What is a good setting lotion?

alona

I have been using Lottabody, the concentrated and the ready to use versions for the last 8 years or so and had no problems. I noticed that for the past year when I rollerset, my hair will not hold curls. I purchased a brand new bottle of Lottabody just to see if the bottle that I was using was too old. My curls didn't last overnight. (I sleep on a satin pillow case).

I guess my hair will not work with Lottabody. My hair is thin, soft,and fine. I currently use Gentle Treatment relaxer, Carol's Daughters' Healthy Hair butter, and Infusium Shampoo/Leave-in conditioner, Queen Helen Deep conditioner and Queen Helen Ginseng conditioner. I don't use these all at once but these are my products.

Any suggestions for a setting lotion (or tips) that would compliment these products and to make my curls hold?

TIA

Does your hair like the Infusium Leave-in Conditioner and have you always used it? I ask only because I know it has a higher protein content and it may affect the hold of your setting lotion.

Also, many of the ladies here either pincurl their hair or do a mohawk rollerset at night to make those curls last a week or longer.

I'm not sure if my hair really likes the leave-in or not. I started using it when I was natural and just continued using it (for almost a year). That may explain why I haven't been able to hold curls. I heard that fine textured hair doesn't handle a lot of protein. Is that true?

I'll try laying off the infusium products when I wash may hair again just to see if there is a difference because Lottabody should still work for me.

I'll also try the rollerset technique. THANKS FOR THE ADVICE:)

alona said:
I'm not sure if my hair really likes the leave-in or not. I started using it when I was natural and just continued using it (for almost a year). That may explain why I haven't been able to hold curls. I heard that fine textured hair doesn't handle a lot of protein. Is that true?

I'll try laying off the infusium products when I wash may hair again just to see if there is a difference because Lottabody should still work for me.

I'll also try the rollerset technique. THANKS FOR THE ADVICE:)
You're welcome Alona! :)
ETA:
Some of the other ladies here may have some helpful advice too about setting lotions...

Last edited:
I love Lottabody. Which formula did you get, the ready to use? I prefer that one over the concentrate that you have to mix. Hope you like it!

Ultrasheen setting lotion is very good. I just discovered this a few months ago. I dilute it 50/50 with water. It gives a firm soft set, not hard or crunchy. Works much brtter for me than Lottabody.

I have always found lottabody to concentrated. I would always mix a small amount of it with water in a spray body. Full strenght it gives you crunchy curls. At least that is how it turned out when I used it full strenght. It is good though. I haven't used it in years. I just use mousse.

I have fine hair and I still use lottabody. However, I've also found that I like mousse a little better. When used in the correct amount, it makes my hair light and bouncy with a lot of fullness and hold. The brand I like is polish 'n shine because it's made for relaxed hair. It also gives me a nice shine to my hair.

Back