What I Found Out About Tangling/Matting/Knots

LocksOfLuV

I relaxed last night and I keep thinking how this info may help someone's hair out, so I wanted to share.

Okay, so anyone who knows me know that I spent the last 6 mos of my life trying to find the answer to matting/tangling. I wanted to sucessfully stretch, and I even gave it up since the last time I did stretch my hair was so matted that I lost a golf-ball size of hair. I literally found dreads in my hair on relaxer day.:eek: I had sworn off stretching and I honestly thought my hair was too 'nappy' to stretch and that since I was a 4a/b I couldn't do it. For some reason I never thought to think that there are hundreds of naturals on this website that retain length and don't have a big problem with matting/tangling. But still I searched for that magic product, not knowing it was really a very simple technique that could have saved me a lot of hair.

Anyways, one day a thought came to me. That maybe my Jilbere shower comb wasn't cutting it like I thought it was. For a while I was using the Jilbere exclusively. So I went to Krogers and got a smaller toothed detangling comb ( Goody So gelous detangling comb). I then developed a new routine. Instead of using the jilbere exclusively, I would comb my hair in the shower with my Jilbere, get out, add my leave in and such comb again with my jilbere (to free any tangles that may have happened while I was applying my leave-ins), then break my hair down in sections and get the smaller tangles out with my smaller detangling comb.

13 weeks later (I relaxed) and not ONE dread/matt!:eek: Throughout the course of this stretch I realized;
1. my natural hair is not this tangly beast as I thought it was- it was that I was not properly getting all the shedding hairs and tangles out, which would deposit in my newgrowth which made it hard to comb.
2. that you have to get ALL the shedded hair, especially if you are a non-daily-comber like me. It hurts to see all those shedded hairs on wash days but it gots to be done. This was very crucial for me.
and
3. That the jilbere is a good comb, but it does not get out every single knot since the teeth are so wide. Over time these knots will build and turn into dreads/bigger knots/matting. I learned this the hard way :perplexed .

I just wanted to tell you ladies that because a while back I had sworn off stretching thinking that I couldn't do it. I very much could have waited a few more weeks stretching but aesthetically I couldn't do it. One to two inches of new-growth with bonestraight ends is not my forte lol.

Simply put, if you are dealing with matts/tangles, find a smaller toothed detangling comb to follow after the Jilbere and get those shedded hairs outta that newgrowth.

LocksOfLuV said:
Simply put, if you are dealing with matts/tangles, find a smaller toothed detangling comb to follow after the Jilbere and get those shedded hairs outta that newgrowth.

Excellent advice!!! Thanks for sharing this story and advice with us! I know it will help many, including myself!

Thanks for the advice Miz. I'll keep this in mind as I am stretching right now. Did you have any snagging with the Goody comb since it's a smaller tooth comb?

KiniKakes said:
Excellent advice!!! Thanks for sharing this story and advice with us! I know it will help many, including myself!

You welc girl. I was so happy that when I relaxed yesterday that I couldn't keep this to myself!

this post is so on time. i'm stretching too, on my 9 week, and i found a dread as well! :eek: it was in my nape and i had to cut it out.

i was also using a wide tooth comb to detangle. i'm going to try your method next wash, which will be tomorrow.

THANKS!:)

LocksOfLuV said:

I cosign this 100%!!!!

I use 3 different combs to detangle my hair on wash days. Big claw like comb for major tangles, a really long-toothed, medium comb for really cutting through the newgrowth, then a finer toothed to finish.

buttaflye03 said:
Thanks for the advice Miz. I'll keep this in mind as I am stretching right now. Did you have any snagging with the Goody comb since it's a smaller tooth comb?

Nah. See the comb that I got is a small detangling comb. Not just one of those small toothed combs. It glides really smooth. That only time it snags is when i forget how long my hair is and I try to release the comb out of my hair too fast. Here is a pic:
editors-picks2.jpg

Just know when you detangle with a smaller comb, seamless or not, it's best to comb in sections.

Sistaslick said:
I cosign this 100%!!!!

I use 3 different combs to detangle my hair on wash days. Big claw like comb for major tangles, a really long toothed comb for really cutting through the newgrowth, then a finer toothed to finish.

See, I may need to pic up a 3 one too. Thanks Sista!:)

Yep! And my favorite one now is the middle comb. It's like the middle comb's long teeth removes the shed hairs perfectly w/o letting them get caught on the length. Lifts those hairs right out! It really "cuts into the hair" and get "deep" too-- perfect during a stretch.

I didn't realize it until someone broke it down, but I to have 3 sized combs...I remove the bad tangles with my fingers, then I use the huge spaced tooth comb, them a smaller one...The fine tooth I only use sometimes

Also I think its worth noting that everyone can't do everything thats mentioned or others do...I know I can't stretch without hair breakage. My hair gets easily tangled even right after a perm. So by wk 6 it's a hott mess. By week 8, it's a wrap. Lol thats my stretch lol.

My pt is, there is someone here who may realize, even with using 4 combs, they can not stretch alot or at all. They may have to just lessen the time when the perm stays on, as another texlaxing tool.

Good advice.
I do what thicknlong does (with the 3 combs).
I used to just fingercomb, then I realised my hair was actually still really tangled.

Sistaslick said:
Yep! And my favorite one now is the middle comb. It's like the middle comb's long teeth removes the shed hairs perfectly w/o letting them get caught on the length. Lifts those hairs right out! It really "cuts into the hair" and get "deep" too-- perfect during a stretch.

What's the name of this comb?

Sistaslick said:
I cosign this 100%!!!!

I use 3 different combs to detangle my hair on wash days. Big claw like comb for major tangles, a really long-toothed, medium comb for really cutting through the newgrowth, then a finer toothed to finish.

YUP! :yep: That's me too! I never wanted to say so b/c I know how much it is a non-no here but I HAVE to do this.

LocksofLuv, looks like you had the same problem I had when stretching. I remember posting threads about my dreads and thought I was the only one. My jilbere is literally sitting in the back of my room, on the floor, under a night stand, with it's hook around the heater. I haven't touched that bad boy since I realized it was doing nothing for my shed hairs. I now use all of the different sized bone combs I bought. LOVE 'EM!!

I finally figured out what my problems were too and posted them in another thread not too long ago . It's been working so well for me, I just might consider stretching again. But I'm still traumatized by my last stretch. :lol: I have not had ONE dread, matt or tangle. *thank God*

:D

Last edited:
thicknlong said:
I didn't realize it until someone broke it down, but I to have 3 sized combs...I remove the bad tangles with my fingers, then I use the huge spaced tooth comb, them a smaller one...The fine tooth I only use sometimes

Also I think its worth noting that everyone can't do everything thats mentioned or others do...I know I can't stretch without hair breakage. My hair gets easily tangled even right after a perm. So by wk 6 it's a hott mess. By week 8, it's a wrap. Lol thats my stretch lol.

My pt is, there is someone here who may realize, even with using 4 combs, they can not stretch alot or at all. They may have to just lessen the time when the perm stays on, as another texlaxing tool.

You ain't never lied!!

secretdiamond said:
YUP! :yep: That's me too! I never wanted to say so b/c I know how much it is a non-no here but I HAVE to do this.

LocksofLuv, looks like you had the same problem I had when stretching. I remember posting threads about my dreads and thought I was the only one. My jilbere is literally sitting in the back of my room, on the floor, under a night stand, with it's hook around the heater. I haven't touched that bad boy since I realized it was doing nothing fo rmy shed hairs. I now use all of the different sized bone combs I bought. LOVE 'EM!!

I finally figured out what my problems were too and posted them in another thread not too long ago . It's been working so well for me, I just might consider stretching again. But I'm still traumatized by my last stretch. :lol: I have not had ONE dread, matt or tangle. *thank God*

:D

Doesn't it feel good. Them dreads aren't no punk! I hate them!

LocksOfLuV said:
Doesn't it feel good. Them dreads aren't no punk! I hate them!

You better believe it does! :lol: I don't mess around with detangling now! I make sure I stay on top of it and get those suckers out before they try to mess with me! :lol:

Does the matting/dreading happen when you've been stretching for more than a certain number of weeks? Or when your hair gets to a certain length?

That is very helpful, LocksofLuV. I guess sometimes it's hard to get over the fact that the shedded hair needs to be combed out. I will try your method. Thanks!!!!!:)

Yep, yep! It took me quiiiiite awhile to figure out that my hair needed to be detangled with more than just a wide spaced comb :cool:... I agree with Divine Inspiration that the Mebco comb is great for detangling, although a Jilbere will do the job too. A good comb to follow up with that doesn't snag and is easy on the wallet is this brand Walmart makes that's called either the Detangling Comb or the Shower comb, it comes in different colors and is marketed for being used on wet hair. But you always just file any smaller comb down to make it seamless.

Thank you for sharing! This is extremely helpful. I only have one widetooth comb and I recall having a hell of a time detangling my hair about 3 weeks ago. I only comb my hair on wash day (once a week) so now I know I need to get a detangling comb so I don't have drama when I relax my hair.

I think Mebco is better than Jilbere. The Jilbere always seems to pull lots of hair out even though the teeth are wider than my Mebco. Go figure eh.

Last edited:
That's some awesome advice! I love your hair btw!!!! :weird:

I detangle my hair with my jilbere comb before I get in the shower... I even section it in four parts (to keep hair from tangling so much, and also to prevent putting conditioner on my scalp). And just like you, I detangle with the jilbere while washing the conditioner out. I have several types of combs that I use, depending on the hair style that I want. That really helps me!

Back