what is the exact way to blowdry

growingbrown

the only way I know how is with the wide tooth comb attachment. I have an Hot Tools Ion blowdryer. How should I properly blow dry my hair?

thanks ladies

That is one of the worst ways to blow dry your hair!!! Pulling and tugging. Hopefully, someone will be able to give you tips on how to blow dry your hair. Me? I never learned to blow dry.

Good luck!!!!:)

growingbrown said:
the only way I know how is with the wide tooth comb attachment. I have an Hot Tools Ion blowdryer. How should I properly blow dry my hair?

thanks ladies

Apply your leave ins, moistureize and seal ends.
Let hair dry 80-90 percent (if possibel)
section hair into four parts and clip (like you do when you relax)
spray w/some heat protectant
take each section and part again.
I like to blow dry with a round brush
if that's too complicated use a denman brush, starting at the root, holding the dryer down, blow and move the brush down.
continue until you've finished

the key is to keep the dryer and brush moving at the same time in the same direction.

Does this make sense? if not let me know and I'll try to explain a little better :confused:

ETA: I just saw that you have one with the comb attachment. Blow dry the same way, but minus the brush.

JLove74 said:
Apply your leave ins, moistureize and seal ends.
Let hair dry 80-90 percent (if possibel)
section hair into four parts and clip (like you do when you relax)
spray w/some heat protectant
take each section and part again.
I like to blow dry with a round brush
if that's too complicated use a denman brush, starting at the root, holding the dryer down, blow and move the brush down.
continue until you've finished

the key is to keep the dryer and brush moving at the same time in the same direction.

Does this make sense? if not let me know and I'll try to explain a little better :confused:

ETA: I just saw that you have one with the comb attachment. Blow dry the same way, but minus the brush.

So I should airdry my hair until almost completely dry, then blo dry with brush or comb attachment? I usually blowdry right after rinsing the conditioner out.

Any more tip/suggestions. Please

I'm a 4a natural so I'm not sure if this advice will work for anyone with relaxed hair. I rinse with cool water and then put my hair in two ponytails after adding a blow dry straightening lotion (Loreal or Redken). Then I detangle the back first with a wide tooth comb (carefully). I blow dry with a comb attachment. I put the blow dried section back into a ponytail and then do the top the same way. I do not blow dry my hair bone straight.

*The Maxiglide straightens my hair better than a pressing comb - so I use that for straightening.

Try to detangle your hair first and then use the blow dryer on the lowest heat setting to dry your hair. The less heat the better for hair health. Be sure to use a leave-in or heat protectant first.

I'm always looking for new tips or a way to exclude the blowdryer all together from my routine. This week I may airdry for the first time and then use the maxiglide. I'm scared. (laughs)

Damn shame all this time I was blowfrying my hair wrong. I wasn't sealing my ends. Never knew I was supposed to:perplexed .
Thanks JLove for this info. Very helpful.:grin:

I agree with JLove.
I finally learned how to blowdry my hair correctly and now I am getting ECXELLENT results:

1. I shampoo, condition, ect...as usual
2. Apply leave in conditioner ( I use spray leave in)
3. Then I section my hair into four and apply some thermal protectant(right now I'm using fantasia heat protecting serum)
4. I braid each section and pin it up
5. Once my hair is 60-80% dry(my roots are dry and my ends are damp) I proceed to blow dry each section one by one using the low setting.

IMPORTANT: Remember a blow dryer is first and foremost a drying tool and not a straightening tool, do not continue to blow dry your hair once it's dry just to get it straight! Result=frizzy dried out split ends:mad:

To use the blowdryer to straighten, I let my hair air dry almost completely, then I use a denman brush. I gently brush down and out (staying an inch or so from the roots), while turning my wrist inward, pinky toward my head (kind of like how you would use a pressing comb) to pull and hold the hair taut. Then I aim the dryer at that one place until its dry (5-20 sec) and I may move the brush over it a few times to make sure it's taut enough, then I slowly move the brush toward the ends (SLOWLY). I do that no more than 3 times. Doing it this way will decrease the chances of damage from pulling the hair. Make sure the dryer isn't too close to the hair to decrease the chance of heat damage. Then I move on the the next braid.

Last edited:
Well, after shampooing and deep conditioning, I spray on some Motions Nourish Leave-In Conditioner then apply Garnier Fructis Length and Strength Anti-Split Ends Leave-In Treatment. After working those through my hair, I use the Garnier Sleek and Shine Weightless Anti-Frizz Serum (which provides great slip for detanging, btw) and then comb through my hair with a wide-tooth comb. After that, I divide my hair into four sections and spray Nexxus Heat Protexx on each section. Since my BaByliss Thermal Ionic Dryer only came with a concentrator nozzle, I recently bought one of those Conair vent brushes (which work really well) and I hold my dryer in one hand and use the other to brush through each section as I blow dry.

lana said:
I'm a 4a natural so I'm not sure if this advice will work for anyone with relaxed hair. I rinse with cool water and then put my hair in two ponytails after adding a blow dry straightening lotion (Loreal or Redken). Then I detangle the back first with a wide tooth comb (carefully). I blow dry with a comb attachment. I put the blow dried section back into a ponytail and then do the top the same way. I do not blow dry my hair bone straight.

*The Maxiglide straightens my hair better than a pressing comb - so I use that for straightening.

Try to detangle your hair first and then use the blow dryer on the lowest heat setting to dry your hair. The less heat the better for hair health. Be sure to use a leave-in or heat protectant first.

I'm always looking for new tips or a way to exclude the blowdryer all together from my routine. This week I may airdry for the first time and then use the maxiglide. I'm scared. (laughs)

This is helpful to me. How dry/wet is your hair when you start?

Well, when I blowdry, I don't do it to straighten. I just blow dry it while finger combing lightly after I have applied my leave-in and serum. I stop the blowdryer in about 4 different intervals during the process to comb it out.

When my hair is about 80% dry, I apply oil to my scalp (I get a dry scalp sometimes) and then finish drying it.

I stopped using combs and brushes during because it was pulling my hair out.

I do flat-iron afterwards, though.

The best way to blowdry your hair is by drying it in ROLLERS FIRST! :yep:
Then, blowdry the roots with a blowdrier. This is actually good for your hair when done correctly and better than letting it airdry IMO b/c it keeps your ends healthy. :yep:

rinygirl6 said:
I agree with JLove.
I finally learned how to blowdry my hair correctly and now I am getting ECXELLENT results:

1. I shampoo, condition, ect...as usual
2. Apply leave in conditioner ( I use spray leave in)
3. Then I section my hair into four and apply some thermal protectant(right now I'm using fantasia heat protecting serum)
4. I braid each section and pin it up
5. Once my hair is 60-80% dry(my roots are dry and my ends are damp) I proceed to blow dry each section one by one using the low setting.

IMPORTANT: Remember a blow dryer is first and foremost a drying tool and not a straightening tool, do not continue to blow dry your hair once it's dry just to get it straight! Result=frizzy dried out split ends:mad:

I have to say, reading this just made a lightbulb go on in my head!

Just one question, because I'm on the Newbie challenge and really shouldn't be blowdrying my hair till Feb:sekret:, but just for general information..... is it better to blowdry your hair from wet, or when its dry? Which is healthier for the hair?

I would think that letting the hair partially hair dry is better because you spend less time with a handheld dryer applying DIRECT heat and that is what we are all trying to avoid.

I'm not sure this is the best but my method of blowdrying:

1) apply leave-in conditioner (Aveda Elixir or Biolage Daily Leave-In Tonic) throughout hair (especially to ends)

2) apply Aveda Brilliant Emollient Finishing Gloss

3) seal ends with jojoba or coconut oil

4) detangle hair (most of the detangling is done when rinsing the conditioner in the shower so my hair really isn't that tangled at this point--I'm more so distributing the products placed on my hair)

5) part hair in 4-6 sections

5) blow dry each section. I use a ceramic/ionic blow dryer with comb attachment

Since using the ceramic blow dryer, my drying time has been reduced from 45 minutes to probably about 15 minutes.

The results--silky, bouncing hair!

Another lady mentioned airdrying your hair until it is 70-80% dry and then blowdrying. This is good. Another good way is to towel dry your hair with a great microfiber hair towel and tie the towel around your hair until your hair is 70-80% dry. Then proceed to blow dry.

Also, I personally would never use the attachment again, especially on relaxed hair. In my experience, it rips your hair out and requires that the heat source be right against your hair. Use a great paddle or vented brush with smooth, stiff bristles and keep the moving drying far away from the hair. If it is hot enought to burn your hand, it is hot enough to burn your hair.

Make sure you use a good ceramic, ionic dryer too. They dry more quickly and are purported to seal the cuticle, therefore reducing the damage to your hair.

I have a Denman Straightening brush (I have the older one that isn't ceramic, though). It's a little easier to handle than a round brush but you still gotta work out that two-handed thing. Make sure your hair is detangled before using the straightening brush, and don't clamp it down too hard--there will be a brush on each side of the section of hair so you really don't need to apply much pressure to smooth the hair out.

How wet your hair should be when you start depends on a lot of things. If your hair is relaxed straight it's probably a good idea to let it airdry a bit first so you don't have to use so much direct heat.
If your hair is natural or only partially relaxed, you'll probably have better straightening results if you blowdry wetter. If you aren't trying to straighten then obviously it won't matter. But when you're trying to get your hair to dry straight, you need to "set" it into a smooth, straight pattern, and the best way to do that is to pull it straight while it's still very pliable (read: still pretty damp). If you let it dry naturally first, you're going to be trying to run a comb or brush through waves/curls that are already set or almost set, which is going to be pretty rough on your hair. You'll get much sleeker results and less broken hair if you get going while the hair won't resist straightening so much.
But of course as others have mentioned, you'll have to be aiming the dryer at each section longer to get the section completely dry, so you do have a trade off. If you want to straighten frequently you might want to put in the effort to learn how to do a good rollerset to let your hair dry smoothly without so much heat.

BlackCardinal said:
I have a Denman Straightening brush (I have the older one that isn't ceramic, though). It's a little easier to handle than a round brush but you still gotta work out that two-handed thing. Make sure your hair is detangled before using the straightening brush, and don't clamp it down too hard--there will be a brush on each side of the section of hair so you really don't need to apply much pressure to smooth the hair out.

How wet your hair should be when you start depends on a lot of things. If your hair is relaxed straight it's probably a good idea to let it airdry a bit first so you don't have to use so much direct heat.
If your hair is natural or only partially relaxed, you'll probably have better straightening results if you blowdry wetter. If you aren't trying to straighten then obviously it won't matter. But when you're trying to get your hair to dry straight, you need to "set" it into a smooth, straight pattern, and the best way to do that is to pull it straight while it's still very pliable (read: still pretty damp). If you let it dry naturally first, you're going to be trying to run a comb or brush through waves/curls that are already set or almost set, which is going to be pretty rough on your hair. You'll get much sleeker results and less broken hair if you get going while the hair won't resist straightening so much.
But of course as others have mentioned, you'll have to be aiming the dryer at each section longer to get the section completely dry, so you do have a trade off. If you want to straighten frequently you might want to put in the effort to learn how to do a good rollerset to let your hair dry smoothly without so much heat.

Thanks so much for the instructions. I am affraid that my hair will look like a big puff. I am 9 weeks post relaxed. I will probably give it a try on freshly relaxed hair. That will be in late January.

HoneyDew said:
Well, when I blowdry, I don't do it to straighten. I just blow dry it while finger combing lightly after I have applied my leave-in and serum. I stop the blowdryer in about 4 different intervals during the process to comb it out.

When my hair is about 80% dry, I apply oil to my scalp (I get a dry scalp sometimes) and then finish drying it.

I stopped using combs and brushes during because it was pulling my hair out.

I do flat-iron afterwards, though.

This is how I blowdry except I don't comb anytime during the process. I detangle in the shower. Afterward, I let my hair airdry for about 30-40 minutes. then I blowdry using a fanning technique. I basically just hold the blowfryer over my head and move it around while fingering out my hair. I hope that makes sense.

Back