What is glycerin and glycerin vs veg glycerin?

LongHairDreams

So, what is the difference? And is vegetable glycerin sticky?

I just found this info: Glycerin, What is it? "Glycerin is a natural byproduct of the soap making process. It is a humectant, which means it attracts moisture to your skin. Many major soap manufacturers remove the glycerin from their soaps to use in more expensive products, like creams and lotions. By using soaps containing glycerin, your skin will remain softer and not dry out.

Glycerin is a sweet-tasting colorless thick liquid. Glycerin can be dissolved in water or alcohol, but not oils. But many things can be dissolved into glycerin, so it is a good solvent. Glycerin absorbs water from the air. So 100% pure glycerin placed on the skin would be dehydrating, but when mixed with water, glycerin softens the skin. Some people say this softening is the result of the glycerin attracting moisture to your skin. But others say the glycerin has some other properties which are helpful to the skin. But either way, the bottom line is that glycerin does soften the skin."

But still, whats the diff between the two?

A member here turned me onto adding a few drops into my lotion!!! Talk about awesome! This is so wonderful, especially during winter! :yep: Very moisturizing.

I add a few drops into rosewater (got it from an Indian store) and it keeps my hair moisturized! A little bit every day works wonders.

Btw I use vegetable glycerin. One bottle has lasted me about a year and I'm just now below half a bottle. It's very good stuff.

I've definitly noticed a difference in how veggie glycerin and regular glycerin feel. The veggie feels a lot stickier. I love glycerin but I tend to be a little heavy handed with it.

The difference is that vegetable glycerin is derived from vegetables whereas regular glycerin is derived from animal fat. Regardless, both types do the same thing.

Back