What hairstyles work best for your hair at 8 weeks post or one inch growth?

Junonia

Are you able to wear the same styles with one inch growth or 8 weeks post, as week one of a touch up?

Do you modify your regimen when you have more new growth?

I'm just trying to get some ideas on what to do with my hair when I am at 8 weeks post.

Are you able to wear the same styles with one inch growth or 8 weeks post, as week one of a touch up?

Do you modify your regimen when you have more new growth?

I'm just trying to get some ideas on what to do with my hair when I am at 8 weeks post.

I do wear the same styles. This is something I was not able to do until recently, by tweaking my regimen as I gain more ng.

I do modify my regimen a bit. I usually prepoo with just oil. But when my ng starts to get bushy, I mix the oil with condish, oil, and coconut oil. Heat up the concoction in the microwave and sit under heat for a while.

Also aloe vera on my roots, with the scarf method, lays the roots down really well. Just started doing this last week, and I am so pleased.

My maxiglide just came in the mail this week. I have yet to use it, but I am hoping that it will help me cope with my two textures more successfully. I will continue to rollerset, and start flat-ironing the roots when I have more ng.

Last edited:
Try braid-outs, buns, and maybe even phony ponies b/c you can lay those edges down and dont have to worry about crazy NG.

I do modify my regimen a bit. I usually prepoo with just oil. But when my ng starts to get bushy, I mix the oil with condish, oil, and coconut oil. Heat up the concoction in the microwave and sit under heat for a while.

Also aloe vera on my roots, with the scarf method, lays the roots down really well. Just started doing this last week, and I am so pleased.

My maxiglide just came in the mail this week. I have yet to use it, but I am hoping that it will help me cope with my two textures more successfully. I will continue to rollerset, and start flat-ironing the roots when I have more ng.

I've been considering the scarf method too. My ng is very bushy at 8 weeks post. I can't wear my hair in a decent bun or pony tail without my hair looking wild at the roots . I think I may try the scarf method with coconut oil.

I pretty much wear the same styles because I'm only wearing protective styles anyway.

I use the scarf method a lot and up my cw's to everyday or every other day to control my NG.

Ineedhair, another recent tweak in my regimen that I find to be very helpful with new growth is my Dominican rinse. After I shampoo and deep-condition, I apply some rinse, detangle my hair in the shower with wide-tooth comb. Rinse. And my hair behaves really well!

Ineedhair, another recent tweak in my regimen that I find to be very helpful with new growth is my Dominican rinse. After I shampoo and deep-condition, I apply some rinse, detangle my hair in the shower with wide-tooth comb. Rinse. And my hair behaves really well!

Does the rinse help soften your ng?

I do wear the same styles. This is something I was not able to do until recently, by tweaking my regimen as I gain more ng.

LadyEsquire, what kind of aloe vera do you use on your roots? The gel you can buy in the store? Straight from the plant or what?

I have nothing to add but I am taking notes! I have a few questions to ask about your problem areas, so I'll meet you in PM land. :grin:

LadyEsquire, what kind of aloe vera do you use on your roots? The gel you can buy in the store? Straight from the plant or what?

I bought the Fruit of the Earth brand. I looked for it for months at my local Walgreens and WalMarts unsucessfully. Finally, I recently purchased it online. It doesn't contain any alcohol, fragrance or color. But it does have some stabilizers and preservatives to keep its potency. I thought about buying the plant, but I want the convenience of a hair product in a jar, that I can carry and use anywhere. I have only used it for over a week. I rollerset and then apply it to my edges. So far, its a keeper.

I bought the Fruit of the Earth brand. I looked for it for months at my local Walgreens and WalMarts unsucessfully. Finally, I recently purchased it online. It doesn't contain any alcohol, fragrance or color. But it does have some stabilizers and preservatives to keep its potency. I thought about buying the plant, but I want the convenience of a hair product in a jar, that I can carry and use anywhere. I have only used it for over a week. I rollerset and then apply it to my edges. So far, its a keeper.

Thanks for the info

For you bunners, do you wear a high bun or low bun? Which is better for protecting your nape?

For the longest time, I kept getting breakage, even though I was so good to my hair. I realized that bunning in one area always, was causing it.

Now I vary, to the side, the middle, and I even vary the ponytail holders...I use the claw clips the most now (no breakage).

I continue my rollersetting making a few changes. When I'm freshly relaxed I set on the purple rollers since I wear it straight. From about 4 wks post on I set on the red rollers for more of a curlier look (avator). Sometimes when I get around 10 wks until my relaxer I may opt for the rod look using small roller. But normally I just stick with the red rollers.

Do you modify your regimen when you have more new growth? I step up my conditioning from about 10 wks because this is when detangling becomes a little complicated. I do 2 deep cond with heat during my wash (30 min and then 15 min). I'm 14 wks post now, and so far no problems.

See Bold. Good luck stretching !

Thanks ladies for the ideas. I am definitely going to try the scarf method. For some reason when I do braid outs it does not look good on me. I may have to try again. I may also have to invest in a better flat iron.

I'll be 10 weeks post this Thursday and I still do my weekly rollerset, which straightens my NG if only temporarily lol. As stated by the other posters, its mostly changing up your product to tame the NG.

HTH :drunk:

Back