What is a protective hairstyle?

Michelle79

I keep seeing this on the board & I finally got up enough courage to ask exactly what is it? If someone could please explain it to me or post a link to a thread that covers this, I will greatly appreciate it!

Thanks
wink.gif

Hi Mikki
wave.gif

I first encountered this concept on Wanakee's old website. According to her definition, a protective style is one that protects the ends of your hair so they are not exposed to the air, because her theory was that the air dries them out. By keeping the ends moisturized and protected, a person can avoid having hair constantly break. Many people thought their hair didn't grow because it would break off as quickly as it was growing. For those who color or relax, you know your hair is growing every time you need a touch up. The protective styles allow you to retain the length you already have by reducing breakage, while the new growth adds to the length, giving you visible growth. (I hope that made sense.
tongue.gif
) A bun, a french twist, bantu knots are examples of protective styles.

Thank you so much Nyambura!

So would a ponytail thats tucked in a knot be considered a protective hairstyle??

You're welcome, Mikki! If you wear a ponytail tucked in a knot, as long as your ends are not exposed, it's considered a protective style.
smile.gif
I applaud you on your creativity because I'm on the bun challenge and some days the bun gets a little tired.
laugh.gif
Oh~! And don't forget to moisturize those ends before you tuck them away!
smile.gif

Mikki,

I am in the same boat.. I had no clue about what a protective style was... I soooo wish I could wear a bun. I just don't think I have the face for it... I am looking for the directions on braidouts.. I want to try that this weekend. I think this will be the best for me.. Good luck on your bun challenge.

Andrea

Back