What is "normal" breakage?

OnlyErin

What is \"normal\" breakage?

Hi, all!

I have been experience a little breakage since my last touchup, and a few days ago did a protein and moisture treatment. The breakage hasn't stopped, however. I called my cousin in Philly, who is in the process of becoming a beautician, and asked her if maybe I'm having an allergic reaction to the relaxer (my scalp is itchy), and she asked me if I noticed any sores, broken-off patches or excessive flaking (no on all counts). Then I told her about the breakage. She asked me how severe it was, and I told her that after a thorough comb-through, I had something like 8-10 broken strands on my shoulder. She then laughed at me, and told me I was lucky I was the one who called, because she would not have wasted long-distance minutes on such foolishness. She said 8-10 was nothing, but it seems to me if 8-10 hairs break a day on avg., that really adds up.
shocked.gif
I've tried the Emergence and Aphogee treatments with neglible results, which is why I decided to try organic lines. But now my cousin has me thinking - can all breakage be stopped completely? I wouldn't be too concerned, but I had a sizable trim at my last touchup, and my ends weren't even that bad.

OE

Re: What is \"normal\" breakage?

Do you mean breaking or shedding?

Shedding is when the hair comes out directly from the scalp.. if you look closey at the strand you should see a little white bulb at one end, If not, it means breakage.

Some amount of shedding is okay. The avg is about 50-70 hairs shed per day.

OnlyErin,

I think your cousin is right. 8-10 hairs does seem like a lot when you are really concerned about growing healtht pretty hair it. But in truth normal breakage is to be expected and from just normal wear and tear - especially after chemical treatment. It doesn't mean anything is wrong necessarily and I think you're fine. I get about that. If your really nervous watch the look of your hair and if you start to see problems add some moisture.

If your hairs are snapping right in the middle of the strand like a corn stalk, I would be concerned. But probably not over 8-10 hairs per day.
smile.gif

I've never heard of normal breakage...I thought there was normal shedding but not breakage...
confused.gif

Once your hair breaks there is no cure. No products that will repair it. There ARE products that can help your hair NOT to break by added moisture.
I always thought that you have to either cut off the hair if you are having breakage or let you hair grow and keep it from breakage by keeping your hair well moisturize.
confused.gif

Hi OnlyErin,
I am by no means a hair expert, but I am with Napptural...I havent ever heard of normal breakage. I thought breakage meant that something was wrong(and not necessarily something that you are doing, but perhaps could be internal)
But perhaps breakage goes with the relaxed territory? I have been natural for almost a year, so I dont quite remember how to care for relaxed hair.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
OnlyErin said:
Hi, all!

I have been experience a little breakage since my last touchup, and a few days ago did a protein and moisture treatment. The breakage hasn't stopped, however. I called my cousin in Philly, who is in the process of becoming a beautician, and asked her if maybe I'm having an allergic reaction to the relaxer (my scalp is itchy), and she asked me if I noticed any sores, broken-off patches or excessive flaking (no on all counts). Then I told her about the breakage. She asked me how severe it was, and I told her that after a thorough comb-through, I had something like 8-10 broken strands on my shoulder. She then laughed at me, and told me I was lucky I was the one who called, because she would not have wasted long-distance minutes on such foolishness. She said 8-10 was nothing, but it seems to me if 8-10 hairs break a day on avg., that really adds up. &lt;img src="http://64.62.140.213/~longhair/images/graemlins/shocked.gif" alt="" /&gt; I've tried the Emergence and Aphogee treatments with neglible results, which is why I decided to try organic lines. But now my cousin has me thinking - can all breakage be stopped completely? I wouldn't be too concerned, but I had a sizable trim at my last touchup, and my ends weren't even that bad.

OE

[/ QUOTE ]

Also in your statement..its seems like your using too much protein...maybe if you cut the protein out for now and use more moisturizing shampoos/conditioners it might help with the new growth not to break. But the breakage you already have I don't think there is any products for that...maybe the other ladies here can help...

Hi Napptural and LavenderD!

I think Tracy gave probably the best and most definitive answer to my question. I am relaxed, and relaxed heads usually have some amount of chemical damage that will cause some hairs to break. It's just a reality of relaxed hair. What I was concerned about was that I'd been underprocessed (again
mad.gif
) and it seemed to me that 8-10 broken hairs when I combed was waay too much, especially since I moisturize all the time. What my cousin, who is going through beauty school (not that that makes her an expert, but still) told me was basically the same thing Tracy said - some breakage is to be expected when you're chemically altering your hair structure. It is problematic when all your hair is doing is snapping off. I had wanted to know if 8-10 hairs was a "normal" amount of breakage working on the theory that very few relaxed heads would be totally breakge free, no matter how much moisturizing one does. I have determined that it is probably normal. Also, I have been moisturizing more lately (Pantene's Detangling Conditioner is amazing!
smile.gif
) and have seen even less breakage. As you two are natural, I'm sure that it's a different story altogether. When I was natural, I had zero breakage, but again, I was not chemically altering (weakening) the structure of my hair.

Thanks again,
OE

OnlyErin said:
Hi Napptural and LavenderD!

I think Tracy gave probably the best and most definitive answer to my question. I am relaxed, and relaxed heads usually have some amount of chemical damage that will cause some hairs to break. It's just a reality of relaxed hair. What I was concerned about was that I'd been underprocessed (again
mad.gif
) and it seemed to me that 8-10 broken hairs when I combed was waay too much, especially since I moisturize all the time. What my cousin, who is going through beauty school (not that that makes her an expert, but still) told me was basically the same thing Tracy said - some breakage is to be expected when you're chemically altering your hair structure. It is problematic when all your hair is doing is snapping off. I had wanted to know if 8-10 hairs was a "normal" amount of breakage working on the theory that very few relaxed heads would be totally breakge free, no matter how much moisturizing one does. I have determined that it is probably normal. Also, I have been moisturizing more lately (Pantene's Detangling Conditioner is amazing!
smile.gif
) and have seen even less breakage. As you two are natural, I'm sure that it's a different story altogether. When I was natural, I had zero breakage, but again, I was not chemically altering (weakening) the structure of my hair.

Thanks again,
OE

[/ QUOTE ]
smile.gif
Your Welcome...

As you two are natural, I'm sure that it's a different story altogether. When I was natural, I had zero breakage,

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't been natural all my life, I too had relax my head. I guess it will be normal if you relax cause your right I haven't had breakage since I went natural and I remember when I did relax I did have "some" breakage but to me I thought that wasn't good
crazy.gif
...so I had stopped. So I understand what you are saying.
smile.gif

~Napptural~

Hair breaks for lots of reasons, considering we loose lots of hairs a day 8-10 really is not much.

It seems like it when you see it though. Keep an eye on it a couple of days, See how long it keeps up, are there more or less and try to pinpoint what's causeing it.

It's not lack of moisture all the time.

The hair that is normal to loose is "shedding" hair not breaking hair. we shed about 50 hairs a day.. this is hair that has outlasted the growing stage and simply falls out from the root..

Breakage is not a normal process it results from , using heat and burning the hair, using a fine comb which pulls and snaps the hair, or being rough with the hair.

emgurl said:
The hair that is normal to loose is "shedding" hair not breaking hair. we shed about 50 hairs a day.. this is hair that has outlasted the growing stage and simply falls out from the root..

Breakage is not a normal process it results from , using heat and burning the hair, using a fine comb which pulls and snaps the hair, or being rough with the hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you had mention that...I was afraid to say that since I was a napptural...
grin.gif

It's not lack of moisture all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
..if using alot of protein..it is
drunk.gif

~Napptural~

NAPPtural said:
emgurl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you had mention that...I was afraid to say that since I was a napptural...
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yuppers that me,, the girl who isnt afraid to say the truth..and whats on her mind

I'm beginning to regret I started this thread.
ohwell.gif

I don't think anyone is saying that breakage is the natural order of things. It's not. Though ends may split, a component of healthy hair care would be to trim those ends off before they split to the point where there is breakage. What I believe my cousin was saying is that with relaxed hair, because the hair has been weakened to some extent, some breakage is expected - it is not necesarily a desired effect (believe me). I moisturize my hair. I comb it gently. I wear satin caps. I still get breakage. Tracy, who has some of the healthiest hair I've ever seen, gets breakage. There was a rather lenghty thread from Armyqt about breakage. She has lovely hair, and she mentioned that the breakage was excessive - I don't recall her saying that she was concerned that she was getting breakage at all, but simply that it was excessive and it was a concern to her.

I don't mean to get loud, and if I'm misconstruing someone's tone or words, I apologize, but I don't like feeling as if I'm an idiot who doesn't understand her hair. At any rate, my original question was answered long ago, my breakage has dwindled (and yeah, I do STILL get some), and I'd forgotten all about this thread until it was brought back to the fore. So can we please let it sink again? Thanks.

OE

emgurl said:
NAPPtural said:
emgurl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yuppers that me,, the girl who isnt afraid to say the truth..and whats on her mind

[/ QUOTE ]

Here a little story..to what you had said...
I had spoke the truth before, and the whole thread got deleted. Wasn't harsh
spank.gif
just the truth...
rosebud.gif

The END.
angel.gif

I'm beginning to regret I started this thread.
ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't feel this way OnlyErin. You made a sincere post and there's nothing wrong with that.

And for everyone else, can we please leave the past where it belongs? Let's all move on and let it sink, like OnlyErin said.

Thank-You.

Only erin, please dont be sorry. I have found this thread extremely informative
smile.gif
I tend to lean toward the sentiments of both you and tracy.. since our hair is chemically treated we can sort of "expect" a degree of breakage, nothing major though. I think this is valid reasoning because if it were not, how come overprocessed hair WILL break and can be expected to? Simply because the degree of chemical alteration exceeded what was needed and makes the hair more prone to the slightest stresses of everyday combing.
I have truly learned a lot from this thread, dont regret your posts!

Re: What is "normal" breakage?

This is an old thread. Believe it or not before I went to the stylistwho messed up my hair, I went for months and months with NO breakage. Not a single hair.
I can't be the only relaxed head who ever expereinced zero breakage.

UmSumayyah said:
This is an old thread. Believe it or not before I went to the stylistwho messed up my hair, I went for months and months with NO breakage. Not a single hair.
I can't be the only relaxed head who ever expereinced zero breakage.

UmSumayyah, I don't get breakage - now. I did have a problem with it after my last touchup for some reason though .

After I treated the recent breakage I saw after that touchup, I have not been getting any breakage at all - not a hair. I do see some shedding though, but never the famous 50-100 hairs we hear about. Maybe a dozen or so hairs - unless they are shedding at times when I don't notice.

But, for the most part I now see a pattern with my hair. If I get a no-lye I see some breakage and need treatment (I think it drys my hair out). I get no breakage for weeks and weeks, but when I have a lot of new growth I can get a small amount breakage if I handle my hair too much or try to comb through the line of demarcation. But it is never massive amounts. If I get a lye relaxer I hardly ever see post-relaxer breakage.

This is what helps me get by as I grow my hair out. My lack of breakage is the only sign that helps me realize my length goals are realistic.

I have experienced zero breakage before. That was back when I was doing daily conditioner washes. I am sure I went close to a year with no breakage whatsoever. Man I need to go back to that!!

my ends break a lot after removing braids, i think my texturized ends are very dry out, no matter how much moisture i add they still break.

I think DSD said when she did CW she never got breakage, same here--throughout the summer I CW everyday, NEVER GOT BREAKAGE.

I've always had some breakage, including during the almost 10 years I was natural. I believe it comes with manipulation. I avoided it when I was natural by keeping my hair in styles like braids and twists that didn't require daily manipulation. If I wore my hair in ANY style requiring daily manipulation, including buns and puffs, I'd start getting breakage after a few days, even with lots of moisture.

I find the same to be true for my texlaxed hair. If I wear it loose, it can only be for a few days at a time. Daily buns aren't good for me, either. So, I'm trying to pretty much wear braids, or pin it up in styles that will stay untouched for a few days - like maybe a bun that's tight enough for me to wear a scarf and sleep on it without having to take it down every day.

So far, it doesn't look like the breakage is interfering with my growth, but I'm keeping a watchful eye.

IMHO, Breakage is not just a relaxed hair thing. Moisture is often a culprit, but even with enough moisture, too much manipulation may also cause breakage. The best thing is to try to balance out all three factors until you find what works for your hair.

HTH

i haven't had breakage in AGESSS usually i get alot nr the touchup, but i think because i've had rapid growth this month, that my hair thinks its nr touchup time.

so i've clarified (to get rid of the MNT buildup) and i'm on keracare for a while. my hair is very moisturized but when i do my combout i get a lil breakage, plus cuz its every 5 days i comb i was shocked - i personally think i'm back on the breakage alert, when i'm not bothered about breakage i get non, when i am alerted i see more. i think its mental. like when u imagin ur back is itching - it starts to itch.

there is theory behind this, mind over matter thing. i will try and find it, but i've noticed when i chillout things seems to cool down..

Back