What I Learned About Prayer (kind of long)

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
As I've grown older and wiser :D and more spiritually mature, I've become hesitant to ask God for things that I KNOW I can achieve in my own strength/with my own qualifications, etc. Know what I mean? It's not that I was being cocky or anything, but more or less saying to myself if I KNOW I can do it, but I still pray about it--is it really God or is it me doing it.

So if anyone remembers from the OT board, I posted that I wanted a VW Jetta. Well, I knew that I had great credit (a blessing and testimony within itself!) and that I could afford the payments. But I knew that hubby and I were going car shopping on Saturday and so I decided to pray about it Friday night. On Saturday, my hubby and I prayed before we left and I also continued to pray in my heart as the sales rep. went back and forth to his manager negotiating our deal.

Here's one of the key things I learned about prayer, even if you CAN do it, pray about it anyway because God can do it BETTER! Hallelujah!

If I don't pray about it and I do it, there's not anything really wrong with that I suppose. But then my blessing is a natural blessing. But if I pray about it and let God handle it, then it's a spiritual blessing, which is better for obvious reasons. This also helps us to make sure we're moving in God's timing too I believe.

So here's where I saw God's hand yesterday in this process. By the way, it's a car and I'm not materialistic nor do I expect God just to be my sugar daddy, but He taught me a great deal in this. Anyway:

*My brother (who was in car sales for about 10 years) couldn't go with us yesterday, and I'm kind of glad he didn't, because I didn't want my husband to feel as if I needed a man besides him to be there. But my sweetie is just not one of those men that is good at negotiating car deals and such. So before we left, my brother coached me on what to do and made me go back over it with him to make sure I understood. He basically said I was going to have to negotiate 3 areas: the trade, the selling price of the new car, and the finance rate.

*We got to the dealership and I see an Asian guy staring at us with an almost annoyed expression on his face. I tell my hubby I hope he isn't our sales rep. At that time the guy walked right on over! But he turned out to be the best. I shouldn't have prejudged him and his annoyed expression. Maybe he was just tired.

*ALL of the negotiations went well--even better than what my brother told me to aim for. I was able to do what he told me to do without sounding scripted and my hubby continued to tell me how proud of me he was and what a great job I was doing. I did pretty much all the talking with boo throwing in a few questions here and there.

*When we got to the finance office, I figured they would really try to jack me since we'd gotten such good deals with the trade in and the car price. But NO--we didn't even have to do any negotiating in the finance office. We were given a 4.9% rate right up front with no catches! The monthly payments ended up at well below what I expected.

*The gorgeous Richard Gere type finance manager with lovely gray eyes had on a ring that I mistook for a UT ring (my alma mater). I was going to make small talk with him about UT, but it wasn't a UT ring. He said he actually did go to UT, but that his ring was an Alpha Omega ring. I said "Alpha Omega as in...?" He jumped in and said he was a Christian! My husband and I were so excited. I mean the man could've been a Christian without that ring or I could've never asked him about the ring, but it was like God wanted us to see that He was in our corner. We walked out with a monthly payment even lower than what he told us it would be when we walked into the finance office. (which was already excellent)

God helped me to do all the things I couldn't do pertaining to this new car thing and He did exceeding abundantly on the parts I could do... because I prayed. :)

May someone be inspired by this in Jesus' name.

Last edited:
Wow. That was a great testimony. But even more than that, I loved your message of prayer and faith.

Thanks!!!

Supergirl said:
As I've grown older and wiser :D and more spiritually mature, I've become hesitant to ask God for things that I KNOW I can achieve in my own strength/with my own qualifications, etc. Know what I mean? It's not that I was being cocky or anything, but more or less saying to myself if I KNOW I can do it, but I still pray about it--is it really God or is it me doing it.

So if anyone remembers from the OT board, I posted that I wanted a VW Jetta. Well, I knew that I had great credit (a blessing and testimony within itself!) and that I could afford the payments. But I knew that hubby and I were going car shopping on Saturday and so I decided to pray about it Friday night. On Saturday, my hubby and I prayed before we left and I also continued to pray in my heart as the sales rep. went back and forth to his manager negotiating our deal.

Here's one of the key things I learned about prayer, even if you CAN do it, pray about it anyway because God can do it BETTER! Hallelujah!

If I don't pray about it and I do it, there's not anything really wrong with that I suppose. But then my blessing is a natural blessing. But if I pray about it and let God handle it, then it's a spiritual blessing, which is better for obvious reasons. This also helps us to make sure we're moving in God's timing too I believe.

So here's where I saw God's hand yesterday in this process. By the way, it's a car and I'm not materialistic nor do I expect God just to be my sugar daddy, but He taught me a great deal in this. Anyway:

*My brother (who was in car sales for about 10 years) couldn't go with us yesterday, and I'm kind of glad he didn't, because I didn't want my husband to feel as if I needed a man besides him to be there. But my sweetie is just not one of those men that is good at negotiating car deals and such. So before we left, my brother coached me on what to do and made me go back over it with him to make sure I understood. He basically said I was going to have to negotiate 3 areas: the trade, the selling price of the new car, and the finance rate.

*We got to the dealership and I see an Asian guy staring at us with an almost annoyed expression on his face. I tell my hubby I hope he isn't our sales rep. At that time the guy walked right on over! But he turned out to be the best. I shouldn't have prejudged him and his annoyed expression. Maybe he was just tired.

*ALL of the negotiations went well--even better than what my brother told me to aim for. I was able to do what he told me to do without sounding scripted and my hubby continued to tell me how proud of me he was and what a great job I was doing. I did pretty much all the talking with boo throwing in a few questions here and there.

*When we got to the finance office, I figured they would really try to jack me since we'd gotten such good deals with the trade in and the car price. But NO--we didn't even have to do any negotiating in the finance office. We were given a 4.9% rate right up front with no catches! The monthly payments ended up at well below what I expected.

*The gorgeous Richard Gere type finance manager with lovely gray eyes had on a ring that I mistook for a UT ring (my alma mater). I was going to make small talk with him about UT, but it wasn't a UT ring. He said he actually did go to UT, but that his ring was an Alpha Omega ring. I said "Alpha Omega as in...?" He jumped in and said he was a Christian! My husband and I were so excited. I mean the man could've been a Christian without that ring or I could've never asked him about the ring, but it was like God wanted us to see that He was in our corner. We walked out with a monthly payment even lower than what he told us it would be when we walked into the finance office. (which was already excellent)

God helped me to do all the things I couldn't do pertaining to this new car thing and He did exceeding abundantly on the parts I could do... because I prayed. :)

I was very inspired by this. Thanks for sharing.

Supergirl said:

:lachen: :lachen: That was really funny! But yes I do understand what you mean. The same thing happened to me some years ago when I prayed for a Honda that I wanted. I prayed for the exact details that I wanted in the car and I ended up getting a great apr and everything. So although God gives you freewill choice to do what you want, He has a hand in everything we do and is already working on the other side and has it worked out, while we are trying to figure it out. We only think we can do it on our own. Thank you for sharing your story!:)

I have to watch out for this. I sometimes have an independent spirit when it comes to my life. I have had to do so much by myself, but the truth is...I have always had God right by myside, helping me make decisions and blessing me all along. I felt alone, but I was never truly by myself. I try to depend on God for every little thing...but sometimes I fall short. I don't want to be independent of Him, because through him all blessings flow. So I'm going to work on relying completely on Him, through good times and bad. I'm going to remember who gave me this spirit I have to begin with.

lana said:
I have to watch out for this. I sometimes have an independent spirit when it comes to my life. I have had to do so much by myself, but the truth is...I have always had God right by myside, helping me make decisions and blessing me all along. I felt alone, but I was never truly by myself. I try to depend on God for every little thing...but sometimes I fall short. I don't want to be independent of Him, because through him all blessings flow. So I'm going to work on relying completely on Him, through good times and bad. I'm going to remember who gave me this spirit I have to begin with.

I too have an independent spirit. I am struggling with that right now, however I really have to work on it when it comes to my dh. Because I was a single mother for so long I am use to making decisons on my own and now I have to wait on the Lord and my dh. Right now I am so ready to try to get a house and I know what I would do but I have to wait on my dh to do it as he is the head. The funny thing is that I know by me being patient and obedient to the Lord and willing to follow my dh I will get the house that God has for us and not just any old thing. But it can be difficult at times to be patient and obedient and not have that I can do it spirit

Wonderful Testimony! Thank you for posting it. I too struggle at times with pursuing my own desires and not totally surrendering things to God in prayer. It's difficult at times but God's way is always the best way! Enjoy your new ride girl! :grin:

I really like that. Thanks for sharing. I do sometimes feel like I shouldn't waste God's time by praying for some things but you're right - HE can do better. :)

Yes. Our God is an AWESOME God. Wonderful testimony - a real blessing to me as I am waiting on the Lord's leading regarding buying a car. Thank you for sharing and encouraging at the same time. :yep:

Back