What have I done

Naturefreegirl

I am a newbie so please help.

As I mention before that I have been co-washing and doing my hair myself, so I have jsut been doing twisting it at night and airdry while I sleep when I get up in the morning it would be curly. I did this for about two months straight.

last week I was going to my girlfirnds wedding shower I decided to get a wash and set. After my hair dried and she blow dried it also she was just shaking her head, saying what have I done with my hair, she told me that my hair was extremely dry and that my ends were open. I notice that my hair did grow, but of course she wanted to give me another cut, at this point I was very frustated :wallbash::wallbash:. So after all of this I finally agreed to to just cut of the split ends, about 6 months ago I did the bc and I colored it so after all that hard work and time spent whay would i go and cut everything of again (part of me felt like she was just saying that to get me to come back on a regular basis like I use to)

So my question to you ladies is does the airdrying really hurts the hair, and after co washing and mosterizing is it possible for the hair to still be dry like that, please help

From what it sounds like to me....you just need to clarify and do a protein treatment.

Co washing is great but what were you using. I cowash alot too but you have to clarify periodically otherwise you can get buildup that can dry your hair out. Also, you colored your hair so you might also need some protein. Protein keeps your hair stong and it helps your hair stay moisturized. Protein helps your hair hold on to moisture so if you don't have enough protein, no amount of moisturizer will help. Its all about keeping your protein and moisture levels balanced. Do a search for protein and moisture balance and you should find alot of threads about it.

Don't get too down about it :sneakhug: This hair thing, especially in the beginning is all about learning by reading and by trial and error. We all have a couple of bumps along the road.

No help to offer, but this happened to me too.

Two years of being natural and wearing a puff, wreaked havoc on my ends. Then after I relaxed my hair, wearing braidouts and twistouts had the same effect. I spent a year trimming off the damage. I finally finished trimming in December only to learn another lesson about wrapping the hair at nite. SMH

I put braids in a month ago when it started to fall on the shoulders. It's one struggle (lesson) after another.

From what it sounds like to me....you just need to clarify and do a protein treatment.

Co washing is great but what were you using. I cowash alot too but you have to clarify periodically otherwise you can get buildup that can dry your hair out. Also, you colored your hair so you might also need some protein. Protein keeps your hair stong and it helps your hair stay moisturized. Protein helps your hair hold on to moisture so if you don't have enough protein, no amount of moisturizer will help. Its all about keeping your protein and moisture levels balanced. Do a search for protein and moisture balance and you should find alot of threads about it.

Don't get too down about it :sneakhug: This hair thing, especially in the beginning is all about learning by reading and by trial and error. We all have a couple of bumps along the road.

But I do the clarify shampoo at least every other week, as far as cowashing I alternate, VO5 , Tresemme, Patene,

But I do the clarify shampoo at least every other week, as far as cowashing I alternate, VO5 , Tresemme, Patene,

Okay, so you didn't have build up, thats good. It still looks as thoughyou might need some protein. Try something like the ORS replenishing pack for a treatment that will give you protein and moisture.

what do you use to moisturize and seal?

I know if I don't moisturize while my hair is damp and seal with an oil, my ends can feel kind of rough when it air dries

Thanks ladies, but one more question, how about the air drying is that a harmful also?

Air drying sometimes causes problems for people because your cuticle doesn't dry flat so when you touch your hair afterwards, it can feel rough. This is also why some people get breakage with air drying. I personally only air dry when I know I don't have to touch it again until I wash it again or I rollerset and air dry it on the rollers with will help the cuticle lay flat. I also don't sleep on wet hair.

IMO I would not of let my stylist trim/cut it. Did you feel it was damaged? Are you making sure that you deep condition at least once a week, and more if your ends are fragile. Sorry this happened to you.

i would not have let her cut it i would have said **** keep it moving, stand up for urself!!!!:grin: i have heard that relaxed hair should not be kept wet meaning just letting it airdry..... but i really dont believe that jus make sure u use a leave in and seal your ends and know your moisture protein balance

IMO air drying does not cause any damage nor does cowashing! it doesn't sound to me like you had any damage... If you yourself didn't notice it then I cant see how someone else could. She probably just wanted to cut your hair because it was longer then it was b4... I dont know, it just does not sound right to me. I wouldn't have let her do it.

I ALWAYS air dry and I don't have any problems with breakage. I moisturize my hair, seal with coconut oil, lightly twist, put on my bonnet and go to sleep. I haven't used heat on my hair for 2 years and I haven't had any problems.

IMO air drying does not cause any damage nor does cowashing! it doesn't sound to me like you had any damage... If you yourself didn't notice it then I cant see how someone else could. She probably just wanted to cut your hair because it was longer then it was b4... I dont know, it just does not sound right to me. I wouldn't have let her do it.

ITA. It sounds like you were very pleased with your progress and had a nice routine going. You probably would have needed a trim or cut eventually but for the time-being you did not. This is one of the reasons I have not gone to get my hair professionally flat-ironed, I am in the process of growing my hair out, if someone was trying to flatiron and style my hair it would drive them nuts to not cut it because it is not cut in a cute style and the ends would probably be a little frizzy. I would go from shoulder to neck-length with a quickness and I would be so upset.

Try not to fret too much though, just go back to doing what you were doing and your hair will grow back quickly.

Back