What has this board done for you lately?

Oh Mahalialee you got me a blushin girl /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the congrats. I don't measure to the inch or the centimetre as I find that discouraging. I just use body areas as points of reference. I think I'm just under the 4 inch mark before I'm grazing the first part of my bra strap. I'm a tall girl so it's a longer way for me to go.

I am so thankful for this board. This board has provided me with wonderful advice for growing my hair long and great advice regarding personal issues. Prior to discovering this board I believed washing the hair and rinsing it too much was a taboo. I also had a very poor diet and I didn't take vitamins to supplement the proper nutrients I was wasn't getting. I believe this played a major part in why I was unable to grow healthy long hair. Adding vitamins has not only helped my hair, but I feel much better. Fast forward 7 months later my hair in the back is about 2-3 inches from being midback and another 3 inches from brastrap. The vitamins have also helped eliminate the slowing down of the growth process during winter months. I can't gauge how fast it's growing because I wear braid extensions on natural hair and I get alot of shrinkage. However, I do know it's growing so fast that the other day I checked the length and it was visibly longer than it was 2 weeks ago . At first my concern was growing my hair to my brastrap, but now I feel even if it never reaches brastrap at least it's healthy. Maybe I feel that way now because I know it won't be a problem for me to reach brastrap.

This board has helped me realize alot of things. Not only hair care, but overall health tips. Also I now know more about my hair than i've ever known. Thanks! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ya'll wanna be here a while dont u?? coz the things i've learnt from hair boards is so much!! b4 joinin hair boards ngaa had no hair care info and since joinin LHCF and other groups like blackhaircareandbody and others i've learnt a lot and its made me realise that
-water dont dry yo hair hair out
-moisture is key in retainin length
-protective styles reduce amount of moisture lost by hair
-there is no miracle product that 'makes' yo hair hair grow more but its consistancy of good products
-what works for one person dont nercessarily work for you coz pple's hair's different jus like pple themselves are different
-my hair dont complain wen moisturisin conditioners are used in excess but it WILL break if protein conditioners are used in excess
-i'd rather have healthy short hair than hold on to long raggedy ends wit no life

ngaa /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

I'm an avid recycler.. but I think this board has given me reason to no longer toss out all those body butter jars! I'm now saving them, to mix conditioners, oils etc., and to try new recipes. Those jars (I have 2 empty ones so far) are handy, 'cause they're see through. I can peel off the commercial label and put on my own so I can know what's what...

Thanks to the board I am now the owner of a noticeably thicker head of hair. The suggestions of protective hairstyles and drawstring ponytails have prevented me from twirling and pulling at my hair (bad habit).

Most of all - I have gained such positive vibes from all the ladies here. Even when we disagree we are nice and not too big too say "I'm sorry" or "I respectfully disagree" and move on. I have been a lurker at many hairboards, but this is the only one where naturals and relaxed get along. Hair type 2's, 3's, and 4's respect each other and learn from each other. And how can I forget the ladies (and guys) from different racial and ethnic backgrounds that we have learned from? Just being able to "talk" to you all has been such a positive experience. WOW! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

This board has been an eye-opener for me. I was lazy and careless with my hair - blowdrying every wk. I learned to air-dry my hair and get excellent results. I always thought that my hair was too textured to dry it straight. I was wrong! /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif I also appreciate the tips for shampooing and relaxing. Adding olive oil (Caramela) to the relaxer base was a genius tip and adding oils to conditioners. I never would have thought. I've also received many reco's on some good shampoos, conditioners and of course the beloved S-curl moisturizer. Thanks everybody. I am so appreciative.

The forum has recently educated me on good recipes to make my own products and sites where I can buy products cheaper...definately a good thing for me since I spend so much money on my hair.. I can use some savings. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The most important thing this board (in all of its various incarnations) has done for me in general is that it got me to stop wishing I had someone elses hair.
I used to walk around noticing people's hair and be like "I wish I had hair like that, or I wish I had her hair." The women on this board taught me to see how beautiful MY hair can be. Now when I see people whose hair I admire I'm all "Man, that's pretty cool, I wonder if my hair can do that. or I wonder how that style would look on my hair."
I think the hair self esteem factor is the most important thing this site has done for me not just lately but for the rest of my life.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
notsomebody said:
The most important thing this board (in all of its various incarnations) has done for me in general is that it got me to stop wishing I had someone elses hair.
I used to walk around noticing people's hair and be like "I wish I had hair like that, or I wish I had her hair.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well said, notsomebody, well said /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The board has
[*] Helped me develop a routine I can stick too
[*] Made me realize that blowdrying and heat styling my hair was my biggest downfall
[*] Helped me learn about great new products (Elucence)
[*] Given me a support group of women who care about my hair growth &amp; won't hate
[*] Given me real life hair inspirations instead of someone on tv or in a mag. who's hair prob. isn't even theirs
[*] Inspired me not to care if someone thinks my hair habits are strange /images/graemlins/nuts.gif

Thanks LHCF!!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Notsomebody

I definitely have to agree with you there. I admire their hair now rather than wish for it. Because I realise I myself can achieve similar (of course not the exact same texture, hair type) but it can grow LONG &amp; HEALTHY. I make my hair look the best I can, so I always feels good about it. The better it looks, the better I feel and when you feel good about your hair you're less inclined to want what somebody else has.

i love the off topic board, the variety of topics and opinions, the controversy at times. we laugh, we cry and share advice. some people here are way too too funny!! i love this board!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
ms_kenesha said:
The board has
[*] Helped me develop a routine I can stick too
[*] Made me realize that blowdrying and heat styling my hair was my biggest downfall
[*] Helped me learn about great new products (Elucence)
[*] Given me a support group of women who care about my hair growth &amp; won't hate
[*] Given me real life hair inspirations instead of someone on tv or in a mag. who's hair prob. isn't even theirs
[*] Inspired me not to care if someone thinks my hair habits are strange /images/graemlins/nuts.gif

Thanks LHCF!!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
In your words, this board has done the same exact thing for me..

I am VERY Happy I found this board, it came at a time when I moved to Virginia and didnt know a great place to go to and get my hair done so I took it upon myself to start learning. This board taught me how to roller set my hair, the difference between shedding and breakage, and creating an overall regime to attain healty hair!

Thank you everyone for all of your kind words, answering my questions and the great atmosphere! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Did I say I LOVE THIS BOARD!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

i HAVE LEARNED A GREAT DEAL OF INFO PERTAINING TO TREATING DAMAGED HAIR. i HAVE LEARNED WHAT SUPPLEMENTS HELP TO CONTROL HAIRLOSS AND DAMAGE.

The ladies on this board have given me moisturized hair by hooking me to ORS Carrot Oil. My hair is so grateful because it was dry and dull, but now it is soft and shiny. I have also been inspired by their beautiful and healthy hair as well as their courage, determinination, and activism.

being on this site is like going to the hair doctor. you know when you go to a regular doctor and ask questions about what diet is best for you and etc well i come to learn what condition is best. now i may be spending more but my hair is the happier for it because i was always believing the same old myths of hair and never really trying to learn ways to improve my hair. now i have noticed my hair type has changed as well. for the longest i thought i was 4a/b but my hair now seems to be more 3c/4a. once my braids are out i will know for sure but some areas are definetely 3c. this is exciting to me. the hair is thicker and shinier and softer. i have been moisturizing my scalp and wearing protective styles and trying to be good to my hair. and i thank the ladies of this board for that. with all the knowledge and great advice i get from here i know my hair will thrive.

and also a special thanks for the ladies of nyc. they have told of places to go for haircare and products and i am so thankful because ny is a big city and it is nice to know where to go to get x,y and z without having someone jack up your hair first. its also nice to have options especially when you are not sure of where to go. thank you for everything i really appreciate it. God bless you all.

Taught me that I'm not the only one experiencing certain hair dilemas and I'm not the only one concerned about my hair.

This board has forever cured my "fear of water"!!!!!!
smile.gif
notworthy.gif

Thank you for bumping this thread, DSD!
clap.gif
<ul type="square"> [*]Daily moisture [*]Great Products (e.g., Elucence, effective supps, all-natural solutions to particular hair problems) [*]Ingredient reading! [*]Remaining consistent with hair regimen [*]Every poster, whether (s)he has realized her/his goal or not, has inspired and encouraged me by her/his perseverance. [/list]

[ QUOTE ]
I've learned so much from everyone here!!
And I'm still learning. You all have kept me from making mistakes that would have been really hard on my hair...plus even though I'm a PJ at heart... sometimes coming here stops me from running out and buying the lastest 'fix' cause you all give me the 'real' pros and cons. Then I can make my own decision about wether or not ot buy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus since I've been doing the co washes every other day and rinsing my hair everyday plus pooing my hair every 4 days I don't have any breakage or shedding my hair has gotten healthier since I've joined this site.
rosebud.gif
trampoline.gif
Everyone here has helped me learn how to better take care of my hair and I can't thank you all enough
bouncy.gif

- Daily moisture: this has greatly reduced breakage. Before I found this board I used to grease my scalp and hair instead of moisturizing which was what my hair really needed
- Ingredient reading: I used to put just about anything in my hair without even asking myself if it was right for me
- Consistency: finding what works and sticking to it is the key to sucess

A LOT!

Finally I have a place to read and talk about hair without getting strange looks from people. These days every time I make a recommendation to somebody about their hair they say, "You been reading that board again huh?" But they always take the advice because since coming to this board my hair is looking so much better.

Since joining I
1. started ACV rinses
2. began vitamins (GNC multi for women and ultra hair nourisher)
3. started putting aloe gel in my deep conditioner and leave-in conditioner
4. wash 2 times a week (1 conditioner wash and 1 shampoo wash)
5. tried the milk straightening thing - lets just say it did not work for me (my sister laughed until she cried when I told her about it)
nono.gif

Thanks for all the info. I will try to give back whenever I can!
fan.gif

given me great advice on how to keep my hair healty and the environment is very friendly and encouraging. i am very grateful.

Back