What goes into a typical wash day?

• Thread starter Thread starter HoneyRockette
  • Start date Start date
H

HoneyRockette

For me, since I wash everyday now, I realized that all of the pre-washing and pre-treating and pre-oiling that I used to do is now obsolete. What goes into a typical shampoo day for you?

Sidebar: Since you wash it everyday what do you do? Ponytail it or what? Airdry/Blowdry? I find the more I wash the less I need to pre-treat/deep condition, it almost gets too soft. I am eager to hear.

I wash my hair in the shower everyday. I wet my hair first and, depending on how much Jam I used the day before, I will shampoo it with a clarifying shampoo. Otherwise I just slab some thick detangling conditioner on while I wash up and shave, (too much information perhaps?) then I rinse with cool water. Once a week I do a hot oil treatment and once a month I do a deep conditioner. After I get out of the shower I towel dry my hair and get dressed. Then I pull my hair back and put some Jam on it and attach my clip on bun thing. That's pretty much my whole wash day. I try to keep it simple so I can keep it up.

Typical "Shampoo" wash day for me is washing my scalp with Kenra Moisturizing Shampoo, Detangling with Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner. Rinse thoroughly and then comb through Biolage Leave-In Tonic. Apply healthy hair butter to new growth (this is the most tedious part). Pull my hair back into a ponytail and apply mixture of gel/pomade to lay my hair down. Put a little hhb on my length and ORS carrot oil or coconut oil on my ends. Put on my scarf for 2 hours. (I haven't been deep conditioning lately b/c I haven't found a new deep conditioner.)

Well, my Wednesday wash night consists of either L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture shampoo or Pantene for Women of Color shampoo; one of my protein conditioners, depending on what I need...serious, medium or light care always with a cap under the dryer for about 20 minutes, moisture from a mix of Kera Care Humecto and Motions Moisture Plus or Humecto alone with a cap and no heat and a final rinse with distilled water. I then spray with Dew or Pantene Women of Color Wrap Lotion and air dry. I put a little oil on when dry, like a little Hot Six or Liv creme. I put rollers on the bottom of my hair and tie up with a scarf and a satin cap over that. Pony tail is the current style sometimes with the ends tucked end and pinned. On the Saturday wash I pre-treat with water and Hot Six, cap and dryer for 30 min or so, or without heat for as long as is convenient and then follow the preceding Wednesday regimen. The closer I get to needing my touch-up the more I have to be careful about those roots. I add John Freida Relax Serum after the last rinse to help with that and then no other products, just air dry. This routine takes major time but I am hoping to end up with gorgeous, healthy hair!

For me it depends on how I am feeling. When not in braids I shampoo with Creme of Nature, moisturize condition with Lekair cholesterol.
I try to do at least one hot oil treatment a month and when I do that I pour olive oil on my hair, put on a plastic cap and sit under the bonnet dryer for 30 min. shampoo with Creme of Nature and then I roller set or wrap or whatever.
For clarifying and protein day, I shampoo first with Paul Mitchell Tea tree shampoo, then I apply a protein treatment (right now Joico K-pak) rinse 15 min no heat, apply lekair cholesterol 30 min with heat, rinse and style as desired.
Now that I am in braids I don't do oil treatments, or conditioning I basically wash once or twice a week and apply Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil with Ginseng and infusium 23.

My wash days are remarkably simple (like many of yours) considering what a fanatic I am about my hair...
laugh.gif

Most of the time in the fall and winter it's just: shampoo with a diluted version of whatever I always use (lather rinse repeat); towel dry lightly and then apply a deep conditioner (sometimes a mild protein, sometimes a heavy mositurizing conditioner); rinse and apply a "finishing" conditioner (otherwise known as a detangler - usually Pantene); rinse and apply a leave in and a serum and rollerset. Sometimes I don't use a serum.
smile.gif
Das all !
laugh.gif

I just finished washing my hair a few minutes ago so i'm really liking this thread. My wash day is wash rinse repeat with CON(green label) squeeze the water out of my hair(not twist, just squeeze) then finish patting it dry with the towel, part my hair down the middle and start blow drying my hair with a comb attachment working from the underneath hair to the hair on top ( i do it this way so that i don't end up using more heat than i need or use the direct heat on my hair longer than i should --this takes about 10 minutes), part my hair from back to front in one inch sections and grease my scalp using Ultra Sheen Anti-itch Hairdress with tea tree oil (this stuff makes my scalp feel all nice and tingly for a couple hours after i use it and NOT dry at all--i love it
bouncy.gif
After that i comb my hair back with a wide tooth comb and into it's scrunchie it goes
smile.gif

Re: What goes into a typical wash day?

My typical wash day is every week. I wash my hair with a moisturizing shampoo and then deep condition with heat for about 15 minutes using a moisiturizing conditioner mixed with jojoba oil. Then I apply a conditiong foam and then rollerset.

I wash my hair twice a week and I do pre-hot oil treatment
with evoo for 20 minutes then shampoo and condition.
I apply my leave-in condtioner and blow dry for 5 min
apply gel and sit under dryer and place my drawstring pony
tails in my hair.

I am so lazy. I wash with CON and condition. I then put some sulfur 8 on for my scalp issues and pur in a ponytail with pomade.

I never deep condition or do pre-treatments. It's bad, very bad, but if my hair starts crying out for help, I'll definitely start doing them.

I've cut my shampoos down to once a week for now. Shampoo in the shower, condition with Humectress w/heat for 30 min -rinse, add leave-ins and oil, braid to airdry. Once a month use Keraphix w/heat for 30 min., prior to Humectress.

I shampoo every Sunday now. I alternate between several shampoos- CON, Therappe and Aloe Rid clarifying shampoos. I deep condition afterwards with Kerastase masquintense for 30 minutes with heat, followed by Headress with jojoba oil and glycerine mixed in. When it's damp, I use either aloe vera gel or Pantene curls gel. The combinaton makes my hair very soft and I wear my hair out for now. In between, I condition wash with Pantene hydrating curls. I'll do a protein conditioner when I think my hair needs it. Oh and I do a hot oil treament prior to shampooing.

[ QUOTE ]
nita4 said:
I've cut my shampoos down to once a week for now. Shampoo in the shower, condition with Humectress w/heat for 30 min -rinse, add leave-ins and oil, braid to airdry. Once a month use Keraphix w/heat for 30 min., prior to Humectress.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did you decide to cut to once a week? I am considering this as well. Not only to save time, but I am thinking that I messing with wet hair a little too much and that is not helping with shedding.

My routine in general has been wash with CON, deep condition under the dryer with protein or moisturizing conditioner, doing a balancing moisturizer, air drying, then creme moisturizing, flat iron, and oil. All to just pull back in a ponytail (or bun) with a scrunchie.

I wash weekly.

First, I do a hot oil treatment with EVOO/rosemary eo. I then shampoo with diluted CON ultra moisturizing formula. I always deep condition with Lekair cholestorol. I recently mixed it with honey, shea butter, EVOO and mayo (softness and elasticity galore!). I then rinse that mixture out and spray my hair with Clairol herbal essences leave-in. Once my hair is detangled, I twist my hair using shea butter/olive oil/castor oil. I go back and massage some castor/EVOO/rosemary on my scalp. I then let it air dry.

I wash daily (except on weekends when i wash on thursday night and then not again until sunday night)

Typicially, I first do a 5 minute head massage and then put on for example. v05 strawberries and creme conditioner for 5 minutes then I apply more conditioner and shampoo my scalp and then rinse out any extra conditioner with cold water. Then I apply motions conditioner for 15-20 minutes with a cap and then rinse in cold water, followed with cold distilled water/acv rinse. Then I put on my leave in, moisturizer, and oil or serum. Then my hair goes in ponytail to airdry overnight before I put in in a protective style in the morning.
I do hot oil treatments once a week and I do lekair deep conditioning once a week.
(On the weekends, it's a little different because I actually style my hair to be straight or curly that lasts for 3 days)

Sunday: Shampoo with Therappe Condition with a mixture of Humectress and EVOO, Use Headress as a leave in with a few drops of WGO and set.

Wednesday: Same as above without the EVOO and I use a little scurl and dry in a ponytail.

I'll use keraphix if needed before the Humectress.

<font color="brown">I wash every 4 days. I usually use one of the following routines:

1. Preshampoo treatment (conditioner, hot oil, or coconut milk &amp; honey)
2. Shampoo
3. ACV Rinse
4. Condition
5. Leave-in, Moisturize, and Set (or Air-dry)

~OR~

1. Shampoo
2. ACV Rinse
3. Deep Condition (either moisture or protein, depending on needs)
4. Leave-in, Moisturize, and Set (or Air-dry)

The only time I deviate from these routines is when I apply the ApHogee treatment.

AngieK </font>

Conditioner wash approx 4 x a week with Suave Tropical Coconut. Once a week I'll use Aubrey Organics GPB. Leave it in while I shower or if at the gym, sit in the steam room with it on for a little while. Rinse, use Suave again as a leave in, seal with Hot Six Oil and do 2 pigtails drying over night (or a bun if returning to work).

Once a week e.g Friday night I'll do a rollarset using lanza p.plus shampoo and a moisurizing conditioner (LUST, Mizani moisturefuse, Kerastase), rollar set and wrap over night.

Try and do the baggie technique overnight on ends once per week or once per 2 weeks.

[ QUOTE ]
HoneyRockette said:
For me, since I wash everyday now, I realized that all of the pre-washing and pre-treating and pre-oiling that I used to do is now obsolete. What goes into a typical shampoo day for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honeyrocket, I found that too. That Putting oil on before, just to wash it out, then putting oil in afterward was really a waste.

I found that simple is the best, I wash (I try to) every 3-4 days but have gotten lazier sometimes it's been 5, but I alternate one wash deep cond, the next just a regular rinse out cond. Then I force my husband to pour distilled over for a final rinse. Dew, Coconut Oil, In a Bun. Done.

DeQ:

Mostly because it was becoming to time consuming and I got lazy. I wear pinned up styles that I don't have to manipulate often. I like it simple, I moisturize/comb in the morning &amp; evening and pretty much leave my hair alone.

Just a suggestion, but wouldn't it be easier for you to shampoo/condition, airdry, creme moisturize, oil and then just put into a bun and eliminate the heat?? This could save you some time.

Once a week, I:

Shampoo in the shower, twice;rinse and towel blot; apply a moisturizing conditioning treatment w/heat and plastic cap for 30 minutes; rinse; towel blot and comb out; apply leave in; comb out; roller set; dry under hood dryer for approx. 40 minutes; allow set to cool for 10 minutes; remove rollers, and apply hair/scalp oil; do a doobie, and return to hood dryer for five to ten minutes; style, and roller set for bed.

northernbelle

Typical Wash Day For Me:

1. Pre-Shampoo Treatment
2. Shampoo
3. Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
4. Protein Conditioner (Once A Month)
5. Moisturizing Conditioner / Hot Oil Treatment Combination
6. Leave-In Conditioner
7. Moisturizer
8. Serum

When I'm not in braids, I'll wash once a week. That routine consists of:
1. Lathering up with Dr. Bronners Lavender Castille Soap (the liquid form)
2. Combing through with a wide-tooth comb
3. Rinsing out
4. Tying up in a puff
5. Applying my CFC spray moisturizer

In braids, it's a fortnightly event.
1. Pour my Dr. B into a nozzle-applicator bottle and apply to my scalp going through the braids row by row. (I create the rows manually).
2. Let it sit in my scalp for 5 mns.
3. Gently rinse out, allowing water to hit scalp with force.
4. Spray scalp and body of braids with my Rosemary spritz.

Since my hair is natural right now, I rinse everyday and I shampoo maybe once per month or as needed.

Basically, I do conditioner washes with Suave then follow with a moisturizing leave-in. Once per week I'll do a protein treatment.

When my hair is pressed, I wash once per week with shampoo or conditioner. It just depends. I know that doing a conditioner wash on pressed hair may sound crazy, but it works for me. Go figure! LOL! I then follow up with a moisturizing leave-in.

Back