What is an oil moisturizer?

leigh.hill

Okay, this may be a dumb question but I think my hair really does not "like" water-based moisturizers. I always have to add oil to them to get halfway decent results. So my question is...does an oil-based moisturizer exist (if so what oil-based moisturizer do you use) or when people say "I am using an oil moisturizer" are they referring to using actual oil to add moisture to their hair?

BTW - I have Elasta QP, ORS Carrot Oil (smells but okay), and Cantu Hair Strenthening. They are all just okay...second ingredient - water.

Last edited:
Use natural products: pure shea butter, extra virgin coconut oil, jojoba oil. Those are the besst moisturizers and you can mix or blend them for a creamy affect if you like. I don't like water based products either. I leave the top off of my Elasta QP mango butter a few days so the water dries out. It works like silk after that!

Thanks for the link to the Qhemet. I am READY to buy it RIGHT NOW! Price is great too!!!

I am relaxed.

I like the "shea butter" part of the cantu so I was thinking about buying shea butter today, but I put it back. Ugh.

I like that tip about the QP!!!!! THANKS LADIES!

Okay, I have been reading up on Qhemet Heavy Cream...LOTS of good reviews! Then I realized that I actually had a moisturizer with oil as the first ingredient: Carol's Daughter Marguerite's Magic - a $16.50 disappointment!!!!!!!! Please tell me there are better (and cheaper) products out there....

The Qhemet Heavy Cream is definitely what I would call an oil moisturizer when i got a sample it was so thick and nothing like a water based moisturizer. I personally don't like it because I like cream water based moisturizers like ORS Carrot Oil, which I really like because of the creamy consistency.

I know exactly what you mean. My hair does not respond well to moisturizers that water based. They just don't do anything for me. I think you would like Shescentit Jojoba hair milk. It goes on like a cream but then it melts and gives hair nice softness and shine. I don't have to seal with oil after using it. Two thumbs up!
http://www.shescentit.com/jojobahairmilk.html

Use natural products: pure shea butter, extra virgin coconut oil, jojoba oil. Those are the besst moisturizers and you can mix or blend them for a creamy affect if you like. I don't like water based products either. I leave the top off of my Elasta QP mango butter a few days so the water dries out. It works like silk after that!
WOW, your hair is so gorgeous!:blush:

Thanks for the link to the Qhemet. I am READY to buy it RIGHT NOW! Price is great too!!!

I am relaxed.

I like the "shea butter" part of the cantu so I was thinking about buying shea butter today, but I put it back. Ugh.

Some products don't work as great with relaxed hair. Shea butter weighed my relaxed hair down. I have no idea what it will do when I go natural.

I know exactly what you mean. My hair does not respond well to moisturizers that water based. They just don't do anything for me. I think you would like Shescentit Jojoba hair milk. It goes on like a cream but then it melts and gives hair nice softness and shine. I don't have to seal with oil after using it. Two thumbs up!
http://www.shescentit.com/jojobahairmilk.html

LB what is the consistency of the hair milk? Is it creamy or more watery?

I am relaxed.

Yeah, you will need to stir the QP after the first day; then let it curd up some more and stir again on each of the following days until all of the water has dried out of the product. It will resemble the texture of chunky butter-- or maybe even similar to shea butter once it's ready. QP's new Mango butter formula has alot more water than the first version of the product (how ridiculous!). I used to be able to dry it out in one day. Now it takes at least half the week! Take a dab & Melt it in your hands to apply it.

WOW, your hair is so gorgeous!:blush:

Thanks, u too!

I have been "drying out" the QP and I am stirring. Thanks again for the tip.

LB - You got me wanting to RUN out and buy the Jojoba Milk. Even though "de-ionized water" is the first ingredient (whatever that means) it is followed by a million oils:

De-Ionized Water,Jojoba oil, Shea Butter, Avocado oil, Hemp Seed Oil, Coconut oil, Grape Seed Oil, Prunus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Sunflower Seed Oil, Emulsifying Wax NF, Vegetable Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe) Leaf Juice, Honey, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Wheat Germ Oil, Tocopherol (Vitamin E),Silk Amino Acids, Japanese Green Tea Leaf Extract, Cetyl Alchol ,Panthenol, Glyceryl Monostearate, Disodium EDTA, Germall plus.

I have been "drying out" the QP and I am stirring. Thanks again for the tip.

LB - You got me wanting to RUN out and buy the Jojoba Milk. Even though "de-ionized water" is the first ingredient (whatever that means) it is followed by a million oils:

De-Ionized Water,Jojoba oil, Shea Butter, Avocado oil, Hemp Seed Oil, Coconut oil, Grape Seed Oil, Prunus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Sunflower Seed Oil, Emulsifying Wax NF, Vegetable Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe) Leaf Juice, Honey, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Wheat Germ Oil, Tocopherol (Vitamin E),Silk Amino Acids, Japanese Green Tea Leaf Extract, Cetyl Alchol ,Panthenol, Glyceryl Monostearate, Disodium EDTA, Germall plus.

Did you try it? After I clear out my PJ/experimental stash this product will be the only moisturizer I use.

Back