of, and they're suppose to completely rid the hair of shampoo's harsh detergents and residue. Often they claim to do the same thing as conditioners, too.

So, the rinse is supposed to be applied before or after the conditioner? TIA /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
So, the rinse is supposed to be applied before or after the conditioner? TIA /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

from ayanapooh's explanation, it seems like a rinse is applied after the conditioner. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Either after the conditioner, or in the place of a conditioner, which I don't really like to do b/c they're not that, uh, conditioning. LOL /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I have also heard of Dominican salons mixing a rinse in with regular conditioner, I guess then u get all the benefits in one!

When I was ordering my hair products from sickbay, it said that you apply the rinse after shampooing and then apply the conditioner. I agree that the rinse mainly helps to detangle. I don't use it that often because I get lazy and don't feel like putting it in and then rinsing it out just to put in a conditioner and do the same thing.

Back